talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 05:42 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Default Re: 2011/09/30 - WIA 2011!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
She told us that she drinks very little. I just assumed she was being polite and holding that glass for someone else all night.

So Peter was being his usual gentleman & holding her up so she didn't end face down on the floor?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post

Whoa there little buckaroo....back the phytoplankton bus up!

For someone that was the most openly vocal about my Casio Data Bank 150 watch, that one sure strikes me as being the classic blue over black Casio from around the same era of watch antiquity.

Attached Thumbnails
wia-2011-peterswatch.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Hah! Too funny, Rick. Here's the story: my nice gold watch needs a new battery and cleaning, so I haven't worn it in a few years. My Rotex watch needs a new battery. I'm too lazy to take them to the watch place. So I wear my Casio, which is my sea-going watch. Indestructible, waterproofish, easy to read, digital, and cheap.

In other news: my comment about Laurie and glasses of liquid had less to do with her drinking them, and more to do with her knocking them over with her ... let's call them ... emotive gestures. That nice glass of bourbon she's holding ended up spilled under John's bed (we're in his room, in case that didn't make any sense), and I'm guessing it was only partly sipped. John must have slept, bathed in Bourbon fumes all night.

P.S. It was only two very small glasses of Bourbon.

P.P.S. Okay - that was after a beer and a couple of glasses of wine at the restaurant.

P.P.P.S. Ron, in case I didn't mention it, it was SO wonderful to meet you!!! Thank you for taking the time and energy to come down to see us. I know it was a big sacrifice on your part, and we really appreciate it. I especially liked how you tortured Laurie!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:08 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Hah! Too funny, Rick. Here's the story: my nice gold watch needs a new battery and cleaning, so I haven't worn it in a few years. My Rotex watch needs a new battery. I'm too lazy to take them to the watch place. So I wear my Casio, which is my sea-going watch. Indestructible, waterproofish, easy to read, digital, and cheap.

In other news: my comment about Laurie and glasses of liquid had less to do with her drinking them, and more to do with her knocking them over with her ... let's call them ... emotive gestures. That nice glass of bourbon she's holding ended up spilled under John's bed (we're in his room, in case that didn't make any sense), and I'm guessing it was only partly sipped. John must have slept, bathed in Bourbon fumes all night.

P.S. It was only two very small glasses of Bourbon.

P.P.S. Okay - that was after a beer and a couple of glasses of wine at the restaurant.

P.P.P.S. Ron, in case I didn't mention it, it was SO wonderful to meet you!!! Thank you for taking the time and energy to come down to see us. I know it was a big sacrifice on your part, and we really appreciate it. I especially liked how you tortured Laurie!
I picked up on that right away but much more fun to assume she finishes everyone's drinks (even people unknown to her). HEY, Christmas candy is blown so why not lean into it???
Old 10-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Inactive Member

Quote:
my nice gold watch needs a new battery and cleaning, so I haven't worn it in a few years. My Rotex watch needs a new battery. I'm too lazy to take them to the watch place. So I wear my Casio, which is my sea-going watch. Indestructible, waterproofish, easy to read, digital, and cheap.
So let's get this straight. If it has fins and a tail, you can dissect it in minutes. But if it has wires and screws, then it takes years. And somehow woodworking falls in somewhere in between?
Old 10-02-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Thank you, everyone, for a delightful show. I really only attend to see the people; the tools are a secondary distraction, and I don't even bother with the classes (I'm sure they're wonderful - did anyone attend any?).

So let's see ... how about 10 more things that I learned at the WIA:

1) John Raftery makes it a habit of finding the best in something, and then figuring out what his favorite is. Thank you, John, for being so generous in sharing your amazing Bourbon (and newly acquired Bourbon knowledge) with us. The sipping session in your room last night was really fun, though I have a serious hangover this morning. Maybe it wasn't just sipping...

2) John and I should probably avoid talking politics. He knows a lot, I know nothing, but I like egging him on. Probably not a good combination. (You're a great sport, John, and I always learn something!)

3) It's really difficult to get more than about 5 woodworkers to follow any sort of schedule or rules. On the other hand, just about everybody eventually showed up to all the dinners, and the company - as Randy pointed out earlier - was wonderful. Such an amazing suite of discussions.

4) Rutager gets the "Man-Up" of the year award for trying sushi for the first time. He didn't actually throw up, but I gather there was some concern from the people across from him.

5) Don't put glasses full of liquid near Laurie.

6) Richard Hummel (Woodpecker) is one heck of a nice guy, and we're lucky to have him frequent our forum.

