talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Default Another Festool small world story

Yesterday I attended a birthday party for a neighbor who was turning 35. There were lots of 17 month-old toddlers there (my neighbor's son's play group) and their parents. I began chatting with one of the moms, who it turns out was from Germany. I asked her what her American husband does, and she said he works for Hilti. I told her how much I admired the high quality of German engineering, and that I had a fair collection of Festools. At first she looked at me as though I was joking. I assured her I wasn't.

Turns out she grew up in the town outside Stuttgart where Festools are made. She used to work at Festo during the summers! At that point I bowed at her feet, of course. She said she'd be happy to bring back "little Festool things" from Germany the next time she went. I tried not to drool openly.

Her husband said that he'd chosen to work at Hilti because of their high quality of engineering - he wanted to work at a company whose products he was proud of. I didn't ask for free samples, but presumably he saw the pleading look on my face...

So --- quite the birthday party!
Old 05-25-2009, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Another Festool small world story

Its a small world we live in
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:10 PM

Wow, Poto, some how you manage to step in it just wandering around the neighborhood. How is the guy with the Festool garage.
Don't tell Fred but we are big on Hilti. Hilti laser Range meter. Two Hilti lasers,
awesome Hammer drill, a great sheet rock screw gun, back up terrorist (pin um to the wall) 22 cal cartridge gun, Hilti saw, T shirts, caps, Other stuff.
The laser range meter measures up to 600 feet and accurate enough to do molding and studs. Climb up the ladder, pop it against the wall, push the button, cut the crown spot on. How great is that.

CK---- welcome aboard
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

That's quite an amazing Hilti collection, Bob! That laser sounds like you could use it to blind terrorists at 600 ft, too. If I ever run into that couple again, I'll try to score you some Hilti swag, too.

That guy with the garage full of Festools recently bought a refurbished Ford Model A, that now takes up most of his garage. I haven't seen him woodworking since last year (come to think of it, I haven't seen myself woodworking since last year either). Maybe now's the time for my covert Festool-freeing operation...

Welcome, CK! We look forward to your joining the fray!