talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 06:54 AM

Default Microcell - for better cell phone reception

We live in the mountains and up to a few days ago have had a very poor reception at home with our cell phones (i-phones) Usually one bar at best - Our usual line when receiving calls on the cell has been "hold that thought I need to call you back on a hard line". When I did have a conversation on the cell I'd have to go outside almost to the middle of the street and hold my conversation there.

No more!

Ever since we installed the micro cell we went from 1 bar-maybe to 5 bars.

AT&T 3G MicroCell - Wireless Signal Booster - Wireless from AT&T

You do need a wireless internet connection though, it piggybacks onto your main router. If you have guests over one could go online and input their number.
(if they are on the At&t network that is)

Just thought I'd mention it for those who need to go through the cell phone dance each time you need to use your cell.

cheers.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-05-2011, 04:23 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Microcell - for better cell phone reception

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSavatteri View Post
We live in the mountains and up to a few days ago have had a very poor reception at home with our cell phones (i-phones) Usually one bar at best - Our usual line when receiving calls on the cell has been "hold that thought I need to call you back on a hard line". When I did have a conversation on the cell I'd have to go outside almost to the middle of the street and hold my conversation there.

No more!

Ever since we installed the micro cell we went from 1 bar-maybe to 5 bars.

AT&T 3G MicroCell - Wireless Signal Booster - Wireless from AT&T

You do need a wireless internet connection though, it piggybacks onto your main router. If you have guests over one could go online and input their number.
(if they are on the At&t network that is)

Just thought I'd mention it for those who need to go through the cell phone dance each time you need to use your cell.

cheers.
It works with a regular router too doesn't it?

Sounds like it's converting a Skype-like service into a tiny cell tower.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-05-2011, 04:32 PM

Michael,

Your probably right about the router,
and yes it is like a mini cell tower.

All I know is I wish I knew about it earlier.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:

... All I know is I wish I knew about it earlier.
Me too! Maybe now we won't be saying "Can you hear me now?" every other sentence.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:28 PM

Sorry guys. I thought that I had mentioned here before. I have had one for about a year and it works great. There are two different plans for it. The first one is that you buy the microcell and install it. If you want to use your cell phone minutes while using it, there isn't an additional charge. If you want your usage to not count towards your cell phone minutes then there Is a charge of about twenty dollars per month.

You can also have up to 5 people using it at the same time.

Peter
Old 07-05-2011, 05:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

We've had one for several months now. It works well, but one rep told me that it only enhances the outgoing calls. Incoming calls still bounce off the nearest tower. One huge advantage is that it reports your proper address to enhanced 911 systems. That saves several minutes and a lot of confusion here.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plhalle View Post
................. There are two different plans for it. The first one is that you buy the microcell and install it. If you want to use your cell phone minutes while using it, there isn't an additional charge. If you want your usage to not count towards your cell phone minutes then there Is a charge of about twenty dollars per month.
You can also have up to 5 people using it at the same time.
Peter
Peter,

Actually, we opted for the third option, where they supply it and we're not charged the twenty bucks a month. In order to go that route though you need to go through a manager where they check to see if you really have zero reception at your residence. Also, somewhere along that conversation it was mentioned that we have been long time customers with two accounts that would consider bailing ship if we didn't like the direction this little chat was going in.

roger

btw, Michael, I haven't had any issues with the incoming calls since using it - where I have had prior to the micro cell.
That being said I will be checking my bars on future incomings and outgoings from the same location in the house and report back.
That's nice to hear about the 911 location thing. I didn't know that.

Last edited by RogerSavatteri; 07-05-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:42 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

I have T-Mobile for my Blackberry. It comes with 'UMA' meaning it places your calls (both ways) through wireless if you have that part turned on in the phone. I used to get bad reception in 2 places on my property but now when I'm home, calls go through my router.

No equipment to buy, no charge to your plan, does calls both ways. It also gives a nice indicator on the phone when it's bound to the wifi.

Other cool thing is that it will use any wifi router I'm bound do; my aunt's house in California has zero reception for either Verizon or T-Mobile (had no way to test ATT), but it remembers her access password and automatically binds to it. Wish that worked on this last trip... they changed routers and the cousin who set it up couldn't remember the password...

The only negative is that it doesn't hand-off to towers so if I get in my car while on a call, the call will drop when I get to the first Stop sign out of the neighborhood (which is actually pretty dang good).

To answer the Skype comment, neither technology is related to Skype; both use their own VoIP (voice over IP) streaming.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:20 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Quote:
Peter,

Actually, we opted for the third option, where they supply it and we're not charged the twenty bucks a month. In order to go that route though you need to go through a manager where they check to see if you really have zero reception at your residence. Also, somewhere along that conversation it was mentioned that we have been long time customers with two accounts that would consider bailing ship if we didn't like the direction this little chat was going in.
That third option is certainly less objectionable than the other two. I'm going with the fourth option. When my contract is up this fall, I'll replace my AT&T iPhone with a Verizon one without looking back.

It never made any sense to me to have to pay (even MORE! to) AT&T for additional hardware and services just for the privilege of being able to use my iPhone in my own house (where I spend 90% of my time). Particularly since AT&T's coverage at the lake (where I spend most of the rest of my time) also ranges from pathetic to non-existent.

By contrast, Clay's Verizon phone works perfectly EVERYWHERE, and last week we bought a Verizon enabled iPad. I spent much of the weekend surfing and downloading apps with it... on the boat. No matter where we went, it was ridiculously fast, with no drops in service.

In the meantime, I've found Google Voice (along with all its other excellent and amazing features) to be an ideal workaround for avoiding bad iPhone reception with incoming calls at home. I've programmed it to ring both our land line and my iPhone - so if I'm home when I get a call, I can always just pick it up on the land line. The only things I use my iPhone for when I'm in the house are outgoing long distance calls and texting.

Yeah. I'm SO looking forward to hanging up on AT&T.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:12 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post
That third option is certainly less objectionable than the other two. I'm going with the fourth option. When my contract is up this fall, I'll replace my AT&T iPhone with a Verizon one without looking back.

It never made any sense to me to have to pay (even MORE! to) AT&T for additional hardware and services just for the privilege of being able to use my iPhone in my own house (where I spend 90% of my time). Particularly since AT&T's coverage at the lake (where I spend most of the rest of my time) also ranges from pathetic to non-existent.

By contrast, Clay's Verizon phone works perfectly EVERYWHERE, and last week we bought a Verizon enabled iPad. I spent much of the weekend surfing and downloading apps with it... on the boat. No matter where we went, it was ridiculously fast, with no drops in service.

In the meantime, I've found Google Voice (along with all its other excellent and amazing features) to be an ideal workaround for avoiding bad iPhone reception with incoming calls at home. I've programmed it to ring both our land line and my iPhone - so if I'm home when I get a call, I can always just pick it up on the land line. The only things I use my iPhone for when I'm in the house are outgoing long distance calls and texting.

Yeah. I'm SO looking forward to hanging up on AT&T.
Verizon is THE phone of choice in my region also.