7) Randy needs more intellectual stimulation. Can we start a collection to help him to move to a state with a higher level of intellectual discourse?

8) Nada was great, but loud. Walnut Street Grill was a disappointment, but loud. Certain members of the talkFestool crowd need to get out more so that they don't drool so much when a reasonably attractive waitress walks by.

9) Paul-Marcel is a woodworking rock star. How many people's foreheads did you sign, Paul-Marcel? And talk about wide shoulders. How do you buy shirts?

10) Masood and Doug are seriously nice guys. I hope they'll join in the discussion more.

Let's do this again next year!

Now I have to go nurse my "headache"...
1: Agree. Quite a guy.
2: Just smile knowingly and nod.
3: I'm smiling and nodding
4: A missed Kodak moment, I am sure
5: lol. But she didn't actually spill it. Good save.
6: agree
7: Yeah no kidding. I'm going to have to schedule a weekly skype with you just so I can get used to those big words again.
8: I resemble that remark!! <inserted for the benefit of Fred
9: You did notice they're all hockey jerseys, right?
10: Agree

And add - I am pretty sure that when I get rich and famous, and learn how to do some woodworking, the first really nice plane I buy is going to have Konrad's name on it. Just probably not this week.
If anyone else around here has ever been a little on the fence, perhaps like I was, about going, bite the bullet. It is worth it. End of story.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:19 AM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

WIA was a blast. I could have used another three days- as an exhibitor, I hardly got any time to wander around and chat. I think that we should schedule something on our own so that those tool thingies don't interfere with socializing.

Still, lots of great memories and stories... like how Michael Kellough and I had to run for our lives to escape horses...

Great to meet you all. Masood!
Old 10-03-2011, 02:54 AM

Hi Everyone,

It was great seeing old friends and making new ones.

I assumed that I wouldn't like sushi; and I was right. For the record there was no way that it was coming back up, but I don't think I've ever fought harder to keep something down. John Economaki ever the gracious host immediately had them bring me steak!

Now for the moment you've been waiting for; the story of Fred and his new plane: Sunday was winding down and I was chatting with Konrad about selling the planes he brought along, and he told me they were his personal tools and weren't for sale, but he backtracked and showed me a panel plane that was for sale. Next to the plane was a scrap of paper- I had an idea. So I wrote "SOLD" and then "Fred West" under that. I then got Fred and told him that Konrad was too busy to explain the differences between the different planes to me and could he do it. Of course he could. As we worked down the line Fred got to the plane with the sold tag and just stared at it for what seemed forever, then he turned around to Konrad and myself laughing our butts off. Fred started asking Konrad about the plane and the rest, as they say is history. So Fred either I'm sorry, or you're welcome!

-Rutager
Old 10-03-2011, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickChristopherson View Post
So let's get this straight. If it has fins and a tail, you can dissect it in minutes. But if it has wires and screws, then it takes years. And somehow woodworking falls in somewhere in between?
Rick, Rick, Rick. I don't deal with fins and tails. Those things are much too big. I deal with things that you can only see under a microscope.

I don't suppose that helps my side of the argument at all, though, does it?

In case you didn't already know this, I'm a serious procrastinator. Not, perhaps, in the big leagues like John, but I do pretty well for a little guy with a Type A wife.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
Hi Everyone,

It was great seeing old friends and making new ones.

I assumed that I wouldn't like sushi; and I was right. For the record there was no way that it was coming back up, but I don't think I've ever fought harder to keep something down. John Economaki ever the gracious host immediately had them bring me steak!

Now for the moment you've been waiting for; the story of Fred and his new plane: Sunday was winding down and I was chatting with Konrad about selling the planes he brought along, and he told me they were his personal tools and weren't for sale, but he backtracked and showed me a panel plane that was for sale. Next to the plane was a scrap of paper- I had an idea. So I wrote "SOLD" and then "Fred West" under that. I then got Fred and told him that Konrad was too busy to explain the differences between the different planes to me and could he do it. Of course he could. As we worked down the line Fred got to the plane with the sold tag and just stared at it for what seemed forever, then he turned around to Konrad and myself laughing our butts off. Fred started asking Konrad about the plane and the rest, as they say is history. So Fred either I'm sorry, or you're welcome!

-Rutager
And just in case this was too obscure: Fred bought the plane!!!

I'm thinking I need to get into hand-tool making. And have Fred adopt me. It looks like it would pay better than oceanography...

Fred is THE MAN!

I hope his leg is okay.