talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Founding Member

Default talkFestool

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I want to see if I can get some type of understanding here. We have a great forum and I still find it amazing that we have so few people participating. It makes no sense to me. I go onto other forum and the people are just downright rude to the point of sometimes feeling malicious. Here we have some amazingly smart, knowledgeable, funny and caring people. I also think that we have a great database of information.

So why do we not have more interest? We have only ever had two dustups in our history. I mean, heck on many forum they have that in a day. Plus, if you take a forum like the FOG you quite literally have the same five or six questions over and over and over. Do not get me wrong the FOG has a place and there is no better place for Festool information but it can be really boring. You can say that John and I speak too much about our newest tools or whatever but the reality is that we are trying to generate interest and get people talking and exchanging ideas.

I will be glad to never post another tool if that will help bring people back to the board. So, please tell us we need to do to breath life back into our forum. I love this place and the people on it but as John has said to me on a few occasions that he is worried that our forum is going is going to turn into a blog between him and me.

Please do not worry about offending me. If I am the reason that people have left or are posting less, well I want to know. I am not saying it won't hurt but that is not important. Our forum is what matters.

Thank you all,

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: talkFestool

I'd particularly like to hear the thoughts of our large "lurker" population on this. What can we do to encourage you all to participate more fully in our forum?

P.S. I find it hard to imagine that it's you, Fred! This forum would be a wispy shadow of itself without you and John to make fun of.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I'd particularly like to hear the thoughts of our large "lurker" population on this. What can we do to encourage you all to participate more fully in our forum?

P.S. I find it hard to imagine that it's you, Fred! This forum would be a wispy shadow of itself without you and John to make fun of.
Peter,

I sincerely hope that you are more correct than not but I just do not know. Your question on the lurkers is spot on. I am really glad that they are there and reading our posts but I really wish they would come out and post. One of the things that I love the most about our forum is that we are very friendly and welcoming to new members regardless whether they are a novice or an expert, a manufacturer or vendor. All are welcome to come enter our world of woodworking, some metalworking, some candies or cookies, puppies/dogs, cars, etc.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-12-2011, 07:38 PM

Fred,

Quote:
You can say that John and I speak too much about our newest tools
I can't say for certain that all of your tools are keeping/scaring people away. but in the selfless interest of the succes of the forum; you should send them all to me and we can see for sure.

Don't thank me, and don't call me a hero, it's the least I can do for a forum that has done so much for me.

-Rutager
Old 06-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post

Don't thank me, and don't call me a hero, it's the least I can do for a forum that has done so much for me.

-Rutager
I've said it before, what a nice guy.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
Fred,

I can't say for certain that all of your tools are keeping/scaring people away. but in the selfless interest of the succes of the forum; you should send them all to me and we can see for sure.

-Rutager
WOW, Rutager you are a gem, a real selfless, walking hero among men. In fact you are so amazing I would not want to sully your sterling reputation with tools that are so clearly inferior to you.

Fred
Old 06-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

I don't see a real problem here. Yes, from time to time we don't have all that much activity. But, now and again we do have some great discussions here. Look at all that Philip shared on the making of fine planes. Remember the great bench project threads -- and we still have one that is ongoing and another that we are expecting from our own Fred West. And who can forget Laurie's thread on polishing her sailboat. Now we're hearing from Stu about those fine Japanese products. I'm sure I've inadvertently left some great and memorable thread out of this short list, but you can see my point -- oh, my whoops, let me cover back up...

Maybe you guys don't share my opinion, but I just don't think we have a problem here and when things get a little slow, I do expect that the next great thread is just around the corner. It may be true that some other forums have a great deal of activity, but as often is the case, much of that content gets lost within the shear bulk of what is there, or much is simply just a bunch of same ole same ole. I think we have a great bunch here, and we continue to get new members. And, while all member are important here, we are most fortunate to get some of the fine tool manufacturers and vendors that those other forums don't. I think we should count our blessings.

Last edited by Corwin; 06-12-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:30 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

I don't think it's the tool threads; in fact, I've sent links to those to others many many times. But those friends of mine aren't real forum people so they'll read then leave.

As a more recent regular here, I'll say I lurked for quite awhile off and on and didn't post mostly because this group does seem pretty close so it's like interjecting in a private conversation. So... any lurker reading this, know that you won't be interrupting anything! In fact, you'll likely send the thread off to yet another tangent.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:32 PM

Fred,

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post

I will be glad to never post another tool if that will help bring people back to the board.
I certainly hope not. I'd not know what I'm missing out on if it weren't for posts like that. Sure, I jest in part, but there's a germ of sincerity there, too. I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have an idea of Auriou's work, or Bridge City's, or Marcou's if it wasn't for this forum and your gloats. I mean, posts. And already I forgot those gorgeous Harold & Saxon chisels that I covet. So, please, don't take that thrill away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post
Please do not worry about offending me. If I am the reason that people have left or are posting less, well I want to know. I am not saying it won't hurt but that is not important. Our forum is what matters.
Eh, not in the least. Franksly, (Poto-ly?) your posts are part of the reason that I come in to see what's going on.

So how come I don't post more? In part, I do more renovation work than what I perceive as the furniture-y bent to here. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate what I see, so I'll promise to do a better job on commenting. More than anything it's an assumption that rewiring and replumbing a 1930s house isn't nearly as exciting as building a wine cabinet.

As I delve more into the hand tool world, and get to play around on fun projects like designing some custom paneling or interior/exterior doors (instead of insulation and drywall), I'll do some photos.

Best,
Steve
Old 06-12-2011, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMarcel View Post

As a more recent regular here, I'll say I lurked for quite awhile off and on and didn't post mostly because this group does seem pretty close so it's like interjecting in a private conversation ...
That's a good point. I think many of us got to know each other better through attending shows, field trips, and plain old "get togethers". We need to work on more of those.

You can never have enough friends who are interested in tools and machines, metal and wood.