talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Founding Member

Default What a gift from two marvelous people

Gents,

As some of you know, I recently received a magnificent gift from Okami and his wonderful wife Kanako. In response to a need that Okami had I ended up sending him a jig that I owned but did not use. Unfortunately there were two major pieces that went with this jig that I did not have nor had I even known that they existed. I bought it four years ago and the inventor/owner was very difficult to deal with and as Okami found he could not even get a reply from the man.

Anyway, long story short, Okami and Kanako went out and order a gift for me in return. I had told Okami that mine was a gift to him so that there was no need for a repayment. However, he insisted so I agreed to a gift that equaled the cost of the shipping. They however, paid no attention to our agreement and I received a gift that was far better than the one I gave especially since it had two major missing parts.

So, with all due thanks to Okami and Kanako, here are the pictures of this beautiful Japanese chef's knife that they had made for me. Not only did they do that but they convinced the blacksmith to put my name on the blade in the Kanji characters right next to his name. The blacksmith's name is Koshino Tadamori. My knife is a short Deba profile which is mostly used for cutting up fish and chicken. The blade is a single bevel made from white steel #2 with a beautiful Damascus pattern. The handle is made from Magnolia wood and the two black ferrules are from Water Buffalo horns.

A wonderful gift that I did not deserve but Okami and Kanako absolutely deserve the recognition as well as my heartfelt thanks for what they did.

Fred

Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: What a gift from two marvelous people

What a beautiful, graceful knife, Fred. I love the watery Damascus pattern.

I'm going to have to start sending old tools to Okamisan...
Old 04-26-2012, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Wow, Fred! That is a beautiful knife! Now you can chop up steaks for the dogs. So when is WIA going to be back in PA for another dinner party?

Seriously, that was very generous of Okami & Kanako. It proves once again that the best people in the world are here at talkFestool!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

... I'm going to have to start sending old tools to Okamisan...
I'm busy packaging up a rusty old shovel right now.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post

Guys,

I am ready to have a WIA dinner party here anytime you all want. Just tell me what I need to have here, I will say that I have it and then Peter, John, Scott W and Michael Kellough will come and say what the hell are you talking about, you have nothing. We must go shopping right now. In the meantime, I will be twirling some of my hair and go, huh?????? But then to surprise everyone, I will pull out the magnificent knife that Okami and Kanako gave me and all will be forgiven. Yes, the best people are the ones here.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 04-27-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I'm going to have to start sending old tools to Okamisan...
I'll take that old Marcou you've got laying about the place, potosan
Old 04-27-2012, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
I'll take that old Marcou you've got laying about the place, potosan
Hmmmm. Maybe not.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:59 AM

Wow, Okami, that's one beautiful knife! Why Fred? If I get the spares for the Band saw jig, do I get one too?...

In jealousy,

Rob
Old 04-27-2012, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post

On The Floor....
Old 04-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausrob View Post
Wow, Okami, that's one beautiful knife! Why Fred? If I get the spares for the Band saw jig, do I get one too?...

In jealousy,

Rob
Rob,

That is an excellent question and I think you need to speech directumundoly with his Okaminess. There are two pieces in particular that he needs are the router template and the plastic white ribbed template guide. I have no idea how much those two pieces cost or even how to get them but my bet is that whomever finds them for Okami will have his deepest thanks and he will send you a picture of my knife.

Seriously, anyone that knows how to get these two items, I will gladly pay for them as well as whatever is necessary to ship them to Okami as I owe him.

Fred