Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 07:17 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor
Default Re: The Anarchist's Tool Chest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
In theory that is absolutely correct however if the Stanley is lubricated & working smoothly the down-force really isn't much more than is needed anyhow to avoid cam-out of the fastener. The big enemy to my thinking is the slotted screw drive -- they will defy removal (or insertion) by any power means and only succumb to a flat blade screw driver. I may build a church on the torx drive fastener...
If you do, I will join it.

I presently attend St. Laurie's First Caffeinated.
Long on refreshments, but a "bit" short on message.

Perhaps our churches should merge.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-07-2011, 08:54 AM

Thanks, Laurie.

Before reading your comment, I thought Ron had written the even stranger "...build a church WITH the torx drive fastener"....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:47 PM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

Quote:
I may build a church on the torx drive fastener...
I'd recommend building your church on at least FOUR fasteners - one supporting each corner.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
My favorite store (Lee Valley) sells inserts for your Stanley screwdriver that will hold all modern hex style bits so you can drive/remove virtually any fastener and even drill lead holes for hanging pictures, etc.
Thanks for that tip, Ron! I checked it out, looked at some other options, and ended up ordering this one on sale from Garrett Wade. Even at its clearance price, the Garrett Wade adapter was more than twice the price of the Veritas version, but I like that it has a locking nut as well as a magnet. People (and their kids) seem to gravitate to my shop, so I'll appreciate that extra insurance every time somebody picks up the screwdriver, plays with the mechanism... and inevitably releases the spring without controlling the shaft.

From a purely aesthetic perspective, I also have to say that the Garrett Wade adapter just seems like a nicer fit with the tool, but this aspect alone would not have been enough to make me choose it over the more economical Veritas offering. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaRanger
Perhaps it's just me, but the now very, very old Stanley that was a part of my childhood - in other words, was my parents so now should be on the order of 60 years old -

I really and truly disliked, so much so that i purposely made sure some sibling got it.
I hate to be the stirrer-upper of bad memories. Would it help to know that my Yankee 130A screwdriver is actually pre-Stanley?

The "North Bros. Mfg. Co." stamp on its barrel would indicate that it was made prior to 1946, the year Stanley purchased North Bros. (Following the acquisition, the stamp was changed to include an additional line reading "Div. of Stanley Tools.")

Anyway, for as old as it is, it's in AMAZINGLY nice condition. Apart from a tiny chip to the paint on the handle and a little corrosion on the driver bits, it's in perfect shape. If it weren't for the slight grubbiness of the knurled parts, you'd think it had never been used at all. Clearly it spent most of its prior life with someone who took good care of his tools.

Now I just need to learn to use it!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:02 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post
Thanks for that tip, Ron! I checked it out, looked at some other options, and ended up ordering this one on sale from Garrett Wade. Even at its clearance price, the Garrett Wade adapter was more than twice the price of the Veritas version, but I like that it has a locking nut as well as a magnet. People (and their kids) seem to gravitate to my shop, so I'll appreciate that extra insurance every time somebody picks up the screwdriver, plays with the mechanism... and inevitably releases the spring without controlling the shaft.

From a purely aesthetic perspective, I also have to say that the Garrett Wade adapter just seems like a nicer fit with the tool, but this aspect alone would not have been enough to make me choose it over the more economical Veritas offering. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ).

I hate to be the stirrer-upper of bad memories. Would it help to know that my Yankee 130A screwdriver is actually pre-Stanley?

The "North Bros. Mfg. Co." stamp on its barrel would indicate that it was made prior to 1946, the year Stanley purchased North Bros. (Following the acquisition, the stamp was changed to include an additional line reading "Div. of Stanley Tools.")

Anyway, for as old as it is, it's in AMAZINGLY nice condition. Apart from a tiny chip to the paint on the handle and a little corrosion on the driver bits, it's in perfect shape. If it weren't for the slight grubbiness of the knurled parts, you'd think it had never been used at all. Clearly it spent most of its prior life with someone who took good care of his tools.

Now I just need to learn to use it!
North Bros. maintained their superior quality for quite awhile even after Stanley bought them -- then (as with Stanley) things started going south...
Old 07-08-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post
Hmmm... it's just possible I could actually WIN this game....

.... Now, like Okami, I also have one of these:

Dream on ...

When it comes to Neanderthal Tools, I think I have more than an edge in this forum

That Stanley #130 is a terrific driver. I also have a couple of smaller #135, and well as a LARGE #130. Generally I do not use them on their extensions, but just for the ratchet facility.

#135 and 130 ...

What about BRACES?! These are fantastic for large holes ... have FAR MORE torque than any powered handheld driver. Plus they make amazing drives. Even better, they are superb with a countersink. The slow speed allows for much better control. You will thank me.

My braces go from 5" through to 12" ...

A couple of Yankees ...

And this Miller's Falls is a beauty ..

Don't forget these ..

Now let's talk eggbeaters. The three best around ..

Miller's Falls #2 and #5, and a North 1530A ...

And just in case I did not have enough, I built a couple of braces ...

And this one wound up here ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 07-08-2011, 02:59 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

The brace you made is a little beauty! Is the chuck a hex detent?

The chuck on that Miller Falls brace is interesting. I don't have one like that. Would like to see a picture of the business end.

If I find my small camera I might drag out my braces and hand drills.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
The brace you made is a little beauty! Is the chuck a hex detent?

The chuck on that Miller Falls brace is interesting. I don't have one like that. Would like to see a picture of the business end.

If I find my small camera I might drag out my braces and hand drills.
Hi Michael

Here are a few pics of the business end of the Millers brace ..

.. and the other end:

The shopmade braces have similar designs. Both use hex bits ...

She-oak body and Tasmanian Blackwood (like Koa) rest ..

Details: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...eview2009.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 07-08-2011, 06:46 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I've got most sizes of the North Bros. 2101's Derek, what time period was that model Miller Falls brace manufactured?
I'll snap some pictures of some beautiful egg beaters that I have -- I get addicted to models (about ~20 egg beaters) then move on.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:09 PM

Derek, I'm speechless - what a wonderful collection!

Your shopmade braces are just amazingly beautiful.
I can't even imagine making something like that... EVER.

Although I'm making SOME progress:
Yesterday I figured out how to use SketchUp.

AND (as a result)... guess what?!?

I'm nearly finished drawing plans for my first real woodworking project...
... a sliding lid pencil box like yours!

Or rather, it's like yours in the PLANS anyway.
The EXECUTION may be another story.
(not to mention that the wood won't be nearly as pretty)
But I'll do my best.