Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 01:05 AM
Administrator

Default Re: How was your year? 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
I'm still a little fuzzy on just what John's expectations are for this new year...

Okay, maybe I should have use a word other than fuzzy.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:08 AM

My year was tough. Strapped and stressed. I don't see signs of it getting any better. But they say if yer a pessimist you'll either be right or pleasantly surprised .
Old 01-03-2011, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EijiFuller View Post
My year was tough. Strapped and stressed. I don't see signs of it getting any better. But they say if yer a pessimist you'll either be right or pleasantly surprised .

I'm in the same boat... 2010 is a year I would like to delete! But 2011 already took off quiet well Eiji hope yours will too!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-04-2011, 01:43 AM

I had a good year - work and woodworking wise. Only wish I had more time (on both counts).

John - is a powered shop a 2011 resolution for you or will you stick with hand tools?

neil
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-04-2011, 02:19 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

Since 2009 was horrible then 2010 terrible (horrible > terrible), my expectation is that 2011 will be better as that's the only direction it can go if there's any change. Then again, those 2 data points draw a bleak line.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator

Well - it's the slope of the line that's important...
Old 01-04-2011, 03:37 AM

2010 began for us with an extremely mild - for Alaska - winter. That we saw only two spells of temps in the minus 30s (F) meant that we did get out and play xc skiing and snowmachining - quite a bit.

More germane to this forum, it also meant I was able to summon nerve and blood circulation to come close to finishing my Garaj Mahal, most importantly its upper floor, which is a 42'-deep by 32'-wide, 13'-high open space that has become Jenny's and my livingroom... and that we also make available for our cabin guests as an activity room. I'll post photos of it down the road. In April, we hosted two-thirds of our state's entire congressional delegation to D.C.: Congressman Don Young and Senator Lisa Murkowski. Normally, of course, who our guests are remains private, but public officials are public....:

Summer started magnificently, with an unprecedented number of days in May where the temps hit 70. Ah, well. That soon ended. The rest of the summer was either wet, cold or wet and cold. For ALL of Alaska. Extremely important for us, as unhappy weather makes for unhappy guests. Still in all, the tourism business in 2010 was a significant improvement over 2009, and our cabin bookings were quite satisfactory. Our TOUR operations, however, were the poorest in my dozen years here. No one wanted to go out in the rain! Strange, that.

The summer's, and year's, highlight was Jenny's and my wedding ceremony over the July 4 weekend. We closed down the business for the two weeks surrounding the date, and hosted family and friends from all over: New Zealand, Netherlands, Utah, New England, PacNW, Arizona, Canada... Had the ceremony right on compound, along the banks of the Gulkana River, with a GREAT Maid of Honor and Best Man:

Summer and its rains ended, and September once again turned dry, clear, crisp, warm and glorious. Still, I was inside enough to find a woodworking forum with an active member who had the curious name of "Fred West". Could it be....????..... naah. A look into his profile showed this FW was far younger than the one whose name was intimately associated with something near and dear to my heart: This Place I Call Home. Little did I know....
Then, for five (very long!) weeks, we packed Aurora and Borealis in the F-350, and drove 12,900 miles from here to Maine, throughout New England during its leaf season,
and on down to D.C. En route, I picked up 250 board feet of hard maple, tiger maple and black walnut (northern VT);
we also stopped at Lee Valley in Edmonton AB (twice! There and Back!), Lie-Nielsen in Warren ME, and looked at an Inca jointer/planer... but did not buy. And met Ron W at a western Penna I-80 off-ramp, where he handed off one of his Domino plates. Thanks, Ron!

December ended the year with the coldest temps in Alaska's last thirty: most of the month the day's high was between -20 and -25; lows -30 to -36. Nothing special about those numbers if one at a time, but with no break until just before New Year's.... we burned up a LOT of firewood! So I am happy to report that despoite that I actually did get a little - just a little - work time with both some Festools and that BCTW JMPv2... as I have been able to keep the temps in my shop at a consistent 85 to 95 degrees HIGHER than ambient. Wow. But I still haven't begun building that workbench....

So: commercially, the year was on the good to very good part of the spectrum, and far better than the prior year. Bookings for 2011 by year's end are way, way, up, with a real surge coming from European guests.

Oh. And I spent the late-December time not in the workshop intensely competing against Poto-san, RobGB, ScottW and a bunch of other worthies for future trips to the dentist.:p

Last edited by AlaskaRanger; 01-04-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilc View Post

John - is a powered shop a 2011 resolution for you or will you stick with hand tools?

I know I'm going to regret revealing this publicly, but I (actually WE) have resolved that any of my machines that are not fully functional by June 30, 2011 will be sold. And, the proceeds cannot be used to purchase any other equipment or tools.

How's that for an incentive?

Old 01-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

YOW!

That's a pretty scary resolution, John.

Are you sure you don't want to donate the tools, instead? I know a worthy amateur woodworker down in SD who would love to have them...
Old 01-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

That's a pretty scary resolution, John.
Believe me, it was made under some duress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

Are you sure you don't want to donate the tools, instead? I know a worthy amateur woodworker down in SD who would love to have them...
Define worthy.