talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Poto's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 8,996
Default Re: Once again, California is to lead the nation.........

By the way, my daughter is probably not in a representative school, but she's doing things in math and science that are WAY beyond anything I did at her age. And she's in the slow math class.

Admittedly, there are kids in her class who have grades (out of 100) in the single digits. But I don't think it's our education system that's broken. These teachers are working their a$$e$ off, and getting paid a pittance. I think the problems start at home, where families don't value education, don't read, don't know how to do math, know nothing about science. Asians aren't inherently smarter or better at math than the rest of us - they just work their butts off. You look at the student population of a high-tech university like UCSD, and it's probably 40% or more Asian. Way out of proportion with the general population. Why the over-representation? Because education is highly valued at home. There's something to this "Tiger Mom" thing...
__________________
I don't have as many Festools as Fred. Or Marcou's, or Brese's, or Lie-Nielsen's, or Lee Valley's, or Blue Spruce's, or Harold and Saxon's, or...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Perfect Little Angel
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bakersfield, CA.
Posts: 678
Default Re: Once again, California is to lead the nation.........

Peter,

Growing up with you two there's no way she is representative. It's not even representative looking in your neighborhood. I agree that almost all of it starts at home as you do. That's why my kids were always above their peers as well. I'll disagree that teachers are paid a pittance (although some work very hard and worth more than they receive) though. I would hardly think a 70K salary, tenure, retirement, etc. for about 8 months of annual work is a pittance. We have been highly involved in our own kids education, as well as many of our friends kids and many of the activities and teachings at the schools are appalling. I blame the actual over priced ineffective system over the teachers. They are a symptom at this point and not the cause. If you actually speak one on one with them, they are as, or more upset about it than most of us.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
By the way, my daughter is probably not in a representative school, but she's doing things in math and science that are WAY beyond anything I did at her age. And she's in the slow math class.

Admittedly, there are kids in her class who have grades (out of 100) in the single digits. But I don't think it's our education system that's broken. These teachers are working their a$$ off, and getting paid a pittance. I think the problems start at home, where families don't value education, don't read, don't know how to do math, know nothing about science. Asians aren't inherently smarter or better at math than the rest of us - they just work their butts off. You look at the student population of a high-tech university like UCSD, and it's probably 40% or more Asian. Way out of proportion with the general population. Why the over-representation? Because education is highly valued at home. There's something to this "Tiger Mom" thing...
__________________
Chris...
www.brckitchenbath.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2012, 05:36 PM
joraft's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Fernando Valley (SoCal)
Posts: 6,575
Default Re: Once again, California is to lead the nation.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

Oh. My. God.

There's a marriage doomed to failure.
Not necessarily. I think he showed remarkable patience and understanding.

Those are very important components in a long term relationship.


.
__________________
John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Poto's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 8,996
Default Re: Once again, California is to lead the nation.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Not necessarily. I think he showed remarkable patience and understanding.

Those are very important components in a long term relationship.


.
He did, John. But how long can it last? I would think that at some point she'd get pissed off at being shown that she was stupid all the time. I know I do.
__________________
I don't have as many Festools as Fred. Or Marcou's, or Brese's, or Lie-Nielsen's, or Lee Valley's, or Blue Spruce's, or Harold and Saxon's, or...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Poto's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 8,996
Default Re: Once again, California is to lead the nation.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
Peter,

Growing up with you two there's no way she is representative. It's not even representative looking in your neighborhood. I agree that almost all of it starts at home as you do. That's why my kids were always above their peers as well. I'll disagree that teachers are paid a pittance (although some work very hard and worth more than they receive) though. I would hardly think a 70K salary, tenure, retirement, etc. for about 8 months of annual work is a pittance. We have been highly involved in our own kids education, as well as many of our friends kids and many of the activities and teachings at the schools are appalling. I blame the actual over priced ineffective system over the teachers. They are a symptom at this point and not the cause. If you actually speak one on one with them, they are as, or more upset about it than most of us.
You're absolutely right, Chris. I guess the problem is the "patchiness" in the quality of education. I bet your kids are doing really well because you and Annette demand it. I thought I had a good education, but my parents now tell me that it was awful! So I guess I survived it, rather than flourished because of it. And certainly that's strongly due to the attitudes my family instilled in me from birth.

