Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Default Re: USS Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriceBurrell View Post

If it's on Wikipedia, it must be true.
As much as I hate to question Wikipedia, the photo and video seem to indicate otherwise.

As Alex said, the gun recoil can cause the ship to list as much as 15 degrees. I wonder if that wake could be created as the ship rights itself.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:56 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

I don't get the same impression of ship movement from the video as from the photo. The most "telling" hint of sideways movement in the photo is that bit of lateral bow wake but that could be from something other than cannon recoil.

The visual effect that is consistent in both the still and video is the white trail on the surface of the water that mirrors the shell path. It's probably an artifact of the ring of compressed air the shell produces.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-12-2012, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post

I don't get the same impression of ship movement from the video as from the photo. The most "telling" hint of sideways movement in the photo is that bit of lateral bow wake but that could be from something other than cannon recoil.

The visual effect that is consistent in both the still and video is the white trail on the surface of the water that mirrors the shell path. It's probably an artifact of the ring of compressed air the shell produces.
When I visit the Iowa I'll ask them to fire off a few rounds so I can check it out.

I'll have them aim towards Catalina Island. It's about 26 miles off the mainland, so the projectiles SHOULD fall short.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Fred, let me know when you're going, maybe I'll head back there. It looks like it would be worth the trip!

John,

That was really cool and I can't wait to get back up there. I also love how you presented the pictures as if it were a story. Alex, maybe when you get back here in July, we can go up together. I think I could spend a week there and not get bored.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-12-2012, 07:01 PM

As big as the shells are, you would think that you would see them in the photo after leaving the barrel. I have seen quite a few photos of the Fairchild A-10 Warthog firing the 30mm rounds and at least one round will be visible in front of the gatling gun, headed on its way to the target. I guess there is a lot of difference between a 30mm round firing at 60+ rounds per second, verses a 16" shell firing at maybe 1 round per minute, but the size difference just makes me think that a shell should be visible somewhere beyond the tip of the barrel. I also guess that anyone taking photos of the 16" guns firing would probably not be in a position to do this more than once, and only from a good distance away.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

The spectacular balls of fire leave the barrel after the shell, so they are already out of the picture. The muzzle velocity was 2,500'-2,650' Ft/sec., so the shell was probably a good quarter mile away before the picture was taken.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959