talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2008, 12:51 AM

Default My new hobby: Collecting viruses

My computor had not been running well recently and I have been "playing" at being a computer tech. This has been a major part of my absence from tF. A couple of hardware issues which I actually was able to fix.

But somewhere in my muddling I managed to compromise my internet security and the nasty things invaded and I ended up with a mess.

I decided to install new system protection and went with Kaspersky but ended up not being able to activate it due to all the hexes, curses and evil eyes I had invited in.

Common sense eventually took over and I brought in the experts and they were able to disinfect my rectangular box's innards. So on that front everything is fine. My computer's CPU (He calls himself Kenny) has threatened to take over my organic processing unit if ever attempt to enter his world again. No need I said, we are five by five.

However, not one to give up easily on anything, I was not done collecting viruses. But so as not to incur the wrath of Kenny I must have subconsciously allowed my immune system to become compromised and added to my collection. Today, dear ol' Dr. L stated I was the owner of my very own herpes zoster collection.

Flipping Shingles!!!

As I type this and deperately try to avoid scratching myself in oblivion my thoughts drift to the idea that I should have picked a different hobby.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: My new hobby: Collecting viruses

Oh man, Darrin. I'm so sorry, and sympathetic on both counts. I've never had shingles, but I hear they suck big time. Very painful. Perhaps even more frustrating than a computer virus.

So is this what you guys in Grand Island NE do for fun in the winter?

BTW, I looked up Grand Island on Google Earth, to try to get a sense of what a grand island looked like in Nebraska. I'm still stumped. It looked like perhaps a river, and a couple of state highways. But nothing very island like. Can you (or your herpes-infested computer) enlighten me?
Old 12-27-2008, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I had to go to Grand Island for a meeting about 15 years ago. My buddy and I spent several hours in the Library one evening. Nice atmosphere and stiff drinks. Is it still open?

:happy0167::happy0167:

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-27-2008, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Oh man, Darrin. I'm so sorry, and sympathetic on both counts. I've never had shingles, but I hear they suck big time. Very painful. Perhaps even more frustrating than a computer virus.

So is this what you guys in Grand Island NE do for fun in the winter?

BTW, I looked up Grand Island on Google Earth, to try to get a sense of what a grand island looked like in Nebraska. I'm still stumped. It looked like perhaps a river, and a couple of state highways. But nothing very island like. Can you (or your herpes-infested computer) enlighten me?

Peter,

Thankfully, no pain to speak of. Very, very itchy but it comes and goes. Got my anti-viral meds started so hopefully on the road to recovery. I do have to wear a big sign around my neck though to warm people who have not had chicken pox to run away from me as fast as they are able.

I've lived in GI, as we call it here, since 1991 and have only an inkling of why it was named. It's the fault of the French. For your reading pleasure I lifted this off the city web page as it explains it much better than I can and if you read very carefully it also explains my affliction.

"In the mid 1800’s, an idea came to light to develop a city in Central Nebraska. This city would be situated along the Platte River Road, and the first settlers hoped that the central location of this city would be ideal for the relocation of the nation’s capital from Washington D.C. This dream was of course, never became reality.

In 1857, an expedition of 35 people set out from Davenport, Iowa, consisting of German immigrants. A banking house called Chubb Brothers and Barrows, of Davenport supported the group. They were instructed to choose their settlement’s location within an area named by French Fur Traders as “La Grande Island”, an island in the Platte River. In 1857, the group of settlers began their journey, arrived at their destination and began their settlement on July 4, 1857. By September, log houses had been constructed from ash, elm and cottonwood timber.

During the next nine years, these early settlers experienced great hardships common to this region of Nebraska, including blizzard conditions, shingles, and conflicts with the region’s Native American population. The settlement did not experience conflict within their territory, but the Sioux and Pawnee Indians engaged in heavy battle on the island, and left fear in the hearts of early Grand Island residents."

Darrin
Old 12-27-2008, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
I had to go to Grand Island for a meeting about 15 years ago. My buddy and I spent several hours in the Library one evening. Nice atmosphere and stiff drinks. Is it still open?

:happy0167::happy0167:
Yes indeed, the Library is still open. Just off Hwy 281 on ST. Patrick Ave. The last time I was there was probably about the same time you were there.

Good food as I recall but unfortunately I could not imbibe in any wine or spirits on my visit.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:43 AM

Darrin
We all missed your presence here sorry to hear about your puter, Gods speed on your recovery, I found the RO 150 FEQ with Rubin 60 grit the ideal tool to scratch those troublesome itches ( In rotary mode of course )
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-27-2008, 02:50 PM

Not to gross ya out Colin but 60 Cristal has actually been used to remove a frustrating wart from a thumb. It hurts only briefly.

Darin, glad you are still above the ground, so to speak. Much sympathy. A little empathy. I'm allergic to my own skin, but I seriously doubt that it compares at all with shingles.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWyatt View Post
...I've lived in GI, as we call it here,...
So, uh, a housing subdivision there would be called the "GI tract"?

OK, it wasn't that funny...

Ned
Old 12-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

And a cul de sac would be an appendix?
Old 12-27-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWhite View Post
Darrin
We all missed your presence here sorry to hear about your puter, Gods speed on your recovery, I found the RO 150 FEQ with Rubin 60 grit the ideal tool to scratch those troublesome itches ( In rotary mode of course )

Of COURSE Festool has a tool for that!

re: your pc virus, I recommend, use, and install for clients AVG anti virus software. It's free for personal use.

The software solution is really PHASE TWO.

The MOST IMPORTANT thing you can do is to ensure that your computer isn't connected directly to your cable modem (CSU/DSU).

Be sure to install a router between the cable modem and your computer.

If you need help with setup, just shout.

Michael

AVG Free - Download AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition for Windows XP and Vista