talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 09:16 PM

Default Re: My friend, Christy Valenti

Fred,
I was lucky enough to converse with Christy via email several times this year. I was interested in the 6 inch double square he offered for sale. Initially he wanted to leave it to a family member, but eventually decided to sell it to me, because he felt I would put it to better use. Seeing his initials every time I use this tool will make me remember him in some way, and hopefully it will make him smile.
Sorry for your loss,
Gary
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensonortho View Post
Fred,
I was lucky enough to converse with Christy via email several times this year. I was interested in the 6 inch double square he offered for sale. Initially he wanted to leave it to a family member, but eventually decided to sell it to me, because he felt I would put it to better use. Seeing his initials every time I use this tool will make me remember him in some way, and hopefully it will make him smile.
Sorry for your loss,
Gary
Gary, Ron, John, Chris, Scott and Alex,

First thank you all for the beautiful things that you wrote. A couple of nights ago, I received a call from one of Christy's sisters. She had apparently seen the email between Christy and me as well as the texts. She was calling first to make sure that I knew he had died and secondly to thank me for being there for her brother over the last year. It was such a sweet call and greatly touched me. Just as Gary mentioned here and Rutager did in an email, I know that several of us purposefully bought some of Christy's tools with his name or initials on them so that we would remember him. His sister told me that this meant so much to her.

Anyway, thank you all that have written about, read about or purchased tools from Christy.

In the meantime, let me apologize to each of you as this thread reads like it is about me and it should only be about Christy. I am sorry that Masood, Rutager and Paul-Marcel have not weighed in as they too were hugely instrumental in helping Christy and he thought the world of them also. Rightly so as they are wonderful people and they too stepped up to help. Peter was also one of those that helped out tremendously and I can tell each and everyone of you that whether you bought no tools, one or two or a lot, what Christy treasured was the contact and so each of your email, texts or phone calls were precious to him. He can no longer thank you but I can and do. If you think about it, one of these nights please raise a glass to Christy, a truly fine human.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-20-2012, 05:51 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

Today I poked my head out from under a way too crazy job schedule and found this thread; not one I wanted to read since I could guess the topic.

I didn't know Christy until I bought some tools from him; then I got his number and would call him when I was in the shop. I had to remember to charge up the headset because I'd talk to him until he couldn't talk anymore, which was close to the life of my headset!! Very interesting fellow; we mostly talked woodworking and some topics I can't write here

He had a keen interest in my latest project and indirectly resulted in its code name MMF, which again I can't write here If you ever felt like you got a lot done in a day, phone him up. Greatly hampered by Lou Gerhig's, his daily accomplishments never ceased to make me feel more than a little lazy.

Sadly, my schedule has kept me from the shop (ha! life!) for over 5 weeks now; one of his tools is on the bench right now as a reminder when I get in there to call and catch up. I'll leave it there awhile.

I didn't think he'd go this quickly, but then the disease has a certain randomness that can take out something that can't be taken away. His big ambition (among many) was to complete making a picnic table out of the stump of a huge 40 year old tree that was felled during a storm (one. hell. of. a. storm). Had the first picnic planned to every detail; sadly, won't happen.

But, after first contacting him and chatting for a long time, subsequent tools I bought I requested those with his name on them so I'll be reminded of this Tunnel Rat for a very long time.

Thanks for posting, Fred
Old 06-21-2012, 01:33 AM

My heart felt thanks to all of you who knew, posted, befriended or bought from my brother Chris. He was a good brother and will be sorely missed. It was astounding the number of tools he was able to sell. And he was very diligent about getting the orders out, all the way to within days of his passing. I'm sure he feared his sisters wouldn't know what to do with these tools and they would end up rusting in some unmentionable place. Oh, the horror!

Not only did he own such fine tools, he put them to good use. I am the recipient of several fine examples of his work.

When Chris left this earth there were 3 books in his hospital room and the latest subscription to "Fine Wood Working" magazine. It was his passion to the end.

Thank you for your kind words. I learned some things about Christy I never knew.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:22 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterSue View Post
My heart felt thanks to all of you who knew, posted, befriended or bought from my brother Chris. He was a good brother and will be sorely missed. It was astounding the number of tools he was able to sell. And he was very diligent about getting the orders out, all the way to within days of his passing. I'm sure he feared his sisters wouldn't know what to do with these tools and they would end up rusting in some unmentionable place. Oh, the horror!

Not only did he own such fine tools, he put them to good use. I am the recipient of several fine examples of his work.

When Chris left this earth there were 3 books in his hospital room and the latest subscription to "Fine Wood Working" magazine. It was his passion to the end.

Thank you for your kind words. I learned some things about Christy I never knew.
Sue,

You are more than welcome for everything that was written here and if you learned some things about your brother, first I hope that they were all good and secondly there was so much more that was not written. Just as Paul-Marcel wrote, when you got on the phone with Christy, you got on the phone. Up until the end, every conversation we had went at least an hour but felt like it was just a few minutes. We spoke about Japanese culture, tools and woodworking, politics, woodworking, the military, tools, religions, woodworking, kindness, tools, siblings, woodworking, parents, tools, gardening, tools. No topic was off limits and Christy was extremely well read.

One thing that we spoke about a lot was you and your sister. He was so thankful and grateful for all of your help and love. As you know far better than I ever will, Christy was not super emotional but as I got to know him better, I learned to hear the excitement in his voice the closer that your visits got. He loved when you were there and you all gave him great comfort.

Should either you or your sister need to or would like to please feel free to call me. I really miss him as do so many others. Thank you for writing.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 06-21-2012, 03:30 AM

Old 06-22-2012, 05:34 PM

I too am sorry to hear of his passing. Lou Gehrigs disease is not a nice way to go out. Sounds like he took more of it in stride than many other people could have attempted to. My condolences to all his friends and family, and to you Fred, who stayed with him through friendship till the very end....
Old 06-22-2012, 06:13 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post
I too am sorry to hear of his passing. Lou Gehrigs disease is not a nice way to go out. Sounds like he took more of it in stride than many other people could have attempted to. My condolences to all his friends and family, and to you Fred, who stayed with him through friendship till the very end....

Callam,

Thank you so much for your very kind words. Christy was truly one of a kind.

Fred
Old 06-24-2012, 04:49 AM

Golly, what a warm and interesting thread. I'm sorry I hadn't chimed in earlier - as Fred knows, time off in the summer here is a rare thing indeed. But I see this set of posts now, and it reaffirms what a truly fine group of people all of you are. Godspeed to your friend, Fred, and your brother, Sue.