talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 02:02 PM

Default A great way to start the day

Just watched this twice, a great presentation and even greater information. A nice offset to the doom and gloom stuff that seems to be the "flavor of the day" in most media. It gives a new meaning to the phrase "long term perspective"

Enjoy

Jay
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-14-2010, 03:03 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor
Default Re: A great way to start the day

Thanks, Jay - what a wonderful way to spread some cheer!

(And I think force directed graphs are FASCINATING)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

What fun! I should get him to lecture in my courses. Or at least get that graphic generator for my classroom. Pretty inspiring!

It was nice to see that even the African countries showed longer life spans and an increase in wealth. I wonder whether or how the wealth was normalized? Were 1800's dollars the same as 2000 dollars?
Old 12-14-2010, 03:43 PM

I'm sure that there could be a lot of nit picking about the statistics but in the end I think that most would agree that the results were "directionally correct"
Old 12-14-2010, 03:47 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Peter, I would think force directed graph applications could be HUGELY useful in your field... especially when you need to present complex theories or findings to non-scientists (or, for that matter, EVEN to scientists).

Aside from the appealing visuals, what I love most about them is that the data are interactive as well as "magnetic." This allows you to immediately SEE changes directly made to particular data AND immediately see how those changes affect all the other data.

There are several programs for writing the applets. Lots of people use Processing, which is open source and extremely well documented - it also has a javascript version. I'm seeing some great thesis projects here....
Old 12-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Fascinating. Thanks,Jay.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for that link, Laurie. This could be fun!
Old 12-14-2010, 05:34 PM

Rosling has spoken at TED 7 times. All very worth watching.
TED | Search
Old 12-14-2010, 06:15 PM

There aren't many times or situations in which I in my eremitical life miss, truly miss, the manifold interactions of society, the frustrations of academic life, the stressful demands of corporate life.

This is one such time and situation. I used to dream of being able to present data in this fashion. To be able to present material in such a personal way that, as Hans Rosling does, one almost moves in and manipulates it by hand. To be able to show three-dimensions of data in an effective two-dimensional fashion (time is the third dimension). I have, in my minds eye, presented four dimensions in a three-axis cube...

it is a true pleasure for me to have watched the presentation. You note I approve of the medium more than the message - without a better understanding of his $ numbers I cannot comment on their substance. That, though, is not my point.

Thank you for that find!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:19 PM

If you want to play......................

Gapminder: Unveiling the beauty of statistics for a fact based world view. - Gapminder.org