talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 05:18 PM

Default Re: talkFestool

Ouch. Must disagree. SMC is painful. That level of moderation keeps good ideas from bubbling to the surface. And makes for a boring read to boot.

One good thing about Corian is that the damaged area can be cut out and a clean piece glued in place. When done right no-one will ever know. So hang on to all usefull scraps. Makes great jigs too.

And DON"T overclamp. You WILL squeeze out the glue! Light pressure only, spring clamps work best.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:14 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: From the Offcuts Guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaRanger View Post
By the way, may I throw out here that you should never, never let drip onto your Corian commercial kitchen-grade stove degreasers?
...parsing...parsing...got it.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post

We know the wide belt sander runs, as Felder played with it in Delaware
Okami,

I deg to biffer. What we know is that the Wide Belt Sander ran while in Delaware but misuse by lack of use could have caused untold damage. We could have rubber rot on the cord, could have a new breed of metal termites that have eaten the inside of the machine, etc. I think you can see where I am coming from.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-17-2011, 07:42 PM

Not sure who it is you're disagreeing with, Craig - certainly not me! As my post #20:
Quote:
Heh - one of the peculiarities that I appreciate about this forum is that - especially in this always-insane 100 or so days of summer business - it remains generally true that I can miss checking in for a number of days and find that when I do return, I've not missed too much that I cannot find and read through threads I would like to peruse.

Have you tried that at, say, SawMill Creek? Holy Nakashima, that site can be a fire hydrant at the bottom of Niagara!!!! Miss six or ten hours on a popular thread, and your last read will be buried four pages deep. For me, that tends to be more frustrating than elucidating.

Now did I tell you of the fine black wolf Jenny and I sighted six evenings ago?
Hey, ParsleyChewerNed: that's what comes off my keyboard when I've had too much no coffee. And had had overly much no coffee at that time of this morning. Coffee is King....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-17-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
...A propos of this discussion-

I realize I could get a better answer for my current question about Corian on, say, SawmillCk -

Better?
Old 06-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Quote:
...A propos of this discussion-
; and participants often have fun answering questions with the veering off on multi-dimensional tangents.

So Audie, are you saying we have Woodworking A.D.D.?

Perhaps a better new name: WoodworkingADD.com

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 06-17-2011, 09:03 PM

My see/saw amount of posting has more to do with time than anything. I just don't make it in here as much as I wish I could. tF is by far my favorite forum. I'm just on Twitter much more regularly, as it's one of my primary marketing tools, for myself and Asheville Hardware.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:54 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Like my new sig it's accurate too
I won't keep it up, its just for a giggle
HEAR HEAR Okamisan! It's too bad that you can't also fit a few pictures of the gorgeous craftsmanship that you perform with those meager tools...
Old 06-29-2011, 02:56 AM

I posted my comments the night before I left for a weeks vacation in Yellowstone Park and just now getting around to reading and a followup reply.

Trident Development was a company I worked for hence the name Trident98. Some of you I met at Sam Maloof's and know my name is Tim Mahoney. If I seemed serious to some of you it was because I was. I was there to learn from a real professional. I didn't want my time wasted as Maloof was someone I admired since first reading about him back in 1976. I have been in construction for over 38 yrs. The last 2 yrs have been in custom furniture designs and builds. This past year I've been busy building electric guitars tricked out with mother of pearl inlays. I'm in the middle of an acoustic build now so I go to a few luthier forums. I am a professional construction project manager that got caught up in the crappy economy but rather than sit idle I'm using my time to do what I really enjoy and that is woodworking. I'm one of the luckier ones in that I'm close to retirement anyway and have been saving for rainy days as I knew they were coming when busboys in Vegas were buying homes.

I have posted many of my projects on other forums and enjoy the friends I have made because of it. I only know others by their posts but they are all nice, professional or not. What does being a professional have to do with what is posted or replied to? It's all about content. If you look at enough questions and answers you can get a good idea of what the correct way to accomplish a task. I'm not looking for quick answers but answers that are helpful and informative. I print page after page of instructions just on French Polish. Youtube is like my library at home. I enjoy looking at what others are doing as I have said before. I assume Poto isn't a "professional" woodworker but enjoy looking at what he is building. I like seeing what Laurie is working on as it makes me laugh remembering all I have gone through in my learning how to make a guitar for the first time. I give her credit for trying. On the other hand watching someone unload a piece of machinery is honestly boring. Once I get my Yellowstone pics separated from my work pics I'll post some here and get out my catchers mitt for the flak. For anyone who hasn't visited Yellowstone, go. What a beautiful breathtaking adventure.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:42 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trident98 View Post
This past year I've been busy building electric guitars tricked out with mother of pearl inlays
I print page after page of instructions just on French Polish. Youtube is like my library at home
I like seeing what Laurie is working on as it makes me laugh remembering all I have gone through in my learning how to make a guitar for the first time.
Once I get my Yellowstone pics separated from my work pics I'll post some here and get out my catchers mitt for the flak.
For anyone who hasn't visited Yellowstone, go. What a beautiful breathtaking adventure.
Tim, I can't WAIT to see your pics. I'll bet those guitars are fabulous.

Your French Polish comment cracked me up - I do the same thing. All the time. About EVERYTHING.

Thanks for the nice words. I bought some incredible veneers today.
As usual, I have no clue how to use them. But they are DELICIOUS to look at.
And I'm sure they have a lot to teach me.

Meanwhile... I'd love to see the Yellowstone pics, too.