talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Once again, California is to lead the nation.........

How about circular saws, track saws, mitresaws, bandsaws? They all have a blade spinning fast and have as much potential to take a digit from you.
The tablesaw can't be singled out surely
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-20-2012, 06:38 AM

Then you've got jointers...especially with the poor style "pork chop" guard you guys have out there
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-20-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaRanger View Post
Well, I for one am pretty disappointed in the Sacramento solons for pussyfooting around.

It appears their intent is to diminish injuries caused by motored worktools.

Abolishing motored worktools would solve this problem. Hey! It's back to Neander-tools! Certain related tool forums should rejoice.

Regardless, doing only that would, however, still be a half-baked measure. There is a far, far more injury-prone workplace - and to solve this dangerous situation, the eminent Californians should immediately pass legislation outlawing the use of knives in kitchens. This would very significantly reduce the workload on the state's overtaxed hospital emergency rooms.
The elimination of metal objects from the state would be a step in the right direction. Of course, there will still be pointed sticks and chipped stones that would need to be eliminated, but they are moving in the right direction.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:29 PM

Charles, Remember the most dangerous tool in the US, the blunt instrument.
I carry one in a quick draw holster to protect my Sawstop.
Can you get a concealed carry permit in CA ?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:54 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSwenson View Post
Charles, Remember the most dangerous tool in the US, the blunt instrument.
I carry one in a quick draw holster to protect my Sawstop.
Can you get a concealed carry permit in CA ?
Actually Bob, you can get a carry permit, but it depends on the county you happen to reside in and the mood of that county's sheriff.........
Old 03-21-2012, 07:42 PM

Has there been any polling inside Calif. that states whether this bill has a chance of passing?
I'm happy to see the technology spread to other manufs. besides Sawstop, but not this way. It also doesn't fix, repair, or address all the people I've seen either in person, on TV, or in demos, NOT USING a guard in the first place....
I can't stand the now-common catch phrase, 'Guard removed for photographic purposes'. Baloney... Leave the guards on, film the saw and person using it. NO ONE NEEDS to see the cut any closer than that.
Explain why the guard is left on, along with a riving knife, unless the cutting operation won't allow some or all of the standard equipment like in a Dado cut where the riving knife would get in the way.
Maybe Joraft can lobby someone at the state capital with an amendment that requires power grid providers to help wire up a shop if the shop owner is forced to buy a new saw if this legislation passes
Having had many Laws come out of Calif. that affect my day to day life in the automotive world, I know that either this bill, or something like it will be a game changer on many levels.
Meanwhile I'm still loving my Unisaw and my aftermarket overhead blade guard- Oh look, I still have all my parts intact..
Old 03-21-2012, 09:31 PM

When I bought the Sawstop I didn't realize that it was such a fine machine.

I did however to kick a piece of wood back through a luan door. Forgot to put the riving knife back on.
I keep my concealed blunt instrument in my tool bag, unless I am carrying it in the hammer loop on my tool belt.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I always wondered why "dead-blow" hammers could not be shipped to CA. What's in a name? They don't have any carbon emissions. Could it be the lead shot?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 03-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Perfect Little Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
I am not saying anything.. at least California has schools that rank better than 50/50 for academic education.. On the plus side we are #1... of the worst schools. Go georgia

Sometimes you have to be highly educated to come up with an insanely stupid idea.

Not sure what you are looking at Shawn but CA. is in the lower 1/3 for math and science, but spend in the top 5. The education effectiveness is horrendous in the U.S. Did you know that a K-12 education costs around $170,000 on average per child? Have you had a conversation with one of these folks lately? Try it... We are not getting the bang for the buck we should be. More money is certainly not the answer.

This video has been going around lately and while it seems absurd, we've already tried the same on quite a few people with pretty much the same results (minus the running analogies).

My local assemblywoman Shannon Grove has been spearheading an initiative to help stop some of the craziness in this state. I would urge Californians to help her out.

www.citizenlegislaturenow.com
Old 03-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Oh. My. God.

There's a marriage doomed to failure. I wonder if she'll be able to figure out how many kids she has?

"Just divide it in half!"