talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: 2011/09/30 - WIA 2011!

And while we're on the subject of wonderful people, I would like to give a particular THANK YOU to John Raftery. It's possible that some of you are not aware of this, but John pretty much owns/runs talkFestool. We owe a great deal to him for maintaining this forum that brings us together, and allows us to have such fruitful and stimulating weekends as this one just past.

This is, without a doubt, the finest collection of people on the internet. I'm extremely fortunate to be a part of it - I've met my best friends here, and I continue to add to my group of stimulating interesting friends and colleagues. Thank you, John, for helping us make talkFestool what it is.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:32 AM

I'll drink to that!
(John's Bourbon, naturally!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-03-2011, 04:47 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

Ha! This forum is crazy... threads keep alive even when everybody is at WIA

I had a blast and finally got to meet everybody in person. So many people to meet and it seemed like no time to do it. While working the BCTW booth was a heck of a lot of fun, I'd like to do WIA with more time to socialize and maybe do the hand-tool olympics. Because it would be funny.

Next year, it would be nice if our tF dinner was somewhere with high-top tables in our own area so we can mill around.

I got to stare at Laurie's eyes for an hour at the airport. Y'all can be jealous now.

Of the things I learned at WIA:

#1 those Bourbon's rocked; so smooth and no headache the next day! (I sipped)

#2 Laurie's cookies are so pretty. Maybe she can post pictures of the famous designs Rick accurately assessed. Those were funny

#3 I'm certain most "distracted collisions" happened by the Vesper table. And the marking tools were nice, too.

#4 When John E's lasagna order was forgotten, he should have taken that as a sign.

#5 All the people from tF came by and made my day.

#6 Chris has a lot of hair.

#7 BowClamp Craig had a great show; and he's an undying fan of the local chili

#8 St Roy is stronger than you think... he can break off a corner of a solid-top Cherry Roubo that the Schwarz likely wanted to keep intact.

#9 Stepping on tiny JMP offcuts hurts like hell

I'd list that John E is a huge inspiration, but I knew that before WIA.

#10 Pigs fear Rutager (I nearly wrote 'Rutager makes pigs nervous', but, well, nevermind...)
Old 10-03-2011, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMarcel View Post
and he's an undying fan of the local chili

I look like I'm vomiting in this picture.

And I did have a great show thanks in large part to you guys.

Things I learned...

1) Fred West... is in a league by himself. "A giant among men" doesn't even begin to do it justice. Thank you Fred. From the bottom of my heart.

2) Joraft has the perfect life. And a brilliant analytical mind.... that lost me after my (cough) bourbon. But winnie needs you, so we have to talk.

3) Michael Kellough can be my wing-man any day.

4) Chris has a lot of hair.

5) Laurie owes me candy.

6) I want to be John Economaki when I grow up.

7) Paul-Marcel will likely beat me to it.

8) Poto is the same size as me. But much smarter.

9) Laurie owes me candy.

10) I'm lucky to have been adopted into such a wonderful family.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:56 AM

I forgot to add that I learned that John E has true hockey humor. We're walking and he's telling a story about public skating with his wife. He makes the comment about how hockey is so much better cuz you check and checked me into the lawn. "Ha! well your head was down!"

Sure glad he got that out of his system before we were on the bridge!
Old 10-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Paul-Marcel, I agree with you about the restaurants. Here's the problem: lots of them had private rooms, but they all required significant deposits, and a minimum food charge (usually between $800-$1500). Given how hard it was to ensure that people would show up to the dinners with no deposit, I wasn't willing to put up my $$ to get a private room. It would have been nice to have some place quieter, but we'd need a system for each person to pay in advance or something.

Plus, most of the private rooms were for weddings and such - they have special menus, etc. I wasn't willing to spend the time choosing the menu. Too much scope for annoying people.

I'd be happy to field suggestions for doing it differently next year. I thought the dinners were fun, though a bit restrictive given the space constraints at the tables. And too noisy. And the food was crappy at the Walnut St. Grill. Normally I'd go for pretty high-end places, but I was reminded that not everyone is comfortable affording expensive food. For me it's a priority...
Old 10-03-2011, 05:00 PM

No complaints about the scheduling work you did, Peter. I was just thinking aloud about how nice it would have been in such an atmosphere.

As for Walnut Street Grill, I've hardly eaten since that dinner. I suspect the lasagna was laced with quick-set concrete!
Old 10-03-2011, 05:21 PM

Man, you guys really know how to stretch a thread around this place.

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to all of you guys who stopped by to introduce yourselves this weekend. Randy, Laurie, Michael, Paul-Marcel, and others whose names my addled brain forgetting - it was really good to meet you all. Sorry I wasn't able to make dinner either night, but thanks for the invitations.

And of course those of you I've met before (esp. Peter and that odd West fellow) -- great to see you again as always.

No WAY I'm ever doing this show again....

Best,
Raney
Old 10-03-2011, 06:46 PM

Hi every one at talkfestool.
I am the new guy you all adopted for last weekend. First of all tanks for being kind and welcoming. I have so many people to thank I don't know where to start. John and Fred, the god fathers. Laurie, Rutager, Paul-Marcel, Michael and John E. my teammates for the show. Peter, Chris, Neil and the whole talk Festool gang. John R and Jess it was nice to visit the sharks with you. Oh John thanks for the dinner and bourbon Jess thanks for the shark visit. You know how to make a stranger feel welcome to your family. I will be in touch....
Ps: Chris has even more heart than hair. Hi Chris
Peter is cool, Laurie is too smart to be a woodworker but she is. I agree that Rutager is the reason BCTW is out of stock all the time and Fred is the reason all the other tool makers are out of sock.
PPs:better get used to bad spelling and grammar .....

-Masood
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Masood! WELCOME!!! It was so wonderful to meet you this weekend. I'm really looking forward to seeing some of your work. Please jump right into the discussions - you're one of us now!