talkFestool

talkFestool (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/)
-   Woodworkers Cafe (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/woodworkers-cafe/)
-   -   Chris Burden's new work: art imitating the future (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/woodworkers-cafe/5173-chris-burdens-new-work-art-imitating.html)

RogerSavatteri 01-31-2012 06:51 AM

Chris Burden's new work: art imitating the future

Chris Burden's new work: art imitating the future

Wow!
I just stopped by Lacma Museum on the way home to take a peek at some new exhibits and came upon the Metropolis exhibit by Chris Burden.
One really needs to take a look at the video to take in the breath of the piece.

Metropolis II | LACMA

Metropolis II by Chris Burden (the movie) - YouTube

Wonderwino 01-31-2012 01:47 PM

Re: Chris Burden's new work: art imitating the future

Pretty cool, Roger! The curves might be a little tight for my Riverossi Challenger, but that gives me an idea of what to do with all my old HO & N stuff. It took me a minute to figure out that those were Hot Wheels cars, running on gravity. :scool:

RogerSavatteri 01-31-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderwino (Post 78234)
..... It took me a minute to figure out that those were Hot Wheels cars, running on gravity. :scool:

Alex,
When I saw the exhibit it was in it's static mode. (they only run it at specific times around the weekend) The brushes u see overhead are meant to slow the cars down on their decent. I spoke to a docent and she said when they (the museum) bought the piece they ordered extra cars due to the drop out rate of wear and tear and a certain percentage of tumbles to the depths of the city over the course of ten years. :cool_shades:

MichaelKellough 01-31-2012 04:05 PM

Fun art !?

Thanks Roger :thumbsup2:

joraft 01-31-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerSavatteri (Post 78235)

When I saw the exhibit it was in it's static mode. (they only run it at specific times around the weekend)

Thanks for the heads up, Roger. :thumbsup2:

I notice that they run it from 12:30 to 1:30 on Fridays, which would probably be a lighter crowd (if there is such a thing at LACMA). I may head down there this coming Friday.

Watching that video sure did remind me of life on the L.A. freeways.

RogerSavatteri 01-31-2012 05:00 PM

Actually, I asked the docent about the best times - she said the first ones in the morning and the last one on Sunday.
Bring your camera! You don't even have to be sneaky about taking shots, they allow it.

:D

joraft 01-31-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerSavatteri (Post 78248)

Bring your camera! You don't even have to be sneaky about taking shots, they allow it.

I'll still take my camera, but the sneaking is what makes it fun. :)

Wonderwino 01-31-2012 05:12 PM

I emailed your links to my sister in LA this morning so she can take her twins to see it. I'll have to give her a heads up on the times they run it.

FredWest 01-31-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderwino (Post 78252)
I emailed your links to my sister in LA this morning so she can take her twins to see it. I'll have to give her a heads up on the times they run it.

Roger,

Thank you for the video. What an amazing piece of work. I love the fact that they have actually hand filed parts of the track. I wish that I could see it.

Fred

RogerSavatteri 01-31-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredWest (Post 78254)
Roger,

Thank you for the video. What an amazing piece of work. I love the fact that they have actually hand filed parts of the track. I wish that I could see it.

Fred

You could when u come out to WIA later this year in Pasadena!:D