talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 01:40 AM

Default ? about pricing

Hello, This may have been discused allready. I really like the festools. However,why are the prices all the same? Everything in my life that I have ever purchased has been shoped around dealers looked over,service Depts etc... Yet everyone seems to pay the same price? Saturn cars tried that, we all know where thats going. Im 49 years old, my methods and jigs have served me well. The festools remind me of AEG tools. Im not sure the expense of saying I use these tools is worth the full retail price. The wife bought a corvette, shoped it till she found a good deal. To me, as Dad says never buy at the first place you look. He advises me to look elsewhere. He means differant tools. He tells me that kind of arogance will yield nothing. Or am I just looking at this wrong. Please advise. Timothy.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-12-2009, 01:42 AM

Default Re: ? about pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by unityroad View Post
Hello, This may have been discused allready. I really like the festools. However,why are the prices all the same? Everything in my life that I have ever purchased has been shoped around dealers looked over,service Depts etc... Yet everyone seems to pay the same price? Saturn cars tried that, we all know where thats going. Im 49 years old, my methods and jigs have served me well. The festools remind me of AEG tools. Im not sure the expense of saying I use these tools is worth the full retail price. The wife bought a corvette, shoped it till she found a good deal. To me, as Dad says never buy at the first place you look. He advises me to look elsewhere. He means differant tools. He tells me that kind of arogance will yield nothing. Or am I just looking at this wrong. Please advise. Timothy.
"Its hard To Get Out Of a Rutt When You Are Making Them"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-12-2009, 01:57 AM

Festool certainly did not invent the fixed pricing scheme. A lot of high quality items/manufacturers have fixed pricing and/or no discount policies.

You will greatly appreciate this aspect of Festool products if you ever decide to sell one. Just look at the prices they bring on Ebay or anywhere else you can find them.

BTW, if you want the absolute rock bottom price. Look for online dealers who offer free shipping and no sales tax.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:41 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to charimon

Hmm

You are touching upon the very philosophical essence of Festool. One price. One container. One Cord. Crud MY dream has been shattered and as Meatloaf said "2 out of 3 ain't Bad".

Festool is an integrated system with each part bringing more that in it self to the whole. Router's use the Rail that goes with the saw. then clamps for the rail work in the Table. the vacuum holds the cases. The more you have the more valuable each component becomes (there are exceptions like the FS - PS or is it KS they even named it wrong). It is my belief that the system offers a unique value to the user, such that, those of us who have bought into the system believe it to be worth the hard earned penny's spent. For instance the rail stops that come with the Saw are designed to stop the router at the center of the mandrel seamlessly. Almost everything they do is a great solution and is surprisingly free of "group think"/"Paradigm paralysis" Rip guides not with standing.

Now it seems I am pointing out flaws. but besides the fact that my ts 55 likes to fall off its rail when it's 45 deg bevel, there is nothing to complain about (these are Minor issues). This is all the complaints i have for the entire system . Would you like to hear the complaints that I have about my Raimondi Gladiator rail saw...I don't have time to list em, and it is a great saw...

The point is there is no better system on the market. I don't think any other tool company thinks this way!!! They are concerned about individual products. Or Worse taking a product and making it worse to conform to a new livery.... the Porter Cable trim router getting a round top so it can look like the rest of De Walt's line up. Festool commands a price and the dealers go along with it because they are Fundamentally different, in a metaphysical sort of way

More rambling on a Saturday nite

Craig Happy EASTER

Last edited by charimon; 04-12-2009 at 02:55 AM. Reason: I cant Spell
Old 04-12-2009, 06:28 AM

I believe that it is a European philosophy. Not good - not bad - just is. The reason I say that is because another of my expensive hobbies is salt water aquariums. Several firms have great products, they are all from Europe, and they all make dealers sign an agreement to charge what the manufacturer wants them to charge - or they won't get product.

I would venture a guess that part of the reckoning is that if their prices were to be discounted by some and not others, then there could either be a perceived llack of quality or an unfair business advantage created.

This system tends to reward those who try to sell the products and give good customer service.

My thoughts,

Peter
Old 04-12-2009, 07:22 AM

I'm new and just got my Festool dealership going on line , still work to do.
But, the point is that we at the dogtrot are doing something that no other dealer does I think, giving back. please check out the site and it will tell you more. Plus we have build a showroom like you have never seen, so we invite you to come up and see.

Now in my shop I do let you take the tools for a test drive , plus maybe a
horse ride too.

Geoff @ Dogtrot General Store: custom milled lumber, cypress, sinker cypress, pecky cypress, antique pine, worm-wood, antique oak and chestnut, exotic lumber

Hope this is ok to post here , cause I have not found any line for dealer yet.
Attached Thumbnails
about-pricing-snapshot_365.jpg  
Old 04-12-2009, 07:34 AM

Welcome to the forum Geoff. No problem posting here. You might want to introduce yourself and the store in the "Meet the Members" section also.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:32 AM

Unityroad, it's still worth shopping around, it's just that with fixed pricing you can now shop based on the other things the dealer can offer you. Find the shop where they hire knowledgeable people who can actually help you, for instance.

Fixed pricing prevents the "race to the bottom" that happens at, for instance, the big box stores, where the prices are cheap, but the staff isn't even good for helping you find stuff within the store.