talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Coffee anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Hmmm. Might be a missed opportunity there. Coffee-infused duck or goat? Yum!
That is exactly I was thinking.. the Jamaican in me only sees coffee infused curry goat with some boiled green bananas.

The operation looks very clean and organized.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
That is exactly I was thinking.. the Jamaican in me only sees coffee infused curry goat with some boiled green bananas.

The operation looks very clean and organized.
I'm with you there, Shawn. Though there's no Jamaican in me.

But I do have a little bit of Indian (from India). Will that work?
Old 09-02-2011, 10:18 PM

Hey, I have a little bit of East Indian in me as well.

However it wil be a totally different curry.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

I'd still eat it. Wanna cook for us at the WIA?
Old 09-03-2011, 02:08 AM

Default Re: On Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
I recently returned from a ten day trip to Hawaii (my first) with most of our time being spent on the "Big Island", Hawaiʻi.

Being a big coffee lover, I could not be so close to the district of Kona without visiting a plantation.

John,

Thanks for this info! I'm going to give them a try. It's kind of hard to resist that coffee.

I'm somewhat convinced that I suffer through the Ironman there just so I can stock up on coffee and the good eats from that part of the world. Did you go to Merrimans? Bit of a long, dark drive, but certainly worth it.

First time out there we stayed up under the clouds and stumbled upon this coffee plantation. Small, organic and really great coffee. Been back each time and really like their peaberry. That seems to make a tasty espresso. Kona Coffee Company at Kona Lea Plantation

Best,
Steve
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

You've got me beat, Laurie. I put about 6 miles on a bike the other day - the first time in about 30 years. Sad.

But on the upside, I didn't hurt afterward.

Though it was very flat, or slightly downhill the whole way...

It was more like PlayDohMan
Old 09-03-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post
Yummmmmm.

Whoa. Dude. You do the Ironman?!?
That's awesome.

I, by contrast, am a complete slug...
... who can't even swim.
Although I did put 20 miles on my bike the other day.
For the first time in five years. Or so.
Yes, though since I now pull/push a 2 year old for most of my workouts I haven't done Ironman in a bit. Hoping to get back there next Oct. It is kind of a magical place, and then there is the coffee

20 miles is a great ride. I love just getting out for an hour or two with the wind and sun, and the wildlife you get to see. Those 100 mile rides in the rain? Not so much.

No swimming? What happens if you fall overboard amongst the shrieking eels?

Now, back to the coffee. I usually alternate between Illy and some local roasters (and a roastery in Napa county), but I'm always looking for something new to try. Any fun recommendations?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTappan View Post

... Any fun recommendations?
Steve, Trent at Mountain Thunder sold me one of these devices (they're also available at Amazon).

The coffee it makes is so good. At first I thought it was just the high quality of the Mountain Thunder Kona, but since I've been home I've tried many different brands, and they all come out better.

I think it's because of the lower brewing temperature and the very fine grind allowed by the micro filter. In any case, I can highly recommend this device.

Of course I also had to go out and get a good quality burr grinder, which allows a fine and very even grind. Geez, this is just another slippery slope like woodworking and photography.

And maybe next week I'll go down and look at one of these, the factory is not too far from me. They're 220v SINGLE phase! :

Old 09-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

So John, are going to get one for the house and one for the shop?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 09-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post

So John, are going to get one for the house and one for the shop?
Maybe later, right now I'm busy planting the coffee trees.