talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 03:08 AM

Default Re: 2011/09/30 - WIA 2011!

Just got back from another great dinner. I am struck by how this little forum of people, as different as we are in experience, geography, all that, we get into a room and it's like you just reacquainted with a bunch of long lost friends.
We really have a pretty decent crowd here. While I would have said that before, being at WIA solidified that into a defensible belief for me. This has been an outstanding two days in my world.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Dude!
Old 10-02-2011, 09:16 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I am still in awe of those incredibly beautiful planes that Fred is taking home with him! Those guys are amazing craftsmen.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
I am still in awe of those incredibly beautiful planes that Fred is taking home with him! Those guys are amazing craftsmen.
Boy, you've got that right, Ron! The workmanship on those planes from Konrad, Raney, Ron Brese is just astounding. I spent quite a bit of the show just fondling the planes, and pushing them through some seriously gnarly wood, making perfect board-length shavings. Just holding these things takes your work to a higher level. And Fred has the best of the best.

I won't spoil it, but we have to get Rutager to tell the story of the trick that he and Konrad pulled on Fred.

It totally backfired.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:51 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Boy, you've got that right, Ron! The workmanship on those planes from Konrad, Raney, Ron Brese is just astounding. I spent quite a bit of the show just fondling the planes, and pushing them through some seriously gnarly wood, making perfect board-length shavings. Just holding these things takes your work to a higher level. And Fred has the best of the best.

I won't spoil it, but we have to get Rutager to tell the story of the trick that he and Konrad pulled on Fred.

It totally backfired.
I didn't hear that story yet but I can almost guess... being nearby the Woodcraft booth. I'm also quite sure that you need to get up pretty early to catch Fred off guard.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you, everyone, for a delightful show. I really only attend to see the people; the tools are a secondary distraction, and I don't even bother with the classes (I'm sure they're wonderful - did anyone attend any?).

So let's see ... how about 10 more things that I learned at the WIA:

1) John Raftery makes it a habit of finding the best in something, and then figuring out what his favorite is. Thank you, John, for being so generous in sharing your amazing Bourbon (and newly acquired Bourbon knowledge) with us. The sipping session in your room last night was really fun, though I have a serious hangover this morning. Maybe it wasn't just sipping...

2) John and I should probably avoid talking politics. He knows a lot, I know nothing, but I like egging him on. Probably not a good combination. (You're a great sport, John, and I always learn something!)

3) It's really difficult to get more than about 5 woodworkers to follow any sort of schedule or rules. On the other hand, just about everybody eventually showed up to all the dinners, and the company - as Randy pointed out earlier - was wonderful. Such an amazing suite of discussions.

4) Rutager gets the "Man-Up" of the year award for trying sushi for the first time. He didn't actually throw up, but I gather there was some concern from the people across from him.

5) Don't put glasses full of liquid near Laurie.

6) Richard Hummel (Woodpecker) is one heck of a nice guy, and we're lucky to have him frequent our forum.

7) Randy needs more intellectual stimulation. Can we start a collection to help him to move to a state with a higher level of intellectual discourse?

8) Nada was great, but loud. Walnut Street Grill was a disappointment, but loud. Certain members of the talkFestool crowd need to get out more so that they don't drool so much when a reasonably attractive waitress walks by.

9) Paul-Marcel is a woodworking rock star. How many people's foreheads did you sign, Paul-Marcel? And talk about wide shoulders. How do you buy shirts?

10) Masood and Doug are seriously nice guys. I hope they'll join in the discussion more.

Let's do this again next year!

Now I have to go nurse my "headache"...
Old 10-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:

You've got that right, Ron.

A couple of shots of Fred checking out his new Sauer & Steiner:

Old 10-02-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:

2) John and I should probably avoid talking politics. He knows a lot, I know nothing, but I like egging him on. Probably not a good combination. (You're a great sport, John, and I always learn something!)
John and I have about the same political alignment however that's for some other forum.

5) Don't put glasses full of liquid near Laurie.
I wasn't aware she even drinks...

6) Richard Hummel (Woodpecker) is one heck of a nice guy, and we're lucky to have him frequent our forum.
Very much so and he's got some great one-of's coming.

9) Paul-Marcel is a woodworking rock star. How many people's foreheads did you sign, Paul-Marcel? And talk about wide shoulders. How do you buy shirts?
He needs to give up his day job!

Let's do this again next year!
+++++
Such an absolutely WONDERFUL group of people that are even nicer in person!
Old 10-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:

1) John Raftery makes it a habit of finding the best in something, and then figuring out what his favorite is. Thank you, John, for being so generous in sharing your amazing Bourbon (and newly acquired Bourbon knowledge) with us. The sipping session in your room last night was really fun, though I have a serious hangover this morning. Maybe it wasn't just sipping...
That includes picking my friends.

It was my pleasure to share with such a great group.

Quote:

Especially after you've just slammed six glasses of Bourbon. It's called SIPPING, Peter, SIPPING!

Quote:

8) ... Certain members of the talkFestool crowd need to get out more so that they don't drool so much when a reasonably attractive waitress walks by.
Reasonably attractive? She was absolutely gorgeous!

I'm not sure, but it must have been Randy doing all the drooling. I never look at hot women who are possibly younger than my grandaughter. (Alright, maybe I took a quick peek )

Old 10-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:

"5) Don't put glasses full of liquid near Laurie."

I wasn't aware she even drinks...
She told us that she drinks very little. I just assumed she was being polite and holding that glass for someone else all night.