talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2009, 02:49 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re: Need help: my car's clear coat is...

Peter, before you call "Car Talk," I can tell you what the tappet brothers would say: " Sell the car! Make sure you only show it in a rainstorm. Then only to a far-sighted guy after you step on his reading glasses!"

:anim_63: :anim_63:

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-02-2009, 03:05 AM

you could always sneak it in my work, and I will slip it in the booth, and nobody would ever know! I think white is my favorite color now. I have rarely seen a clear coat on white, the ones we run do not except the pearl mica color (which is the color of our van), it is a three stage paint job, four if you are counting primer coat.

Anyway my truck is white, and rarely gets washed, but usually looks clean.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-02-2009, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator

Wonderwino, here's the thing: the Car Talk guys (who I love!) had a caller with exactly the same problem. The guy told them that he'd been told he'd have to get his car repainted. The Car Talk guys said that was b.s., and told him about a product that you could put on to stop the problem.

Based on all the responses here and on other forums, it sounds like they were wrong...

So yes - I'm thinking sell the car fast!

Anyone want a green Mazda Protege 2001 with 53000 miles on it (it's the model with the alloy wheels and larger engine)?
Old 05-02-2009, 03:19 AM

I've always been told when you polish a turd.......

Seriously though, something could be done, but it would be temporary. If it was fixed before it broke through the clear, it wouldn't of been as bad. Say if it was just the roof, that part could be repainted, and color could be closely matched, and probably would be fine until the hood started doing it!
Old 05-02-2009, 04:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

So yes - I'm thinking sell the car fast!

Anyone want a green Mazda Protege 2001 with 53000 miles on it (it's the model with the alloy wheels and larger engine)?
I think all here agree that the most practical thing to do is have it repainted. It doesn't really cost that much compared to the substantial cost of a new car.

However, the most patriotic thing to do, Peter, is trade that stodgy old Japanese car in on a brand new American made Lemon Yellow Corvette.

Enjoy! It's for the good of our country!
Old 05-02-2009, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Wonderwino, here's the thing: the Car Talk guys (who I love!) had a caller with exactly the same problem. The guy told them that he'd been told he'd have to get his car repainted. The Car Talk guys said that was b.s., and told him about a product that you could put on to stop the problem.
Hey,

Concerning the roof,

I think i heard the same show.

I seem to recall the product was a can of 3m 77 Spray Adhesive.

Oh yeah, and a roll of black vinyl.

......r