talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 03:47 AM

Default Old tools and old men

My great-grandfather on my mother's side, William Martin, was a carpenter and blacksmith by trade. He also really loved his bourbon. I wasn't old enough to remember him but have been told alot about him and I'm told I take after him. Blue eyes and a shiny head, not the bourbon part.

The remnants of his tools eventually were passed down to me a few years ago. Here's a couple of his wooden planes that have survived the decades. I'd like to restore them to the point of being functional and take a few cuts with them someday just as a way to hello to him through the etheric plane and honor his memory. Anyone one else have some old tools or tales of this ilk they'd like to share?
Attached Thumbnails
old-tools-old-men-old-plane-1.jpg   old-tools-old-men-old-plane-2.jpg  
Old 07-30-2008, 01:28 PM

Mornin Darrin

Feeling Deja vu
My Father gave me his father's Rabone combo square. Unfortunately My grandfather died when I was a baby.
The square isn't a user, it's way bent and out of square, but it proudly has a space in one of my work bench drawers, with all the users
Rabone & Sons of Birmingham, England made some fine steel rulers and combo squares.
Rabone aren't in business these days
old-tools-old-men-9780.jpg像 9780.jpg
Views:	973
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	116

Rabone & sons and J Chestermans of sheffield, merged and created "Rabone chesterman" in 1963.
J Chesterman also has a very long history (from the 1820's)
Just out of interest Chesterman produced and patented the first spring tape measure.

Unfortunately Rabone Chesterman was bought by Stanley, and thus you can still buy a stanley rabone square today (but nowhere near as good as the original Rabones).
Cheers :P
Okami

Last edited by Okami; 07-31-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!