Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Perfect Little Angel

Default Re: Floating Stair

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Maybe the free Sketchup isn't so bad after all.

This from someone with a $4,000 camera setup that's shopping for lenses?
Old 08-15-2008, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post

This from someone with a $4,000 camera setup that's shopping for lenses?

That's why free software sounds so good, I'm suffering from EWS.

(Empty Wallet Syndrome)
Old 08-15-2008, 10:56 PM

Solidworks is a full blown Cad system with an almost unlimited suite of add-ons. You can spend enough on it to equip a nice shop full of Festools if you bought some of the companion stuff. We have it where I work so I am lucky.

How are the stair plans coming, Eiji?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Actually, I thought the US base version was more like $5K. But again, these could be pretty expensive stairs! Like Greg, I get all my expensive software through work.

I agree - the free version of SketchUp is just the thing!
Old 08-15-2008, 11:11 PM

Poto,
That was a conservative guess all I know where I used to work for 5 seats and training was over 70k, but for ease and speed our productivity took off .....to give you an idea of what it can do with all the bells and whistles on, Eiji could draw his stairs and specify the materials and then preform a stress test within the program, I believe, as I have said before I am not an expert.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-15-2008, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

I have a friend who uses SolidWorks to design the pumps that you've seen if you've ever had an IV. He also uses it to design his bannister, fence, gate, planting bed, etc. He's an amazingly meticulous engineer and carpenter. A perfectionist's perfectionist!

On the other hand, it takes him years to finish anything...
Old 08-16-2008, 01:24 AM

I am going to start a new Solidworks thread in the cafe as some people seem to be interested, and Eiji's original thread is suffering, thanks
Old 08-16-2008, 01:26 AM

you might use cosmos. i am reluctant to get into software slinging. i have the benefit of having a great selection of software to use. to my way of thinking software is just another set of tools, unfortunately if all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail. same with software, but solid works is good stuff but not the only tool in the box.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:27 AM

Default Solidworks

here are a couple of video's showing SolidWorks stress testing ability

Old 08-16-2008, 01:41 AM

Tallgrass,
No one is saying that SolidWorks is the only tool in the box, after Ricks comment earlier about using SolidWorks to make certain illustrations and my comment regarding SolidWorks the thread started to drift as people who are not aware of the programs ability were curious, to save Eiji's thread I have started a solidworks thread in the Cafe, I would certainly like to hear of other software in this vien and as you seem to have knowlage of these sort of products I certainly would love to hear your opinions there.