talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

Default Has the economy affected your business?

I've heard through the grapevine that several of you are feeling the effects of our slow economy. It must also be difficult with the high price of fuel. How are you coping?
Old 08-12-2008, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Has the economy affected your business?

Business really slowed down last month not many orders...
This month has started just as bad.
I'm guessing it's a combination of people on their holidays, and the rising fuel and living costs. Potential customers are holding back on spending maybe.. I know my wife and I are. I was speaking to another local woodworker last week, He's having a dry patch too. Hopefully things will pick up.
My wife drives a BMW I taking the key's from her and giving her a bus pass, and a new bicycle:p the fastest way to get a slap:tigersmile:
Okami
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Isn't there a law about driving Japanese cars in Japan? I drive Japanese cars in the US!

And how does a woodworker afford a BMW? You must be doing quite well, in spite of the dry spell. I'm a poor starving professor, so I stick to Mazdas and Hondas (10 years old).
Old 08-12-2008, 04:40 PM

Hi Potosan

It's an old car, and it's a guzzler. The old cars ain't worth much here, regardless of maker It's got 100,000km on the clock. It's still a nice car, but costs too much to maintain and run.
I'd like one of the Hybrids. They're becoming popular now
Okami:tigersmile:
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

It appears I've hijacked my own thread, but what the heck.

I bought a Mazda 323 back in 1989. $6500 new. I put over 100K miles on it - including driving it across the country - before I sold it to a grad student in 2000. He drove it all over, and sold it to someone else. They sold it to someone who is onw one of my grad students! Talk about small world. It's got over 300K miles on it, and still going strong. The student says it's a bit noisy over 70 miles an hour - but it was when I owned it, too!

Good luck in getting a hybrid. I wish they were about $10K cheaper...
Old 08-13-2008, 02:21 AM

Want to buy a hybrid at a dicount? Work for Google. My brothers wife works for google and recently bought a prius. Seems that that had a program that if you bought one they would pitch in $5000.

Back to the question asked originally, I drive a ford f350 that pulls a 5000 lb plus trailer. Gas mileage is 10 to 11 mpg. Bought a truck cap in the hopes that I could consolidate all those systainers and other tools in the truck and eliminate taking the trailer on smaller jobs. Working on that now. Also turning down work if the distance is too far. Also consolidating days if the schedule isn't full. Stay at home and make days fuller.

If I had a crew we would be working 4 10 hour days. A Friday off one week and then the following Monday off one set of weeks and then alternating. Good for morale - 4 day weekends twice a month.

Peter
Old 08-13-2008, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Good luck in getting a hybrid. I wish they were about $10K cheaper...
Check out the Camry hybrid. It's almost exactly the same price as the regular Camry.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

Except I wouldn't afford a Camry either...

So Peter - you've altered your driving habits, and are thinking a bit more about the jobs you take? Mostly because of fuel prices, not because of the economy...

This'll sound harsh, but I think that the high fuel prices are the best thing to happen to this planet in a long time. I think it's a great opportunity to develop some new technologies to wean us from fossil fuels.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:20 AM
Founding Member

Poter, may you die a slow and lingering death or pay my gas bills for the next two years.

Now you could also come up with alternative low cost fuel and all would be understood and forgiven. Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 08-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

...This'll sound harsh, but I think that the high fuel prices are the best thing to happen to this planet in a long time.

I agree, the high price of fuel caused the price of big trucks to go through the floor. I just picked up a beautiful 2006 F250 V10 with only 12,000 miles on it for $17,500. I need to stop at every gas station, but it has power and torque up the wazoo.

Relax, Poto, this truck is just for going to pick up lumber, it'll spend most of the time in the garage. My other car is a hybrid.