talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Inactive Member

Default Re: Granite Gloat

Well the CT Mini showed up and I brought it over to my sister's farm yesterday and wanted to look at the granite while the temperature was reasonable. While we were chatting in the barn, she said that she didn't really have a use for any of this stuff, so I could take all of it if I wanted.

Since I would have to pick through all of the pallets to find matching colors anyway, I decided that I would take all of it.

So far I have only pulled the snow off of 2 pallets, but I have never seen such cool looking grain in granite that this stuff has. For example, on most black granite you see, there are these iridescent crystals that are about 1/4 inch in size. On this stuff, these crystals are over 1 inch. There is another type that has these really unusual pink smudges that look really cool.

It is a wide variety of colors and grain types, so the first thing I need to do is sort it by color as I unload it.

I wasn't planning on taking it right now, but decided to take one load with me since it was unusually warm yesterday (44 degrees). I took less than 1/3 of all of the pieces, and my truck's suspension was down on the overloads. As I was pulling my loaded truck into the garage, I had this sudden ominous thought fly through my head, "How bad am I going to get injured when the truck falls into the basement?"

I am not looking forward to it, but I will try to get the truck unloaded this afternoon. I'll wash the pieces down and take inventory of the first load.

The downside to this is that the pieces are smaller than what I was expecting. I think some of the pallets that are still buried in the snow have larger pieces, but the ones I loaded were only 2 feet by 1-1/2 feet.

Because some of these pieces are incredibly unique, they would be perfect for making end tables, and I could knock these out pretty quickly.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-01-2009, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Granite Gloat

Are you telling us you're really considering getting your tools dirty?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!