talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 09:40 AM

Default Re: How's your Weather?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
There's a few HNTs sitting there Okami .
That's the plan, Brett.
The truth is, I don't get to use it much anymore and it just sits there getting banged. I use hand planes everyday
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:48 AM

I'm still about in the garden, so here's a couple of snaps. Taken from my phone, so excuse the poor quality.
I don't have a botanical name, the truth is I know nothing about them. They were here when I moved in December.
I have four green maples and the deep red one

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:31 AM

Ah, good, thanks for that. I think it may be the same one. Even though we're in the same timezone (or near enough) mine is in total darkness.

That picture tells me far more than I asked for......
Old 04-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post

I'm still about in the garden, so here's a couple of snaps. Taken from my phone, so excuse the poor quality ...
I think the photo quality is actually quite good, Okamisan.

What beautiful, serene surroundings you have. I'm jealous.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:51 AM

The surroundings inhabits lots of critters, John!
This one just gives me the creeps!
One of my cats came home today with a swollen face, probably been playing with one of those Japanese centipedes

Old 04-30-2013, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Eeewww! (That's a technical term used by us scientists to describe certain arthropods.)

Thanks for those pictures, Okami-san. That's a cute little kayak - I'm guessing it's a surf shoe? Or do you use it on rivers? Looks like a lot of fun. Do you get to use it much?
Old 05-01-2013, 01:11 AM

The kayak is a white water, free-style type. It's very nimble, capable of all sorts of spins and turns. A bit like a break-dancing kayak
I don't get out on it much at all anymore..I'm actually in the process of trying to sell it at the moment. These days I'd rather bundle down some water with a few mates on an inflatable raft, that's fun!
Old 05-01-2013, 03:26 AM

That centipede actually inspires me to make a table or something. Nice lines and shape. Great contrast with the dark body and highlights. Hmmmnnnn.
Tom
Old 05-01-2013, 03:53 AM

Tom, I can send you a few if you want, they're all over the place here
Getting in the house as well... My wife thinks eucalyptus essential oil deters them, and has been dabbing it all over the house
Old 05-01-2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkTom View Post
That centipede actually inspires me to make a table or something. Nice lines and shape. Great contrast with the dark body and highlights. Hmmmnnnn.
Tom
Possibly a table. With tapered legs and eight chairs with similar legs. The table would be 2.4m x 1.2 metres and the legs and rails would be Tung Oil highly burnished to give a high satin sheen and reflection, similar to the legs of the centipede. The legs and rails of the chairs would be done likewise., to give the impression of the many centipede legs.
The top would be done in something dark with lighter highlights to suggest the centipede carapace. I'd use either highly figured fiddle back Tasmanian Blackwood or a choice piece of River Red Gum, with dark cloud patterns throughout. Again burnished Tung Oil for a finish.
For you in the rest of the world, perhaps the top could be Cocobolo or Brazilian Walnut (figured if possible.) The main aim is to give the feeling of cool strength and "flexible rigidity."

Regards,

Rob