talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 08:38 AM

Default I've been through a few!

Bench top planers that is
because lack of space and usually lack of funds, I've endured bench top planers for my thicknessing needs...and if I never see another in my life I'll be happy
I'm a full time woodworker, I have my own small business making custom furniture, I usually go through one bench top planer each year. I know they aren't made for the amount of work I feed through them, I just hope the next one will last a bit longer.
Anyway, my most recent one ( steel city 40200H ) was the worst I've had so far, and gave up on me today. It's had less than a years work. In japan we don't have the luxury of a years warranty ( I think it's something shit like 3 months ).
I won't need to use a planer until next week, so I have the weekend to find another. I swore to myself not to go pick up another shite bench top planer so I'm going to be on the lookout for an old iron beast that's had a make over even if it's in my way in the woodshop, I don't care anymore
I've got a couple of ideas where I might find one...
To be continued rant over
P.S. The best bench top planer I've had is a Delta believe it or not, lasted about three years.. I tried to replace it with another, but they stopped selling it here.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: I've been through a few!

I don't know about Japan, but here in the US Hammer is having some pretty good deals on jointer/planers. Fred seems to love his new one.

Sorry about your planer issues. Sounds very frustrating. Is the 3 month warranty so that the Japanese economy keeps on running?
Old 10-13-2011, 04:21 PM

Agree. I could have written that whole post about a year ago. My Hammer has been a very decent unit. Enough so I just sent them a reserve payment on a bandsaw now. I dont know if they're available in Japan, but worth considering.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-14-2011, 12:47 AM

I'd love a Hammer, but there's a three month wait after ordering.. Plus no such luck on a sale.. You guys don't realise how cheaply you get your tools! I'll pay about four times more than you for a Hammer or Felder (this is not a joke)
So Hammer is out of the question unfortunately. I'm aiming for some old iron..I'm chasing up a local-ish company that sells industrial blades and cutterblocks, sharpening and that kind I stuff. I hear that sometimes they have a few old iron machines for sale, that they have rebuilt. I also hear that they do a good job and are reasonably priced sounds great!
Old 10-14-2011, 03:05 AM

Okami,
I have a 13" Delta machine (stationary, not bench top), about 20 years old now that is rock solid. I use a dial indicator to set the knives, rather than the jig that comes with it, and can take 1/64" passes in hardwood without leaving feeder marks. I can't imagine replacing a planer every year. Are there older Deltas or Powermatics around there used?

When I do replace my jointer and planer, it will be with a Felder, hopefully the AD741, a machine I have used and liked quite a bit. But that's a ways in the future. In the meantime, the Delta keeps going. I did haul it in to the repair place once, to rectify a leaky gear oil sump. Otherwise it just goes.

On the other hand, it might be fun to buy a new machine every year!
Jim
Old 10-14-2011, 03:42 AM

Jim, believe me, I've been through enough now that it's not fun
Sounds like your Delta was made when they were still making them properly, and no doubt made in USA instead of today's Chinese imports.
To be fair to delta, their bench top planer was the best I've had ( made in Taiwan ). The steel city junk I have here now is made in china.
Felder are excellent I have their A741 jointer, and love it! A truely well made machine. As I mentioned before, they aren't cheap here ( I had to get a loan to buy it ).
I've never seen any old delta Rockwell machines here, it's a shame, I know they were made well.
A couple of years ago I had a chance to buy a big old Oliver bandsaw ( in very good condition ) it was a monster! I pondered on it for too long and it was gone... I still regret it...
The old Japanese planers look well made.. I'm hoping I can get one of those, I've got a number to call, just hope they've got something.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:52 PM

There are a couple of Dewalt bench top machines on my floor, which seem fairly well made, though I haven't used one. My close neighbor uses one instead of the planer on his old minimax combo. Seems to like it.

I did use, years ago, a Hitachi or Makita combo planer/jointer, can't remember which but similar vintage as my Delta. I recall it being pretty decent, though very loud. But you don't need a combo if you have the Felder 741. It seems there were some larger Hitachi machines in the 80's that might still be around.

Good luck in your search.
Jim
Old 10-14-2011, 03:42 PM

Did you kill a Makita 2012?

I know I tried real hard to kill mine, and failed.

(It just slows down taking 1/8" off a 12" wide, 10' long beech plank. Didn't even overheat, just hunkered down and got it done. Poor thing...)

If you get stuck, the Makita (made in China, but decent at least) is a pretty reliable option, and at least there's proper back up for it.

I've not stuffed as much through mine as you will through mine, but I can say I've run heaps through it, and it's never missed a beat. Various bits and pieces wood wise, but it earned it's keep with 1.5 m3 of beech, all needed planing, then joined and planed again, so literally kilometres of wood has been through it.

Still has the original blades in it, since I've never had a chance to get the touched up, and never have the chance to touch them up myself. I got the sharpenable blade version, but wonder if the disposable blade one might have been a better option.

Otherwise, an old dinosaur would be excellent. Love my old 10" jointer. Simple, dumb and impossible to kill.

Ryobi, Makita and Hitachi make some larger models that look to be very well made, especially the Ryobi stuff. Expensive as heck, but they shouldn't take long to get either.

Good luck.

Stu.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:02 PM

Hey Stu
yeah if I had to buy another benchtop planer it would be the makita. I almost pulled the trigger on one, but bought that steel city shite heap instead big mistake.. Well, was on the blower this afternoon with the company I mentioned a few posts back..my luck may be in. He says they have a 10" and a 16" planer in, and also a 10" jointer.all old iron beasts I told him I'm interested in the 16" planer. He says they've rebuilt it, all new bearings, changed the cutter block too ( they've put one of those quick change cutter blocks in ) motor refurb, new belts, painted it (green) all set up ready to go. Weight is about 500kg (1100 lbs ). Sounds good! I'm going to have a look at it next week.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Are you sure you should wait that long? Remember the Oliver...