talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 03:55 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to charimon
Default Re: Anyone seen this?

I think his purpose is 1. build it because he can. which is a sufficient reason in itself. 2. It is handy for ripping down misc stock, ( base, casing, window mullions), that doesn't easily set under a guide rail. 3 Transporting a sys 1 for the one or two rips that he needs a table saw for is a lot easier than storing and dragging out even a small bench top saw.

He posted this as I was exploring installing router inserts in mft's my self http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/creati...ft-router.html the reason. I want a more powerful (in scope) mobile shop.

If Festool based systems are going to catch on for professional site work. Then professional guys need to see the value of the total system to their bottom line. Most of the successful craftsmen already have their work habits set. Most trim carpenters / cabinet guys I know "need" some sort of table saw on sight. Thus a table saw option will help sell the system as a whole.

Just some thots
Craig

Last edited by charimon; 04-22-2009 at 03:58 AM. Reason: we dont have a thot coherency checker yet
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-22-2009, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

I have no problems with what he's done, and I think he did it particularly well. It's just that Festool has already done it - for saws, routers, jig saws and sanders. The sad thing is, they're not available here (Rick probably has them). They're also pretty expensive. But impressive engineering, nonetheless.

One of the things I really like about the TS55 is the fact that the blade goes down. Table saws terrify me. Sure I've used them lots, but I feel far more comfortable with the TS55 than a table saw. Luckily, I'm not a professional, so it's not critical that I accomplish my tasks quickly. Makes a big difference. If I were in production mode, I have a contractor's saw, or hybrid saw of some sort, I'd guess.

I think your point is well taken about a craftsman needing to take his shop to the site. And I think this is a great fix. But just not for me.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:55 AM

It looks pretty cool, but do you think it would hold its settings well (fence to blade ) in an on-site environment, after all that's what this would be used for right? The trigger strap is a bit cheesy too, but gets the job done.
It's smartly thought out, and good luck to the bloke
Cheers!
Okami
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-25-2009, 03:02 PM

Steve, the guy that made this fixture is going to start selling these things once he reaches 12 pre-orders. Check it out on TOF for more info.