talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Sam Maloof Home & Shop! tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Dan, I don't know how to break this to you, but yesterday (when we were at Sam Maloof's) was a Saturday. At least, here in the states...

But yes, Saskatoon. Apparently four of us have been there. I lived in Regina for 5 years, and my sister lived in Saskatoon for almost a decade. She's not there anymore, and has never mentioned that she missed it...
Guess I overslept! LOL!

Dan Clermont
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-06-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecofurniture View Post
Hey wait a second I have freaking cycled across Canada, I know Saskatoon quite well--not that I liked it..... But I have been there So be fair to your best customer
LOL!!! I sure hope you had the wind at your back when you cycled across the prairies.

I grew up in a small town on the prairies (3 hours south of Saskatoon - using the gravel grid roads). We loved going to the city for a weekend. The novelty of having more then two channels AND being able to dial a number to have a pizza delivered were highlights!!!

Dan Clermont
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
I have never been to Saskatoon.

Great job on the Maloof tour review guys, wish I was there.

Now, lets plan that trip to Saskatoon eh?

Mirko
Okay, so now I'm starting to plan the trip to Saskatoon. How about June 6th? That's a Saturday. Work for everyone?

Old 04-06-2009, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Are you sure it's a Saturday in Canada, Mike?

And I think summer in Saskatoon is somewhere between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm on August 3rd...
Old 04-06-2009, 02:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Quote:
Are you sure it's a Saturday in Canada, Mike?

And I think summer in Saskatoon is somewhere between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm on August 3rd...
I just assumed that summer would be too warm for most of us.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Hey John: I forgot to get my Pinot Noir!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post

I'll be in San Diego in a couple of weeks, I'll be SURE you get it then. Maybe I'll bring two, and we'll share one.
Peter, here's a little preview of what we'll be pouring.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2007 Oceans Ghost.pdf (67.9 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by joraft; 04-06-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:

... so basically nobody looked like I imagined them from their posts on tF. But what an amazingly nice group of people!

I felt the same way. As friendly and interesting as the people here seem, it only gets better when you meet them in person.

And we all owe Mike Chandler a big thanks for putting this trip together. Going in such a big group allowed us to do far more than we would have ever been allowed to do on our own.

I posted some pictures earlier in this thread, mostly of the grounds of the estate. They were taken by a man I don't know (I did give him credit), I just found them in another forum. They were so good that I didn't bother to try to duplicate them (as well as being too busy on the inside). You'll notice that his best view of Sam's shop was through the window. That's because that was as close as he was allowed to get

We were given all the rules about what we could and couldn't do when we got there, but as the tour went on those rules got loosened quite a bit. Not only were we allowed to go in and wander around in the shop, we were given permission to take all the photos we wanted. I also understand that touring through the wood sheds and the finishing room is unusual. And most of all, I'll bet few people get invited to sit in Sam's living room and chat with him.

I believe we got such special treatment because of the size of our group, and our obvious passion for woodworking. When we first met our tour guide (really nice guy) I asked him if he was a woodworker, and he told me that he spends all his free time in his garage/shop. When I told him that we were a group of avid Festoolians his eyes lit up, and he said that he has been drooling over Festools for years, and some day hope to own several. I told him how to find our forum, so he may just show up here.

My point to all this is that as a group of well-mannered Festoolians, far more doors seem to open to us than as individuals. I hope we can take many more similar trips together, and maybe even increase the size of the crowd.

Last edited by joraft; 04-06-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, so I have to say this: it was really disappointing meeting John (Joraft). First, he clearly overestimates the size of his buttical area. I mean, geez, he could fit in the same chair as Sam Maloof. And Sam's smaller than me!

Second (and this is the really big one), either John's been lying about his age, or he's the best-preserved old person I've ever met! He didn't look more than a few years older than me, and I'm (apparently) a young whippersnapper. Why is this disappointing? Because I've worked and wheedled to get myself written into John's will to inherit all his tools (many of which will likely be unused). But there's no way I'll ever outlive him! What a waste of my effort! Geez, John...
Old 04-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:

... He didn't look more than a few years older than me, and I'm (apparently) a young whippersnapper. Why is this disappointing? Because I've worked and wheedled to get myself written into John's will to inherit all his tools (many of which will likely be unused). But there's no way I'll ever outlive him! What a waste of my effort! Geez, John...
Thanks for the unwarranted compliments, Peter. But there's no need to butter me up, I'm already bringing your wine.

And I can assure you that all my tools are well used, at least the ones that are connected to electricity. Okay, so far that's only the stereo and the refrigerator, but THOSE are certainly well used.

And my new drill doesn't need electricity:

Last edited by joraft; 04-09-2009 at 11:05 PM.