talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Default Do you cook?

I have this theory about smart creative people expressing their creativity in multiple ways, and I'm guessing that there are some very accomplished chefs among us.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I love making pasta. My signature ravioli fillings are smoked salmon and goat cheese, duck with dried cherries and three cheeses, and porcini, chanterelle and goat cheese. I love cooking with gamy flavors - the Japanese would call it umami I think.

We just finished a major remodel, and now (along with my tools) have high-quality German engineered appliances (all Bosch). The knives are Henkel, and the cookware is mostly All Clad stainless.

So - what's in your kitchen? What do you cook, and what do you cook with?

P.S. Dan - my wife wants your lemon square recipe!
P.P.S. I hope it was Dan!
Old 08-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Inactive Member

Poto, I absolutely love to cook--more than I like woodworking. I would brag about my grilling workstation, but ChrisM's Posting puts my grill workstation to so much shame that I am embarrassed to even show it any more.

However, here is a thought for you. I make this salmon with a special dry rub from my local meat supplier that has a sweet taste (normally used for ribs). Then I braze/caramelize orange marmalade on the top of the salmon. It is an excellent combination of flavors.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

While I agree that there's no point showing off kitchens any more after Chris's post (Yow! :sdrool we'd love to see your set-up.

And I love your salmon idea. What's your favorite kind of salmon to use? I love to wait for the Copper River King. It's outrageously priced, but I'm convinced I can taste the difference.

And speaking of tasting the difference, has anyone tried a wine tasting with those Riedel glasses? The big ones? We did that once, and it really made a huge difference in the flavor of the wine. I was shocked.

Maybe we should have a recipes corner...? :sdrool:
Old 08-10-2008, 05:21 PM
A Festool User First

Send a message via AIM to TimmyC Send a message via Yahoo to TimmyC Send a message via Skype™ to TimmyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
While I agree that there's no point showing off kitchens any more after Chris's post (Yow! :sdrool we'd love to see your set-up.

And I love your salmon idea. What's your favorite kind of salmon to use? I love to wait for the Copper River King. It's outrageously priced, but I'm convinced I can taste the difference.

And speaking of tasting the difference, has anyone tried a wine tasting with those Riedel glasses? The big ones? We did that once, and it really made a huge difference in the flavor of the wine. I was shocked.

Maybe we should have a recipes corner...? :sdrool:
With Festool Fest coming up soon, we can always accept Food from tF members in lieu of there absence??? We could could also have the "Great Festool Fest cook off." However, there would need to be a Festool tool used during the cooking process.

C12 as a mixer?
TS Saws to strip beef for a stir fry for example???
OF 1400 to rout profiles on veggies?

t
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-10-2008, 05:33 PM

Hl 850 for potato chips.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I have this theory about smart creative people expressing their creativity in multiple ways, and I'm guessing that there are some very accomplished chefs among us.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I love making pasta. My signature ravioli fillings are smoked salmon and goat cheese, duck with dried cherries and three cheeses, and porcini, chanterelle and goat cheese. I love cooking with gamy flavors - the Japanese would call it umami I think.

We just finished a major remodel, and now (along with my tools) have high-quality German engineered appliances (all Bosch). The knives are Henkel, and the cookware is mostly All Clad stainless.

So - what's in your kitchen? What do you cook, and what do you cook with?

P.S. Dan - my wife wants your lemon square recipe!
P.P.S. I hope it was Dan!
Poto,

Those ravioli fillings sound amazing. Yumm! :stongue:

I haven't cooked the lemon squares in a while. I'll have to search! I attached my Carrot Cake recipe to tide you over!

Regards,

Dan.

Attached Files
File Type: doc CarrotCakeRecipe.DOC (14.5 KB, 250 views)
Old 08-10-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
With Festool Fest coming up soon, we can always accept Food from tF members in lieu of there absence??? We could could also have the "Great Festool Fest cook off." However, there would need to be a Festool tool used during the cooking process.

C12 as a mixer?
TS Saws to strip beef for a stir fry for example???
OF 1400 to rout profiles on veggies?

t
I'll be sure to bring my MFK 700 margarita/smoothie blender/mixer.

D
Old 08-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Perfect Little Angel

Dan,

Good to see that you finally posted that. I thought I had asked before but never got to see it. I may be making one today. It's my favorite and your recipe looks great! The title... well something I'd expect from you.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:38 PM

Love to cook
Last week I cooked for our annual Golf outing, 80 plus dinners.
I make home made Pastrami every year, really helps bring them in.
Our profit for the day was $5,200.00. Good food helps.

I cook a number of salmon dishes. One original recipe is salmon strudel
with Riesling sauce. I cooked at a German club every other weekend
for the past five years. The Germans say my Sauerbraten is the best.
Great dish for a Festool Fest. Then there is Metzel soup.
German ladies love Salmon in dill sauce.

If any one needs a recipe and can't get it on the web let me know, I have
a wall of cook books.
Bob
Old 08-11-2008, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Do you cook?

Bob:

My father was born in Berlin and my mother in Pretoria, S.A.

Growing as kids here we were as poor as dirt. So as an experienced German food cook (you not me) I would love to know if the following dishes might have a root in German cooking or were they just a result of making ends meet.

Meals were on a pretty regular schedule but here are some

Rolada - The best of the bunch - I make it regularly and have had to cook it for 100 at a time by demand. Basically beef cut thinly. Insert a strip of bacon, mustard, a pickle spear. Roll it up, secure with tooth picks, brown and then braise/cook in liquid until tender.

By the way, for those who could possibly stand the thought of a cooked pickle, I will post a recipe along with variations from my brothers who also had to go thru the cooking ritual only if requested. I have realistically given the recipe to dozens of people. With later thanks.

Scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes with a mustard sauce, spinach, and pickled beets - For us kids the race was always on to keep the potatoes from changing a color from something on you plate. It may have been nutricious, but talk about technicolor.

Any thoughts?

My guess is #1 yes, #2 HE__ no.

Peter