talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 01:53 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Found: 1 shop

Sherry and I returned from a great trip north (Bakersfield and Porterville) to visit with ChrisM (and Annette) and MichaelKellough. We toured a Henry Greene designed and built home in Porterville on Saturday morning joined by RogerSavatteri and his wife, Debby. We had a great day, but it was followed by a marathon drive (I swear it takes 3 days to get through LA) back to San Diego to retrieve our Cocker Spaniel and then home to Oceanside.

Picked up the mail to find a letter from the HOA regarding parking practices. I'd been dreading this for some time, because my truck won't fit in the garage here. The rules say that it has to. They also included some verbiage about storage in the garage. Now we've been able to squeeze two cars in with all the tools, but I got the distinct impression that the next issue raised might have something to do with the tools and noise. I’ve been walking on eggshells about noise. I haven’t run the planer and have been using other tools for really brief stints.
What an opportunity! This afternoon we were able to lease a space a short distance from the house. It’s 800 sq. ft. of future shop heaven. Well, perhaps not shop heaven (it’s rough), but it has power and some lights that work. A roll-up door that allows my truck to fit inside with the ants and spiders. I’ll start on the insects tomorrow along with figuring out how to clean the place up a bit.
I’m late on my projects for school, so the first priority will be to move enough tools to the shop to get the projects built. After that, scrubbing and paint can take place. Life is good………..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-28-2009, 02:08 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Storage space

Congratulations, Mike, I'm glad you were able to find something.

Just don't take as long as me to get it set up.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

This sounds good, Mike. Congrats on finding a place. Hope the homeowner nazis get off your back...
Old 04-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Boy am I glad I live out here on the prairie! The only complaints I get are from the neighborhood cats when I fail to feed them.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Here in L.A. the vacancy rate for these types of spaces is going up, and the landlords are getting a little desperate. Recently, our building manager rented a space (in the center of the building) to some sort of school that set up the whole thing as a reading room. They put in wall to wall carpeting throughout, with large library tables.

Our building has twenty-nine units with a twin building facing us across the parking lot. It is mostly populated by machines shops, a few cabinet shops, one guy with an impressive car and motorcyle collection, (and me ).

During the day, all these shops can generate a lot of noise, although after being there for a while you do not notice it. This school started complaining immediately after moving in that their students couldn't concentrate because of all the noise. The building manager actually went around and asked all the other tenants if they could run their machines quieter, or run the noisiest ones at night, when the school was closed.

After being told to go straight to hell by vitually everyone, he decided to pay the school's cost to move somewhere else. Even a total idiot should have seen that problem coming, but somehow it never occurred to either the building manager, or the owner of the school. One was only looking at filling a space, and the other was only looking at the cheaper rent of an industrial park.