talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 11:08 PM

Default Weekend away from the shop

It was LOML's birthday so we took a short trip up to Winter Park Fl to celebrate.

A hidden gem is the Morse Museum, repository of the largest collection of Tiffany Glass in the world

They also have an Arts and Craft movement collection and there were some wonderful examples of Stickley's work among others.

Sorry, no cameras allowed but here's a link to the website

The Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art houses the world's most comprehensive collection of the works of Louis Comfort Tiffany

If you find yourself in the Orlando area and don't want to do the theme parks, this is a wonderful little area to visit, lots of shops galleries and great restaurants.

Jay
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-10-2009, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Weekend away from the shop

Jay, I have never understood the mentality of the people who make the no camera rule.
Stickley farm is in here in Parsippany, NJ. It is run by the township and staffed with self appointed craftsmen experts that can explain what a dovetail joint is and the can't even drive a nail. You are not allowed to take pictures for some stupid reason.

This is not a problem in the Met or the Louvre, why in some dumb little museum.
Bob
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-10-2009, 04:09 PM

Couldn't agree more Bob, it is a stupid rule, although I can understand the "no flash" rule when it comes to preserving light sensitive stuff.

Jay
Old 05-10-2009, 05:27 PM

Perhaps "no flash" is part of the reason in many places. I'll bet less than 5% of the folks with point and shoot cameras know how to turn the flash off.

Also if you take your own photos you won't buy them in the gift shop and for many smaller places that sale may be a very important income source.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:01 AM

And the answer to the no camera rule........

is a lipstick camera in a baseball cap masked with a "big eye in the front" or a bunch buttons stiched to the front,
& a wireless feed to a switch in the pocket.
(after some training you would know how to tilt the cap to the object desired)

have I done this yet .............no.

but I always think of it as I try to quickly snap shots inconspicuously in similiar situations.
(the trick here is to shut off all sound effects of "clicking")

r.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Several years ago I went to the Georgia O'Keefe home in Abique, NM, which is run by "Art Nazis" who won't let you in without a reservation, then charge $20 and no photography. Not an enjoyable experience.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959