talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 11:04 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: WIA 2011

Made Dallas, waiting for the next hop. See you soon.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-30-2011, 12:28 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: WIA 2011

Whoops. Broken plane. They're trying to find another one. Hopefully they won't have to bus us.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: 2011/09/30 - WIA 2011!

What I've learned at the WIA so far:

1) Fred knows everybody. And anyone he doesn't know, he will soon.

2) Skyline chili is neither skyline nor chili. It's nicely spiced gravy on spaghetti, with mounds of fluorescent orange cheese on top. Why?

3) Children in Iowa seem to have an inordinate problem with their beds catching fire.

4) Parents in Iowa should probably all be turned over to Child Protective Services.

5) They don't seem to have Child Protective Services in Iowa.

6) Cooter Ditchman is a really nice guy. (I had to say that or I think he'd do bad things to my family.)

7) Laurie looks even younger in real life. Apparently they don't have sun in Iowa or something. No wrinkles. I'm jealous.

8) Ron Wenner looks much younger in real life. (Yes, Ron was there!!!)

9) Randy is just about as tall as you'd hope (I don't even reach his chin), and much too nice to have killed all those people really nice.

10) Here's what I want to buy:
Moxon vise hardware
LN 62 (bevel-up jack with extra blades)
Knew Concepts fret saw
Elkhead Studios handle for Knew Concepts fret saw
Vesper small infilled bevel
JMP (but don't tell anyone)
Tiny router plane from LV (shhhh - it's secret)
Old 10-01-2011, 03:54 AM

What I've learned at WIA so far:

1: Poto is just as short as you might have imagined. Possibly a little shorter. But he does get to play on the gym thing at Burger King. Added bonus.

2: Fred's charisma, much like the guy in the Dos Equis commercials, is viewable from space.

3: John is actually a nice guy. (who knew?)

4: Konrad Sauer is pretty stinkin cool. And talented.

5: Nada is going down in history in the top 5 places I've ever eaten.

6: If I bought everything I wanted here, it could rival the national debt.

7: "Crabbing" a landing sounds really neat when two guys are having a technical talk about how a plane lands in a strong cross wind. Doing it in a plane loaded with 30 people and powered by 2 strong rubber bands is less thrilling.

8: I think WKRP must have been fictional. I don't even see a Loni Anderson or Johnny Fever billboard anywhere. Cinci is actually a very nice looking place.

9: Woodcraft still thinks we're all a bunch of idiots. And now they've paid Rob Cosman to think so too.

10: Kentucky bourbon ain't half bad (thanks John!)
Old 10-01-2011, 05:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeber View Post
What I've learned at WIA so far:

3: John is actually a nice guy. (who knew?)

10: Kentucky bourbon ain't half bad (thanks John!)
Thanks, Randy (I think ), it was nice meeting you.

I agree that this Kentucky swill ain't all that bad. But which one gets the top spot? Guys?:

Bourbon is a type of American whiskey a barrel-aged distilled spirit made primarily from corn. The name of the spirit derives from its historical association with an area known as Old Bourbon, around what is now Bourbon County, Kentucky (which, in turn, was named after the French House of Bourbon royal family). It has been produced since the 18th century.

While it may be made anywhere in the United States, it is strongly associated with Kentucky specifically, and the American South in general.

Whiskey sold as Tennessee whiskey is also defined as Bourbon under NAFTA and is required to meet the legal definition of Bourbon under Canadian law, but some makers of Tennessee whiskey (e.g. Jack Daniels) do not label their product as Bourbon and insist that it is a different type of whiskey when marketing their product.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:37 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Thanks, Randy (I think ), it was nice meeting you.

I agree that this Kentucky swill ain't all that bad. But which one gets the top spot? Guys?:

Those good ole boys make fine stuff that never gets labeled or sold...
Old 10-01-2011, 05:54 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Well, 686 miles and 21-1/2 hours later I'm right back where I started my day (at home). Professional truckers don't drive that many mile in one day (legally ) I should do a commercial for Provigil & black coffee. I thought about staying over but I'm pretty sure I would have then made the trip home in a gurney.

