2) reliable
3) dryer can be gas or electric
4) less than $1000 each
5) stackable might be nice, but not necessary
6) they don't have to match, though it would be cool
7) reliable
8) they need to work really well
9) reliable

Anyone have any thoughts? I've checked out Consumer Reports, but I was wondering if you had personal experience. I was looking at a GE set, but the dryer seems to be unreliable (GE D/W CVH680...). LG is a possibility...
Old 07-26-2009, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Need washer and dryer advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I'm going to be in the market for a new washer and dryer. My criteria are:

1) front loading (both of them)
2) reliable
4) less than $1000 each
7) reliable
9) reliable

Anyone have any thoughts? I've checked out Consumer Reports, but I was wondering if you had personal experience. I was looking at a GE set, but the dryer seems to be unreliable (GE D/W CVH680...). LG is a possibility...
Peter,

We have the Whirlpool, Duet front-loader for about a year now.
It works great, would never go back to a top loader after this.
Ours is whisper quiet, reliable and cost about 600 something a yearish ago.

We had a Maytag Atlantis dryer that was only a year old at the time we got the washer,,,, so we didn't switch that at the time.
So now we have two mismatched front loaders.

by the way the dryer is gas,,,,, much preferred!

,,,,,,,r

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-26-2009, 12:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to BobMarino

We just got the LG on my bil's recomendation and it are happy with it. Agree with Roger, I would never go back to a top load again.

Bob
Old 07-26-2009, 12:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

We've got the Sear's Kenmores at both places. Sherry would never go back to the top loader. If we had gas (handliy) available, I'd have probably switched for the dryer(s), particularly out in the garage (Oceanside). Proper venting might be a bigger issue in terms of efficiency.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSavatteri View Post

We have the Whirlpool, Duet front-loader for about a year now.
It works great, would never go back to a top loader after this.
Ours is whisper quiet, reliable and cost about 600 something a yearish ago.
We got the Kenmore (Sears) Elites about a year ago. Made by Whirlpool and nearly identical to the Duets. Gas dryer.

I agree with what everybody is saying. We love these machines. We'll never back to top loaders.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Founding Member

Peter,

We have the Whirlpool Duet combo (gas dryer) about four years ago. I believe the washer is made in Germany, with the dryer made in the US.

They work great, especially the washer. When the washer starts, about the only thing you can hear is the clothes flopping in the drum. I.e. essentially no motor noise.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:07 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

This week I've been challenging myself to see what I could do with one arm. I decided to put shelves over and around the area occupied by my 30 year old Whirlpool washer and dryer.

In the process I moved them over to fit the corner better and re-leveled them so they're even (30 years ago I only had time for a quick and dirty install). Now they make a platform nearly good enough for a axillary workstation.

In the process a lot of debris ended up in the top load washer, which has had it's pump replaced once. I think both appliances where less than $300 each back then.

My mother taught me that when it comes to appliances simpler is better. If you think about it washers and dryers really don't have to do anything complicated so do they really need a computer and an information display panel etc? The fewer the options the fewer the problems.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Perfect Little Angel

Peter,

Our druthers go along the line with others on the Whirpool/Kitchenaid stuff. The Kenmore stuff is generally good and manufactured some by Whirlpool as well as others. The reason we never advise people to get Kenmore is because you are stuck with Sears for servicing. Since they aren't a rock steady company I wouldn't want to shell out much for that product and possibly get stuck later on. We had the Duets and they worked great. There are several models, including the ones you can get at Costco which are called the sport and are smaller. People seem to like the steam option on the newer ones too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I'm going to be in the market for a new washer and dryer. My criteria are:

1) front loading (both of them)
2) reliable
4) less than $1000 each
7) reliable
9) reliable

Old 07-26-2009, 03:49 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
Peter,

Our druthers go along the line with others on the Whirpool/Kitchenaid stuff. The Kenmore stuff is generally good and manufactured some by Whirlpool as well as others. The reason we never advise people to get Kenmore is because you are stuck with Sears for servicing. Since they aren't a rock steady company I wouldn't want to shell out much for that product and possibly get stuck later on. We had the Duets and they worked great. There are several models, including the ones you can get at Costco which are called the sport and are smaller. People seem to like the steam option on the newer ones too.
Ooh, that's one new-fangled feature I would like to have! I have to make do by putting the article and a wet towel in the dryer (gas fired).
Old 07-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post

If you think about it washers and dryers really don't have to do anything complicated so do they really need a computer and an information display panel etc? The fewer the options the fewer the problems.
One of the things the computer does on these new front loaders is determine the exact amount of water needed for the load. A big water saver. Plus, there are many selectable options that save a lot of energy.

Think green!