But even a good teacher can't do all the work. There has to be support at home. It kills me to meet some of Gillian's friends (8th grade) who are clearly really smart, and pulling down F's in math. Why?!? If that were my kid (and it was) I'd get extra tutoring, work with them at home, teach them how to learn and study. I think that a large segment of society is losing that drive to learn, to be educated, to respect learning, teaching and education. I worry about people who talk about the "elite" - meaning people with university degrees - as though it was a bad thing. That can't be good for society at large. We need the elite - they drive innovation. Not exclusively. But most of the high-paying, high-tech jobs require - and benefit from - an advanced degree. Now we're having to import this skilled labor from India and China. What's with that?!? We have some of the best universities in the world here.
__________________
I don't have as many Festools as Fred. Or Marcou's, or Brese's, or Lie-Nielsen's, or Lee Valley's, or Blue Spruce's, or Harold and Saxon's, or...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Wonderwino's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Posts: 2,891
Default Re: Once again, California is to lead the nation.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Not necessarily. I think he showed remarkable patience and understanding.

Those are very important components in a long term relationship.


.
Perhaps he needs to have her start attending Kahn Academy. Khan Academy http://www.khanacademy.org/science/p...lving-for-time


He definitely married below his intelligence level, or she has a learning disability.
__________________
Water separates the people of the world; wine unites them.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959

Last edited by Wonderwino; 03-22-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 PM
joraft's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Fernando Valley (SoCal)
Posts: 6,575
Default Re: Once again, California is to lead the nation.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post

... If you actually speak one on one with them, they are as, or more upset about it than most of us.
I think that's true.

My daughter taught kindergarten for five years before taking an extended leave to have and raise her two daughters. She is an absolute natural at being a teacher, and she loves teaching, but she is now thinking about not returning to the profession because of her frustration with the system.

I think her biggest frustration was having such a large class with over half of the kids not speaking English. And, parents who do not understand the importance of education, thinking that kindergarten is nothing more than taxpayer funded day care.

.
__________________
John
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2012, 12:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 583
Default Re: Once again, California is to lead the nation.........

Guys,

First off, she's pretty and someone will always pick her up and drive her wherever she needs at whatever speed needed. Second she clearly was analyzing the question and making comparisons and calculations- just couldn't quite make the leap. Third, she's pretty, and fourth she may have thought it was a trick question and couldn't be that simple and fifth, she's pretty and sixth she's probably single now that she found out hubby posted this on YouTube.

-Rutager (Currently driving 80mph to CA to find the pretty girl!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2012, 02:08 AM
Poto's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 8,996
Default Re: Once again, California is to lead the nation.........

You make excellent points, Rutager. She was pretty. So clearly we should give her a bye. That's how I got so far in life.

Actually, her logic is really interesting, and she could have figured out the answer by following her train of thought all the way through. But it would have been difficult. You'd need to know the diameter of the wheels (which, fortunately, is written on the tires). Then pi*diameter will give you the distance the car travels in one revolution. Then divide 80 miles by that number to get the number of revolutions. Then (and here's the tricky part) you have to figure out how many revolutions per minute (or hour) the tires make at 80 mph. Then divide one by the other, and you get your answer: one hour.

I can't imagine how including information about how fast she runs a mile would help, though.

But - as Rutager so sagely pointed out - she's pretty. And probably doesn't have to know these things in her regular life.

By the way, I asked Gillian the same question. She got it instantly.

Whew!
__________________
I don't have as many Festools as Fred. Or Marcou's, or Brese's, or Lie-Nielsen's, or Lee Valley's, or Blue Spruce's, or Harold and Saxon's, or...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2012, 03:04 AM
Corwin's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,116
Default Re: Once again, California is to lead the nation.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
You make excellent points, Rutager. She was pretty. So clearly we should give her a bye. That's how I got so far in life.

Actually, her logic is really interesting, and she could have figured out the answer by following her train of thought all the way through. But it would have been difficult. You'd need to know the diameter of the wheels (which, fortunately, is written on the tires). Then pi*diameter will give you the distance the car travels in one revolution. Then divide 80 miles by that number to get the number of revolutions. Then (and here's the tricky part) you have to figure out how many revolutions per minute (or hour) the tires make at 80 mph. Then divide one by the other, and you get your answer: one hour.

I can't imagine how including information about how fast she runs a mile would help, though.

But - as Rutager so sagely pointed out - she's pretty. And probably doesn't have to know these things in her regular life.

By the way, I asked Gillian the same question. She got it instantly.

Whew!
Peter, Peter, Peter... Riding on your rims, are you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:58 PM.