talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Default My colleague, Jules Jaffe

As many of you know, I do a lot of my research with a truly wonderful guy named Jules Jaffe, here at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography. Jules is a renaissance man - he does everything from designing and building underwater cameras and acoustic systems, to building furniture (a chair of his just won a prize at the Del Mar Fair).

The local paper, the San Diego Union Tribune, just did a front-page article on him. Here's a link to it - it's pretty fun!

Going deep with oceanographer Jules Jaffe | UTSanDiego.com
Old 06-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Default Re: My colleague, Jules Jaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

The local paper, the San Diego Union Tribune, just did a front-page article on him. Here's a link to it - it's pretty fun!
Good article, Peter, thanks for posting it.

As you may remember, my wife and I got to meet Jules when you brought him on our Maloof field trip. What an interesting guy, and with a great sense of humor.

By the way, I think it's very generous of you to let Jules use your research vessel.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Great article - and they even quoted you, Peter! You should get him hooked up with Festo to create some really amazing robots. If they can make a real mechanical flying bird, imagine what they can do with aquatic creatures! A research squid - mechanical calamarri that can swim (not sleep) with the fishes. (Sorry, I saw "The Godfather" 37 times when I worked in a movie theater during High School.)

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-11-2012, 04:04 AM

Neat guy, good article. I'd love to meet him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-11-2012, 04:07 AM
Super Moderator

Alex, I've been thinking the same thing. I'd love to work with those Festo guys - get them to build a robot that does something useful!

Randy, you'd love him. Except for the really, really bad puns. You might want to kill him for those...

BTW, the original article had some lines about his bad puns, and I had a "zinger" comment back. Something like, "At least his wife thinks he's funny..."
Old 06-11-2012, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

When was Jules at UB? I went to SUCB in the 70's.

I have puns & coffee for breakfast everyday. My wife thinks I'm a groan man.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 06-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Randy and I might have to kill you, too, Alex.

Jules doesn't talk much about his Buffalo years. But I have heard the Bo Diddley story several times. Complete with accents. It's hilarious every time!