talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2008, 10:55 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Festool Junkie Festool Fest Aug. 30th.

Gentlemen & Gentleladies, I am back ensconced in my lovely home with my teensy weensy puppies. The Timster, again, the freakin dude who got ME up at 5:15 A stinkin M said now call when you get home so I know you have arrived safely. So, like a diligent and oh so respectful "junkie" I call. But who to my wondering ears replies but the little wierd kid as he is affectionately known. Now many of you, like myself, may be saying but WHY would Sammy be answering the phone at 3:00 something on Sunday afternoon? Well as the sad case may be, TimmyC was worn to a very small nub by us big out of towners and was sawing lumber. : rofl:
And again just because I am an ever so obedient and subservient type, I too will be sawing lumber shortly so sadly I must bid you all adieu as I follow my fearless leaders example.

The final word on this is that I will post many pics whenever I get up be it tonight or tomorrow. So, I am afraid you must do without until then. Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-01-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
I vote for a more central location, like Los Angeles.
Go with a neutral site like Vancouver, BC Canada. Of course, you'll have to by from Hafele if you want some duty free Festool's

Dan Clermont
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Dan - I'm totally with you on that! I'd love another excuse to go to Vancouver. Or, heck - Victoria. Maybe we could pool our tools, and go and work on the Olympic facilities. Guest workers, and all.

Yes, that Hafele connection is a problem. Maybe we can just ship TimmyC up, so he can show them how it's done!
Old 09-01-2008, 05:26 PM
A Festool User First

Send a message via AIM to TimmyC Send a message via Yahoo to TimmyC Send a message via Skype™ to TimmyC

Amongst the highlights of the show was the Dan Clark Carrot Cake. The lovely Darlene had a sign out and everything. "Momma" did a wonderful job with all the guest...and I am truly grateful for her work as well.

Friday evening we had all the out-of-towners over to our place for Nebraska Meat. I don't have a lot of shots of the event due to my grillin' and chillin' attitude, but I believe Mr. W and Mr. M got some action photos that night.

The lovely wife of mine did get this shot for posterity's sake:

Post #6 on the Do you cook thread.

Thanks Dan! The cake was awesome....my boys asked..."OK, so mom got this recipe off a Festool Forum???

t
Old 09-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Perfect Little Angel

Hey everyone. We of course had a great time at the fest and sure wish more of you could have made it.

The People: All the folks we've met through this here forum are sure top notch. You pretty much already know that but, when you meet them and sit back and talk with them for a few hours, it sure get's confirmed. It was definitely a pleasure getting to spend time with RW (even though earlier in this thread I think he called me a virtual a-hole ), Fred, Hergy, DWyatt, Mark, and of course Steve and Brian of Festool. Timmy C, his wonderful wife Darlene, and boys were a bright spot as well. I already had a sense that Timmy was a great person from emails and the few phone call's we've had. He really is a great person and has built up a wonderful family, business, and group of friends. I can't say enough about him, it's just something you'd have to experience. I will in his defense to head off all the joking and mean things people say about him, that he is in no way short. I bet he's in the upper 5% height range. I don't know what the average height is but I've rarely ever seen a midget as tall as him. He's so on the edge that I think they are probably thinking about kicking him out of their "little" group.

The Festool's: Boy were there tools! I have never been to a place that had so many. Very well stocked and everything out to be Demo'd. To have the Sr. VP of sales Steve, their very funny and talented Brian, and Rep. Craig there to show off and discuss the tools with us was great. They are all such great people to go along with the great product they represent. I hope Fred did a good job documenting all the little helpful tips learned during the demo. Some of the things were just stupid little stuff that you don't think much about like holding your stock up next to one of the pins on the Domino to see if it's centered. The pin center is the bit center so duh, you can do a quick check that way. I didn't take many pictures even though I had planned to since there was video rolling and Fred and Timmy taking pictures too. I wasn't at a very good angle as I wanted the other folks in attendance to get a better look.

The Shop: The shop was much more than I ever thought it would be. I knew they had Festools and Timmy had sent me some pictures of the hardwood they carried but it's much more than that. It's a nice sized place that had about 90% of what anyone could ask for. I had no idea how many products they carried. I've been making out individual orders from places to get this and that. Here's a small list of things that I remember them having.

• Walko, The 3 was on display as the 4 has not made it in yet. I would think the 3 would be a good weight and fit for most folks but we work with 4x8 goods out in the field so I think the 4 would be more appropriate. We will be getting one of these as soon as they hit our shores. Very good build quality and design. It's easy to use, the bamboo tables are great and we'll have many uses for it when it comes. This is sure to be a hot item and I hope Timmy can keep up with demand on this.
  • Jet
  • Powermatic
  • Festool and about every accessory in stock
  • Webb sandpaper and sanding accessories
  • Rockler affiliate store (that was a shocker) so they have many items stocked and can quickly get everything you can get at Rockler
  • Fastcap
  • Grex
  • Fein and all their accessories
I keep thinking how much I'd love to have a place like that in my home town and then I just say, why? I can now get all that stuff with one phone call or email. It doesn't get any better than that. RW got a box for Annette and we just went around grabbing and sticking stuff in in for him to ship to us on Tuesday. Timmy once you clean up from some of the mess we made coming through you should post a few pictures of the place.

