talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2010, 07:26 PM

Location: Born and raised in Omaha,NE. Trying to scratch out a living doing fine art in the midwest.
Default Re: Whoa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
This raises some very interesting questions -- Did you injure yourself (often?) on your old table saw? Do you believe that you may take more risk on the SawStop knowing it won't hurt you? Do you use other power tools (saws, routers, etc.) in your work?
I understand there are other companies negotiating to use the SawStop technology on bandsaws.
I predict that litigations against machine manufacturers will require (in the not so distant future) that ALL powered cutting machines use the technology.
I have had 2 accidents with table saws both as a result of kickback, masonite slipping under the fence and then cutting some thin strips. The 1st was in 1986 long before Sawstop and my fix was a Beisemeier fence and the yellow wheels, the 2nd fix was a contractors Sawstop and a Rockler thin strip jig.. I find I am more careful with the other power tools because it is either the "safe" tool or it isn't, is on my mind. I don't think in what I do the technology on a bandsaw is worth the expense but if I worked in a meat packing plant where the saw is on an assembly line then heck yeah.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-10-2010, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Whoa!

I don't think it would work on meat, it can't cut a hot dog.
We have one of the first Sawstops. I blew a cartridge cutting a new zero clearance insert because I didn't remove the splitter. They sent a new blade and cartridge. Sent the old blade out for a new tooth, came back good as new.
I am extra careful cause I'm cheap.
It's a jewel of a saw.

Last edited by BobSwenson; 11-10-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!