talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 05:55 AM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.
Default re: Tours of the Gamble House and Sam Maloof Compound

Sorry - I was on my way out the door; I've added the link to my previous post (Photographs of The Gamble House, by Greene & Greene | Pasadena, California). We got some picture of the outside... John was a little late and missed hearing about not taking pictures inside so he got some interior shots...
Old 11-19-2011, 03:01 PM

What a home. Looks like a great time. Excited to see photos from you. The ones on the site look amazing.

neil
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-20-2011, 02:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilc View Post

What a home. Looks like a great time. Excited to see photos from you. The ones on the site look amazing.
Neil, we had great time on both tours, but today's "Joinery Tour" was phenomenal. Our tour guide was Jim Ipekjian. Jim's knowledge of Craftsman style furniture, Greene & Greene design, and joinery in general is unbelieveable. It is said that Jim can duplicate any piece of furniture in the Gamble House. In fact he has been commisioned for restoration work for several houses in the area.

Here is a link to some of his work; Ipekjian.com

He also brought some of his collection of tools originally owned by Charles Sumner Greene, including a very rare Stanley #164. (I think Roger got photos of that)

On top of all that, he's just a helluva nice guy.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Administrator

We're off to Sam Maloof's house and a second trip to the Huntington Library today, so I'll have to post photos tomorrow. So much to see, and so little time.

Here are a couple of quickies though. Jim Ipekjian is explaining the incredible masonry skills involved in building the Clinker Brick wall in the backyard. Clinker Bricks were commonly used in Greene and Greene designs. Putting such irregular bricks together with local stones took a lot of skill. There are many other examples of beautiful masonry around the Gamble House. I tried to get photos of them on the sly, I'll have to see how they came out. They watched us like hawks and it's hard to take good shots while hiding the camera.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Administrator

As was mentioned before, the taking of photographs was strictly forbidden inside the Gamble House, so I was able to take very few of those.

But I did get a few nice shots of the exterior:

The Gamble House was designed in 1908 by architects Greene & Greene. It was commissioned by David and Mary Gamble, of Cincinnati, Ohio, as a retirement residence.

David Berry Gamble, a second generation member of the Procter & Gamble Company in Cincinnati, had retired from active work in 1895, and with his wife, Mary Huggins Gamble, began to spend winters in Pasadena, residing in the area’s resort hotels. By 1907, the couple had decided to build a permanent home in Pasadena. In June of that year, they bought a lot on the short, private street, Westmoreland Place, passing up the more fashionable address, South Orange Grove, known at that time as “Millionaires’ Row.”

At the same time the Gambles were selecting their lot on Westmoreland Place, a house designed by the firm of Greene & Greene was being built for John Cole on the adjacent property. Perhaps meeting the architects at the construction site, and certainly impressed with the other Greene & Greene houses in the neighborhood, the Gambles met with the brothers and agreed on a commission.

The architects worked closely with the Gambles in the design of the house, incorporating specific design elements to complement art pieces belonging to the family. Drawings for the house were completed in February 1908, and ground was broken in March. Ten months later, the house was completed, the first pieces of custom furniture were delivered, and The Gamble House became home to David Gamble, his wife Mary, and two of their three sons: Sidney and Clarence. (Their son Cecil was 24 at the time, and on his own.) In addition, Mary’s sister, Julia Huggins, came from Ohio to live with the family. By the summer of 1910, all the custom-designed furniture was in place.

David and Mary lived in the house until their deaths in 1923 and 1929, respectively. Julia lived in the house until her death in 1943. Cecil Huggins Gamble and his wife Louise Gibbs Gamble lived in the house beginning in 1946 and briefly considered selling it. They soon changed their minds, however, when prospective buyers spoke of painting the interior teak and mahogany woodwork white! The Gambles realized the artistic importance of the house and it remained in the Gamble family until 1966, when it was deeded to the city of Pasadena in a joint agreement with the University of Southern California School of Architecture.

Charles Sumner Greene-----Henry Mather Greene------

Old 11-25-2011, 02:52 AM
Perfect Little Angel

John,

You always take such great photo's of stuff and capture great memories. I know you're pretty good at sneaking snap shots, but man were they keeping an eye on us. It was a fun trip for both of us and it was great to meet some new people too!

Chris...
Old 11-25-2011, 05:08 AM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

Here are some of the pictures I took at the Gamble House.

This picture is of the steps around the side of the house. I thought it was interesting how the corner didn't come to a square corner.

The downspouts are run right through the timbers. Wow.

The horizontal trim above the windows is actually slightly curved. I pointed this out to Jim Ipekjian and he admitted he had not noticed that before. Wahoo! I taught Jim something!

Here is a picture of Roger taking a photo of a sample joint made by Jim. This is one of the only times Roger examined something while standing up.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post

You always take such great photo's of stuff and capture great memories. I know you're pretty good at sneaking snap shots, but man were they keeping an eye on us. It was a fun trip for both of us and it was great to meet some new people too!
Thanks for the compliment, Chris, I'm glad you and Annette were able to make it.

Old 11-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlairWoodworks View Post

Here is a picture of Roger taking a photo of a sample joint made by Jim. This is one of the only times Roger examined something while standing up.

This is the only time we were allowed to get out our cameras inside the house, and that's because all the items on that table were Jim Ipekjian's personal property (he did request that we try to not capture anything in the background ). All the tools in the photo once belonged to Charles Sumner Greene, and now Jim is the proud owner.

Roger is one of the most curious men I know, and he has a reputation for climbing over or under anything he wants to get a better view of (which is just about everything). He asked several times for permission to photograph certain items, and was told no every time. So he would get out his sketch pad and start drawing. At one point Jim told him he would have to draw a lot faster because we had so much more to see.

Roger and his trusty camera.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Some shots of the back of the house:

Adjustable straps that allow for movement, expansion, or contraction of the massive beams.

Part of the 100 year old all copper rain gutter system.

The dining room windows from the backyard.

The same windows from the inside.