talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 03:47 AM

Default A massive thankyou!

Over the past few weeks I have received three Bridge City tool works, tools from members here. These tools were well beyond my reach, and the good members here, took it upon themselves to make sure I could experience these fine tools for myself. For that I'm forever grateful and I truly don't know how I ever deserved to have such good friends

I have a list of the members that made this happen, one has remained anonymous. I thankyou all from the bottom of my heart.

I have photo's to show You, but my albums are still in crazy mode and I'm not able to add photos at all.

A few weeks ago I received a package from Fred West, containing a CT-5 & CT-8 (hand vice and 20degree precision block plane). These were his own tools.
They really are beautiful and functional. Fred did a fine job on the plane blade, and it was ready to go right away This will be a very good plane for me. It's solid and weighty for its size and glides over wood with an almost arrogance I'm sure partly due to the well honed blade.
This will be great for fitting cabinet backs into the rebate, flushing dovetails and other joints and tweaking drawers at the fitting stage..among many other jobs I'll have for it

The hand vice I can see will be useful to me when making handles and pulls for cabinets and drawers. I'll no longer have to try holding small parts with one hand, while shaping, sanding and final tweaking with the other. Thank You Fred

This weekend I received a package containing a CT-12 smoother in a wonderful walnut box. This belonged to Poto.
This is a list I received of members that made this happen. You're wonderfully generous people, and I still can't believe these tools are actually here. What wonderful people this forum has

Fred West
Shawn R. (ShawnR)
Scott Williams (Scottw)
Guy Caldwell (bentbeam)
John Raftery (joraft)
Ron Wenner (ronwen)
Callan Campbell (Leakyroof)
Rutager West (Rutager)
Masood Garahi (Masood)
Neil Clemmons (neilc)
Anonymous
Peter Franks (Poto)

The CT-12 is really like nothing else I have. It is a real solid smoother. The quality of materials and finish is first class!! it's such a beautiful tool to look at, it's presence demands You to reach your best work possible.
With its unique, hinged iron cap it really does hold the blade down in place making it absolutely solid.
I sharpened up the blade and took it for a ride on some ribbon sapele. It wizzed over that, throwing the shaving out with the same arrogance of the block plane So, I found the nastiest piece of wood I could... a real nasty piece of swirly walnut, I wish I could show you it, it's nasty
The CT-12 took it on, and that's when I could tell how solid it really is there's no mistaking how well this plane is built, for a plane set at 40degrees going over that nasty stuff I was very surprised and happy to see how well it did.. it really is a special plane
Thank You all very Much!!!
Okami.

Last edited by Okami; 06-17-2012 at 04:14 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-17-2012, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: A massive thankyou!

Wonderful, Okamisan! I'm so glad that the plane arrived safely, and that its arrogance overpowered the wood it met on its first trip to Japan! I hope that you get great pleasure out of it, and that your customers occasionally notice the beautiful finish it leaves. Everyone was more than happy to help out on this. There's nothing that brings more joy than getting a good tool into the hands of a great craftsman!
Old 06-17-2012, 11:17 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Congratulations Okami!

No one is more deserving of fine tools.
Although I'll miss reading how your modest planes
"do the job just fine thank you".

Fred West
Shawn R. (ShawnR)
Scott Williams (Scottw)
Guy Caldwell (bentbeam)
John Raftery (joraft)
Ron Wenner (ronwen)
Callan Campbell (Leakyroof)
Rutager West (Rutager)
Masood Garahi (Masood)
Neil Clemmons (neilc)
Anonymous
Peter Franks (Poto)

Well done gentlemen
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-17-2012, 11:50 PM

Thanks Michael!
No fear, I still have and will use my old modest fleet, with cutting angles up to 62degrees on smoother jack and jointer, I still rely on them also. Maybe my veritas smoother will see less action though
Old 06-17-2012, 11:53 PM

Congrats Okamisan! So very cool! What a great community we have here.
Well done all of you involved in getting him these beautiful tools!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-18-2012, 07:53 AM

Since I can't add these Photo's to an album, I'm going to try thumbnail attachments
Attached Thumbnails
massive-thankyou-img_0251-1-.jpg   massive-thankyou-img_0252-1-.jpg   massive-thankyou-img_0253-1-.jpg   massive-thankyou-img_0254-1-.jpg   massive-thankyou-img_0255-1-.jpg  

massive-thankyou-img_0257-1-.jpg  
Old 06-18-2012, 08:00 AM

Hey, it worked
Here's more..
Attached Thumbnails
massive-thankyou-img_0236-1-.jpg   massive-thankyou-img_0258-1-.jpg   massive-thankyou-img_0260-1-.jpg   massive-thankyou-img_0261-1-.jpg   massive-thankyou-img_0262-1-.jpg  

Old 06-18-2012, 08:06 AM

Last batch of thumbnails
Attached Thumbnails
massive-thankyou-img_0263-1-.jpg   massive-thankyou-img_0264-1-.jpg   massive-thankyou-img_0265-1-.jpg   massive-thankyou-img_0266-1-.jpg   massive-thankyou-img_0267-1-.jpg  

Old 06-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, Okmisan! Those are some beautiful, fluffy shavings, and an amazing smooth surface. You've tuned that plane up really well. Doesn't it have a nice feel to it? I loved seeing it on my workbench - those double dovetails are just so cool and elegant.

I can see you'll have fun with this. Congratulations! We're all looking forward to seeing pictures of a build using the plane.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:53 PM

Okami,

You're welcome, now you can see and feel what us crazy tool hoarding freaks live for.

The CT-12, in my opinion is the nicest all around BCTW bench plane. It has the articulated cap iron and the inlayed cheek beneath the front tote.

Look forward to seeing your best work,
Rutager