talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Founding Member

Default My little German Shepherd Girl

Last Sunday turned into one of my more terrible days of late. In the last couple of weeks my little shepherd girl Kelly began attacking Triscuit my eight year old Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. Kelly outweighs hims by 25 pounds and apparently has been in much more pain then I even knew. Seven months ago when she was spayed the vet took x-rays for me and we saw horrible dysplasia. I had regularly been giving her Glucosamine & Condroitin treats night and day as well as Rimadyl for pain but it was not enough.

Twice she went after Triscuit for no apparent reason whatsoever and it took a tremendous effort to get her off of him. In each of those cases she had not hurt him as his fur is so thick. But I had to really knock her around to get her off. Sunday she attacked again only this time she got through the fur and he had a fairly big puncture. I cleaned that up, gave him an antibiotic and was going to take him to the Vet's on Monday. She tried one more time but I stopped her right off the bat. Later that afternoon at 5:00 I was taking them all out when Kelly broke once more and knocked me over to the point where I landed on my face. I could not break her off of him for anything. Twice I had both of them in the air but still could not separate them. I ended up putting my right hand in her mouth and also received a bit of a bad bite on my middle finger which ended up with five stitches. However, at least I was finally able to pry her off him.

Triscuit was badly laid open from the left side of his neck down to the shoulder. I put Kelly in her cage and rushed Triscuit to the emergency animal hospital where they operated on him and put four drains in him. He was never in danger of dying but was really hurt. I felt so badly for him but could not understand why Kelly would do this.

Even though I truly was doing everything I could to Kelly including hitting her extremely hard, trying to stop her breathing through her nose, etc. she never turned on me. Infact in each case she was licking me and trying so hard to make up to me as she knew just how angry I was. However, my bite was the third one and though every single one was explainable I knew I did not have a choice in my course of action. I called the GSD Rescue League and told them her story and they said they would never be able to place her and in fact would not try. I kn ow without question that had I been able to keep her without Triscuit being here she would have been fine and then I could have gotten the surgery for her and hopefully gotten rid of her pain. However because my daughter just loves Triscuit, I could not keep Kelly and so after again consulting with the Vet I had her put down at 3:00 pm Monday. She fought to the end and I almost had to lie on top of her and still she never struck out at me.

I cannot begin to tell you how much I loved that little girl nor how much she loved me. My two big boys are missing her terribly as am I. She trusted me and I killed her. I am having an absolutely terrible time with what I did though I still do not see any other choice. She did nothing wrong except for having a genetic condition that caused her terrible pain. I miss her so much.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-25-2008, 11:07 PM

Default Re: My little German Shepherd Girl

I'm so sorry for you Fred! I know how close we become to our pets, they are part of the family. I'm not sure what to say, other than my heart goes out to you. Hopefully staying busy with some of your new carving tools will help keep you distracted somewhat.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:10 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky977 View Post
I'm so sorry for you Fred! I know how close we become to our pets, they are part of the family. I'm not sure what to say, other than my heart goes out to you. Hopefully staying busy with some of your new carving tools will help keep you distracted somewhat.
Sparky,

Thank you very much for your thoughts.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-25-2008, 11:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Fred,

I'm truly sorry for you and your family. My wife and I have had to deal with choosing a time for our pets and it never feels right (even though we know it's time). My heart goes out to you. As they say, time is the only thing that helps..........

Rest assured you did the right thing.

Mike
Old 12-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post
She trusted me and I killed her.
We have created dogs to trust us, and in exchange we have obligations to the dog tribe.

Yes, you killed her, but that was the responsible action. No malice, no neglect. You were caring for her, and any other action in those circumstances would have been letting her down.

I hope Triscuit heals quickly.

Ned
Old 12-25-2008, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Fred, I am so, so sorry. Dogs, like people, have personalities, and you can only mold them so much. For some reason Kelly was fixated on Triscuit, and given the circumstances, your solution was probably the only one. I'm sure you did the right thing, even though it was a terribly hard decision.

I'm still all red-eyed and snotty-nosed from having just watched "Marley and Me". Sort of makes you want to make sure that dog owners get some training before getting a dog. But as we both know, you can't really predict the dog's personality quirks. Like wanting to eat other dogs.

Wally sends big therapy hugs, and furry commiseration. He understands.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:59 PM

Fred,
I feel your pain through your writing, but remember the right decision is never the easiest. I hope this does not weigh on your mind for too long, you did what you needed to do...... My thoughts are with you.....

Colin
Old 12-26-2008, 12:41 AM

I'm so sorry to hear the horrible news, my dogs are like my children. I do think you did the right thing you never know when a dog will turn on a family member. I have had to put down a perfectly dog because he bit two of the neighbor kids that teased him.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:04 AM

Fred,sorry you had to do this to your little girl.
I have 2 gsd (male and female) and i hope i never have to do some like that.They are part of the family.
Attached Thumbnails
my-little-german-shepherd-girl-p9301124.jpg  
Old 12-26-2008, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Fred, I'm sorry to hear about your dogs. That's a terrible prelude to Christmas. I hope Triscuit heals quickly. I'm sure he'll show you the love you deserve for saving his life.

We lost our house cat to a coyote attack several years ago. The pain of losing a pet will heal with time.

-Alex

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959