talkFestool

talkFestool (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/)
-   Woodworkers Cafe (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/woodworkers-cafe/)
-   -   Hey you cook's out there (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/woodworkers-cafe/431-hey-you-cooks-out-there.html)

colinwhite 08-11-2008 02:40 AM

Hey you cook's out there

Being as there are many of you out there advertising your culinary skills instead of looking around on the internet I'm going to ask you guys ..

I have two hulking slabs of ribs in my refrigerator heading for 10 hrs in the smoker tomorrow my dry rub I usually use is good but I am always looking for others anyone want too chime in here and make any suggestions ?....maybe something really different ?

SteveW 08-11-2008 04:17 AM

Re: Hey you cook's out there

Brown sugar, smoked paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, kosher salt, pepper, cayenne, just grab some spices and see what you come up with. I prefer to smoke for a few hours, wrap in foil with beer, to steam a bit and then finish on the grill, with some home made bbq sauce.:stirthepot:

colinwhite 08-11-2008 04:25 AM

Thanks Steve that's pretty much what I use now and then I smoke for 3 hours then wrap in foil for the rest of the time with some apple cider in there then finish on the grill..... thanks for taking the time to share !:)
I will try beer instead of the apple cider if nothing better shows up....

DWyatt 08-11-2008 04:36 AM

Colin,

I was talking to this oceanographer dude one time and the topic of our conversation turned to dry rubs. He shared his secret to his award winning rub. He didn't swear me to secrecy so I'll let you in on it....

phytoplankton:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Seriously though I've benn trying to reach my little brother who knows his way around the grill and smoker but he seems to be AWOL or something. If I hear back from him I'll let you know.

Darrin

colinwhite 08-11-2008 04:42 AM

Hey Darrin thanks, I have some pretty good concoctions but always willing to try something new. My wife thinks I'm strange ...An English BBQ freak.....

Poto 08-11-2008 05:18 AM

Excellent idea, Darrin!!

I can get some good phytoplankton-filled seawater and evaporate it for you. It'll be a nice salt infused with phytoplankton, nutrients, minerals (including gold), and some tiny zooplankton and bacteria. YUM!

You'd probably want to add some chipotle to spice it up a bit.

Poto 08-11-2008 05:21 AM

More seriously, I have a killer, simple recipe for frozen shrimp. Costco has these great frozen shrimp - I get a bag and thaw them in cold water. Then thread 4 or 5 on a pair of skewers (back-to-back). Then rub on some chipotle powder, salt and olive oil. Grill for a couple of minutes each side. Take them off the skewers, put them in a bowl, and let people dig in. They're amazing, and take like 10 minutes all together.

BillWyko 08-11-2008 08:31 AM

If you want a fantastic sauce, try Grandma Koyote's BBQ sauce. The owner of the company is a friend of mine. Him and his wife make the stuff and it's incredible. They also have a rub now too. I haven't tried it but it's got to be great. There website is www.grandmakoyotesbbq.com Let me know if you take it for a test drive. Another great sauce is Sweet baby rays. You can always send them to me for a taste test on dry ice.:stirthepot::thumbsup2:

BobSwenson 08-11-2008 06:08 PM

I do cook --- see my post on "Do you cook" by Poto
The other day a friend brought in some Buffalo
Wings to the legion, they were out standing.
the original buffalo wings were deep fried until crispy
than covered with a sauce made with half butter and half
Frank's Hot Sauce. He made his sauce with equal parts of
butter, honey, and Franks Hot Sauce. They were great, try it. :stirthepot:
Bob
Baking the wings works too.

colinwhite 08-11-2008 06:35 PM

Bob,
Especially at this time of year I love to cook outside, shoulders of pork, brisket and ribs in other words BBQ , Also being an avid Fisherman, after a successful venture out on the water a Fish fry is not unusual. Another favorite of mine are buffalo wing's so next time I make some I will try you sauce Bob.

If you like sweet honey BBQ sauce try this it's very good

One bottle of regular BBQ sauce add about 1/4 cup honey and 1/4 cup Guava paste to a sauce pan and heat and stir gently till mixed . You can add more or less honey or guava paste to tase