talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Sam Maloof Home & Shop! tour

As we were getting our books signed, I mentioned to Sam that I wished he was signing a chair for me to take home (but since he's now getting $30,000-$40,000 each, and there's a 5 year waiting list, that's highly unlikely).

I then asked him if I could buy some wood, have him to sign it, and build my own chair. All I got was a cold stare in response. I guess he didn't think it was funny.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

back row:

Mike Chandler, ????, Wife of ???? (awfully nice person!), Chris Mercado (with sling), Annette - Chris's wife, ????, special guest appearance Michael Kellough!!!!, John Raftery (see what I mean?), Kit Camp, Eiji Fuller, Peter Franks

Sitting: Tim Mahoney, and .... Sam (the god) Maloof!!!

back row:

Mike Chandler, Mike's friends Tom and Claudia (awfully nice person!), Chris Mercado (with sling), Annette - Chris's wife, ????, special guest appearance Michael Kellough!!!!, John Raftery (see what I mean?), Kit Camp, Eiji Fuller, Peter Franks

Okay, that leaves only one ????. Anyone?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:57 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Joraft,
I have watched those Sam Maloof videos that you posted more than once and all that I can say is that I am in awe! What an amazing craftsman and artisan he is. I certainly need to try to adjust my perspective to woodworking/furniture making. I'm all about precision and accuracy which I guess has been one of my atractions to Festools. 90% of Mr. Maloof's work is by eye and as he says a lot of expensive precision tools just aren't needed. His work is his proof.
I'm on the East coast so the tour just wasn't possible for me but I would like to hear tons of you guy's impressions & stories about it.
What a great treasure to have that man in our time and again I very much appreciate you posting the videos.

Ron
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post

I have watched those Sam Maloof videos that you posted more than once and all that I can say is that I am in awe!

... again I very much appreciate you posting the videos.
Ron, happy to do it. I ran across those videos a few weeks ago, I should have posted a link sooner.

I have downloaded them, and I have also watched them several times. It helped me to get a better understanding of the man before our visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post

What an amazing craftsman and artisan he is. I certainly need to try to adjust my perspective to woodworking/furniture making. I'm all about precision and accuracy which I guess has been one of my atractions to Festools. 90% of Mr. Maloof's work is by eye and as he says a lot of expensive precision tools just aren't needed. His work is his proof.

Sam has three assistants who have been training with him for a long time (I think the longest is 25 years). He calls these guys his "boys" (they will inherit equal shares of the business when Sam passes).

During our chat with him, Sam said he never let's his boys cut freehand on the bandsaw like he does, it's just too dangerous. He has trained them to cut and shape all pieces by hand. I asked him if it was so dangerous, why did he still do it that way (he's been cut many times). He said "because he's got to get the pieces finished and out the door, he doesn't have enough time to spend weeks on each one."

He also told us that he still does the final assembly of every piece. Each piece is signed by him, and he says he will never allow anything to be signed with his name that he didn't assemble personally.

That got me to thinking, when Sam passes there will never be another piece signed with his name, never again. If they're worth $40,000 now, what will they be worth then?

Last edited by joraft; 04-06-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:

The amazing thing about it - besides its beauty - was that everyone who sat in it - everyone - said it fit them perfectly! I don't know how that's possible, but John Raftery sat in it right after me (my butt's slightly skinnier than his), and the look of joy on his face as he sat down made it clear that it worked for him. And I can tell you that it was perfect for me. Heck - I had to try it twice!
This is amazing but true. All chairs are made to fit Sam's dimensions, but they seem to fit everybody.

Quote:

... (my butt's slightly skinnier than his)
Now there's an understatement! Poto could probably fit in just one leg of my pants.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Okay - I'm on a roll, so I might as well keep going. For the tours we were broken up into two groups. The other group got to chat with the Maloofs before our group. As we came into the Maloof's living room to meet Sam, I saw Eiji on his hands an knees looking at the joinery of one of Sam's bookcases (right in front of Sam). I didn't hear the conversation, but Eiji told me afterwards that he had asked Sam how he could account for wood movement if he put screws through his tabletops and other large panels. Sam said that he didn't worry about that silly stuff. "Just make sure that your wood's dry before you start."

Silly me.

And his furniture's held together for 50 or more years. Must be something to that.

On the other hand, all this furniture's in SoCal. I wonder what happens when it goes to, say, Oregon? Or Saskatoon?
Poto,

You and I are probably the only two guys who have been to Saskatoon! Well, maybe Mirko as well.

Looks like allot of fun. Wish it cold have been on a Saturday or Sunday and I may have been able to make it.

Cheers
Dan Clermont
Old 04-05-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClermont View Post
Poto,

You and I are probably the only two guys who have been to Saskatoon! Well, maybe Mirko as well.

Looks like allot of fun. Wish it cold have been on a Saturday or Sunday and I may have been able to make it.

Cheers
Dan Clermont

Hey wait a second I have freaking cycled across Canada, I know Saskatoon quite well--not that I liked it..... But I have been there So be fair to your best customer
Old 04-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClermont View Post
Poto,

Cheers
Dan Clermont
Dan, I don't know how to break this to you, but yesterday (when we were at Sam Maloof's) was a Saturday. At least, here in the states...

But yes, Saskatoon. Apparently four of us have been there. I lived in Regina for 5 years, and my sister lived in Saskatoon for almost a decade. She's not there anymore, and has never mentioned that she missed it...
Old 04-06-2009, 12:40 AM
Perfect Little Angel

Sorry it's taken so long to respond but I've been baby sitting. The unknown is my Uncle Bill (our driver for the day). He's not a woodworker, but really enjoyed the entire experience. Well I've got to get back out there before he breaks something!

Chris...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
back row:

Mike Chandler, Mike's friends Tom and Claudia (awfully nice person!), Chris Mercado (with sling), Annette - Chris's wife, ????, special guest appearance Michael Kellough!!!!, John Raftery (see what I mean?), Kit Camp, Eiji Fuller, Peter Franks

Okay, that leaves only one ????. Anyone?
Old 04-06-2009, 12:58 AM

I have never been to Saskatoon.

Great job on the Maloof tour review guys, wish I was there.

Now, lets plan that trip to Saskatoon eh?

Mirko