What I've learned at WIA today:

1: Poto is one hell of a nice guy.

2: Fred's knows everybody and everybody knows (and likes) Fred.

3: Ditto what Randy said, John is actually a very nice guy. (who knew?)

4: Konrad Sauer is pretty stinkin talented (and cool).

5: I am more widely known (on the net) than I would have guessed (or wanted )

6: Kentucky bourbon is FINE -- I'll thank John sometime in the future.

7: I spent bunch of time with Rob Cosman -- during demos and talking to him in between. He left no doubt in my mind that he (barely?) tolerates Woodcraft -- he was curt with a few of them about various things they hadn't done.

8: WKRP was real -- in our fantasies.

9: You have to see Laurie's incredible eyes in person just once in your life.

10. Richard Hummel shared his next 2-3 "one-of's" with me -- stop over Saturday & have him show you.

11. I learned that Randy walks around with his head in the clouds and Peter doesn't get rained on as soon as the rest of us although Randy could probably give us all advance warning.

12. Fred really does have at least one of everything.

Last edited by RONWEN; 10-01-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:53 AM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

What I learned at WIA today:
  1. It's cool to be working in a booth and having people come to see you.
  2. It's also cool to have people recognize you.
  3. It's nice to have a busy booth.
  4. But it sucks that there really isn't any time to look around.
  5. John (Joraft) doesn't have white hair.
  6. You can get a free beer if it's less than $10 and all you have to pay with is a credit card and Canadian money.
  7. Rutager likes bacon. And beef and potatoes.
  8. You can't feel a thing when cutting a 1/4" dowel with the JMP v2.
  9. Paul-Marcel might be the only other one crazy enough to walk 3 miles to the bar in the hotel from the hotel.
  10. Bellhop carts are not always well maintained (e.g. wheels are not always propperly inflated)
Old 10-01-2011, 02:05 PM

Oh, yeah -- I also now KNOW I won't be getting any Christmas candy (again) this year.
When I arrived at the show I took a quick walk around and the first tF'er that I saw was sweet Laurie. I decided to be "me" & walked up to a JMP she was standing near and asked her where the motor is on them? It was early in the day and I may have been her very first live rube so her eyes light up and she immediately went into well oiled, extremely rehearsed canned presentation mode. "Well, you are the motor" and then starts into 10 minutes of a nice demonstration. I asked her something like "what is your regular job at BCT?" She stopped & said "Oh, I didn't introduce myself" blah blah, blah blah -- she asked what is your name? I wasn't going to lie to her & when I said my name her voice went to a volume level I've never heard from any other human -- it actually drowned out the facilities PA system! I landed about two (2) booths down on the other side of the aisle. She then picked me up & gave me a big hug. At any rate I finally met her and learned lots about the JMP.
I also thought the entire drive home I just blew any chance for Christmas candy (again) this year...
Old 10-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post

What I've learned at WIA today:

1: Poto is one hell of a nice guy.

2: Fred's knows everybody and everybody knows (and likes) Fred.

3: Ditto what Randy said, John is actually a very nice guy. (who knew?)

4: Konrad Sauer is pretty stinkin talented (and cool).

5: I am more widely known (on the net) than I would have guessed (or wanted )

6: Kentucky bourbon is FINE -- I'll thank John sometime in the future.

7: I spent bunch of time with Rob Cosman -- during demos and talking to him in between. He left no doubt in my mind that he (barely?) tolerates Woodcraft -- he was curt with a few of them about various things they hadn't done.

8: WKRP was real -- in our fantasies.

9: You have to see Laurie's incredible eyes in person just once in your life.

10. Richard Hummel shared his next 2-3 "one-of's" with me -- stop over Saturday & have him show you.

11. I learned that Randy walks around with his head in the clouds and Peter doesn't get rained on as soon as the rest of us although Randy could probably give us all advance warning.

12. Fred really does have at least one of everything.
Ron, everyone I've ever met from talkFestool has been very nice, so I was not surprised when I met you, Laurie, Randy, Jesse and Chris for the first time.

And I agree about Laurie's eyes, and then there's that amazing energy!