talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 09:53 PM

Default Re: A view from the Alps, French side of them

I'm still there, but there is a WiFi Internet access where I' m staying
Browsing not my main activity though ...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:13 PM

And I thought you were hiking, sleeping in a tent, killing varmints to eat.

Sounds like you're staying in a hotel, eating steaks and wine. Next it will be a picture of a four wheeler getting you up the mountains.

Enjoy your trip and send more pictures when you get a chance.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-14-2008, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks so much for sharing, Michel. You have some seriously soul-enriching scenery there. With Festools, no less!

Yes, please consider coming to SD again. That's a pretty funny story about the French Navy vessel in port. I guess it's all red, white and blue, too.

I bet they have better food than the US navy, though.

Our research ships have quite spotty cooking. It's all pretty stick-to-your-ribs stuff, but some is well executed, and some is, well, executed. I remember the terror in my gut on one cruise when I saw the cook trying to decide what to make for lunch from his Betty Crocker cook book! I think it was his first time cooking on a ship (or perhaps anywhere)! He's improved since, but not that much...

On the other hand, I usually just throw it up anyway. (this is me in front of the toilet - same color)
Old 08-14-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwas View Post
And I thought you were hiking, sleeping in a tent, killing varmints to eat.

Sounds like you're staying in a hotel, eating steaks and wine. Next it will be a picture of a four wheeler getting you up the mountains.

Enjoy your trip and send more pictures when you get a chance.

Well, not an hotel, but what we call a "holiday village", not too different from an hotel from the accomodation & food point of view, although accomodation is excellent but simple. The real nice thing is that up to three or four hiking trips are organized everyday, half or full day, at 6 different levels of difficulty. No wheeler, all on foot.

I'm staying staying at level 3 because of the heart surgery 2 years ago, this week half day trips, next week hopefully one or two full day ones.
Next year I' ll go for level 4 may be 5. 6 is really for well experimented folks (hands needed) and I'm not.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I guess it's all red, white and blue, too.

I bet they have better food than the US navy, though.

On the other hand, I usually just throw it up anyway. (this is me in front of the toilet - same color)
What confused me was the US flag on the boat and I did not see a French one (you probably know that according to courtesy rules, a boat in a foreign harbour carries flags of its country as well as of the harbor country).

Based on my own army experience, food might not be what you think, but I really don' t know how it is these days

What you say about boat food and how it is often handled brings old memories back from when I used to sail with friends in the British
Channel. I was the cook! That is quite a challenge sometimes when weather is a bit harsh .... specially on small boats.