The Experience: Our whole trip was just great and much better than expected. We flew into Omaha on Friday afternoon, where RW was waiting to pick us up. We then went on over to the shop for a little while to meet up with some folks that were already gathered there. After a bit we all headed over to the Colwell's beautiful house where they welcomed us in and fixed us an awesome dinner. Timmy on the BBQ with some awesome steaks, nice fixin's and Darlene even made Dan's Carrot Cake for us! mmm, mmm... They were gracious hosts and it couldn't have been nicer. You should see how great the neighborhood is with all the wonderful houses and huge tree's everywhere, quite a sight. Saturday was Festool Fest day so we hung out at the shop all day until about 3:30 or so. We went back to Timmy and Darlene's to relax and chat before the big game. It was the first College Game that Annette and I have ever attended. We've never seen so many people, not to mention so much "red" in one place! There were over 84,000 people at this opening game and Nebraska cleaned their clocks 44-27. It was a lot of fun to experience the game with Tim's family and the Festool guys. Everyone had a blast and yes Brian did wear the hat all during the game and after. He's a trooper.

This should definately turn in to something. Whether it's an annual event or even more frequent so that others can mesh it into their schedules. It's too much fun to not do again. We sure wish we could have spent a little more time with everyone but would really look forward to being invited back to another one.

Last edited by ChrisM; 09-02-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:30 PM

Chris,
Sounds like you guys had a blast! I really wanted to make it there and was bummed not to be able to do so. So post your pictures ....
As far as the Colwell's go I have been lucky enough to meet Tim, his wife and boys too, they are a special family, and Tim will always go the extra mile to help anybody .... Great guy.

So Fred, Chris I know you guys have lots of pictures get posting them!
and I hope someone has pictures of the Nerf gun fight !
Old 09-01-2008, 07:49 PM
A Festool User First

Send a message via AIM to TimmyC Send a message via Yahoo to TimmyC Send a message via Skype™ to TimmyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWhite View Post
Chris,
Sounds like you guys had a blast! I really wanted to make it there and was bummed not to be able to do so. So post your pictures ....
As far as the Colwell's go I have been lucky enough to meet Tim, his wife and boys too, they are a special family, and Tim will always go the extra mile to help anybody .... Great guy.

So Fred, Chris I know you guys have lots of pictures get posting them!
and I hope someone has pictures of the Nerf gun fight !
Darlene sent a couple...hopefully there are more out there.

Little Innocent Steve on the couch saying..."What, not me, I would never do that....see how innocent I am?

If truth be told, he was not that innocent in the Nerf exchange, and more than likely initiated the whole thing. Sammy had a ball....

Then Mr. Mercado got in the game with the "Ball Bazooka."

Then Fred gets in the game, encouraged by "the little weird kid" on the couch with the loaded "nerf dart gun"....don't let his little innocent face fool you either!

No eyes were put out, but there were some hefty exchanges I tell ya!

t
Old 09-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Founding Member

Unfortunately I do not have any pics of the Nerf Gun Fight but I was involved. Alright already quit your moanin and groanin here are some pics. The first pic you may or may not recognize the ever so stealthy TimmyC leaning against his grill. The second pic is Timmy schmoozing with Steve "Runs with the Gooses" from FestoolUSA. The third pic is Timmy's partner in crime Mark using higher mathematicalls on the new fangled compooter to calcumalate all of my purchases. The fourth pic is some cake that Timmy's wife Darlene found the recipe for on the web somewhere that strangely enough turned out to be quite yummy. The fifth pic is FestoolUSA trainer extraordanaire Brian Sedgely showing a potential consumer how to hold his fingers in the downward position. The sixth pic is Brian cutting 8/4 white oak AFTER cutting a huge block of Lignum Vitae. Both cuts were smooth as glass. However, he missed his fingers so we don't know all of the potential. The last cut is Brian showing off his dance moves from his exotic dancing the night before while sanding. What a show.

More pics to follow later.

Fred
Attached Thumbnails
festool-junkie-festool-fest-aug-30th-img_0071.jpg   festool-junkie-festool-fest-aug-30th-img_0069.jpg   festool-junkie-festool-fest-aug-30th-img_0067.jpg   festool-junkie-festool-fest-aug-30th-img_0082.jpg   festool-junkie-festool-fest-aug-30th-img_0084.jpg  

festool-junkie-festool-fest-aug-30th-img_0091.jpg   festool-junkie-festool-fest-aug-30th-img_0094.jpg  
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 09-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Founding Member

I hope you guys enjoyed the cake. The recipe is around 20 years old with fine tuning since then. Before I met my honey in 1993, I'd get invitations to parties that read something like, "Dan bring your carrot cake! You can come too."

Dan.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:04 AM

Hey!
I dun sed the flyin Mercados wuz bright folk!!!