talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Default Geezers Rock!

I went to the Beach Boys' 50th Anniversary Celebration at the Hollywood Bowl last night. This will likely be the last time all the founding members of the group ever tour together again.

All I can say is

Great concert, fully of energy. It lasted almost 3 hours, with them playing just about everything they've ever produced.

Mike Love is the oldest guy in the group, and is now 71.

They started out in 1961, first known as the "Pendletones", a play on the name of the plaid Pendleton shirts that were very popular with SoCal surfers back in the sixties.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re: Geezers Rock!

I saw the Beach Boys in Buffalo, NY in 1973. My sister & I had just arrived in town to start college at SUCB and wandered downtown from the Holiday Inn we were staying at with the family. We saw the Century Theater (RIP) with the billboard for the concert. It had just started and we walked up and bought two $5 tickets and got right in. It was great!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post

... It had just started and we walked up and bought two $5 tickets and got right in. It was great!
My, how things have changed, the super seats at the Bowl were $75.00 each with box seats going for several times that.

And for $3000 per ticket you could "meet and greet" with the Boys before the show.

I'm a big fan (although not $6000 dollars worth ), I've probably been to a dozen of their concerts over the past several decades. A few years ago we saw Brian Wilson and his band at the Bowl, they sounded very much like the real thing. In fact some of the performers on this tour are from that band. Lots of great talent!

Old 06-04-2012, 12:18 PM

Brian Wilson, what a composer and producer. If you haven't seen the series of videos about the making of the Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds" LP, check this out:

Old 06-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

That was so cool, Tico. Thanks so much for posting that. I'm always amazed at how record producers and movie directors have the whole concept in their heads, while dealing with minutiae that seem so far removed from the big picture. Imagine putting together all those instruments - including two accordians, two twelve-string guitars, three basses, three percussionists, and a group of singers doing quite complex vocals - all in bits and pieces.

My favorite example of that is Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody". Apparently Freddy Mercury conceptualized it, and had the band doing little snippets of it (Bismillah! Never let him go!) individually. Until Freddy had put all the little disparate bits together, nobody had a clue what was going on - except for Freddy. Wow!
Old 06-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
My, how things have changed, the super seats at the Bowl were $75.00 each with box seats going for several times that.

And for $3000 per ticket you could "meet and greet" with the Boys before the show.

I'm a big fan (although not $6000 dollars worth ), I've probably been to a dozen of their concerts over the past several decades. A few years ago we saw Brian Wilson and his band at the Bowl, they sounded very much like the real thing. In fact some of the performers on this tour are from that band. Lots of great talent!

John,

What a great concert that must have been. I have always loved the Beach Boys but have NEVER been to one of their concerts. That is quite pathetic but none the less true. So, if this happens again, I say just chuck a wig on me and I will be Ann for the night. However, as matter of clarification let me just say that my night ends as soon as the concert ends.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31