talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2008, 04:35 AM

Default Re: My little German Shepherd Girl

Fred,

I am so sorry to hear about Kelly and Triscuit. What a heart wrenching ordeal for all of you. My head tells me you made the right decision but my heart just aches for you having to do that.

Darrin
Old 12-26-2008, 05:28 AM
Founding Member

Thank you all for your wonderful thoughts and condolences. I know that I did the right thing but I am still second guessing myself and to me the worst part is just how much she trusted and loved me. Logically, intellectually I am there but emotionally I am a wreck and missing that little girl so much. My two big guys are also having a terrible time missing Kelly and just kind of wander around looking for her.

Thank you again,

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-26-2008, 05:54 AM

Hi Fred,

I'm so sorry to hear about Your loss...it must have been a terrible ordeal.
My thoughts are with You from across the miles.
Like other talk festoolians have said, time is a healer.
Take care
Okami
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Inactive Member

I want to say that I feel your pain, but I know that I cannot. I can relate to your pain, and I can put myself in your position very easily, but it is not the same. Rather than trying to explain how and why I might understand how you feel, I will leave it alone and simply say that your story really touched me.............
Old 12-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Administrator

My God, Fred, I feel so bad for you. Your story brought tears to my eyes, partly because I had to do the same thing a few years ago.

I second guessed myself for a long time, and that was a big mistake because it only prolonged the pain.

If it wasn't the right thing to do, you would have never been able to make the difficult decision you did. Don't dwell on the sad way it had to end, but on the wonderful life you were able to give Kelly. Most dogs are not that lucky.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:24 AM

Hi Fred,

I'm so sorry that you had to go through this with Kelly. I'm not sure if you know this but aggression can be a key side effect of Rimadyl. I've posted on my blog about this as I had to put my own dog down after he was on Rimadyl.

Side Effects of Rimadyl | The Dog Arthritis Resource

I understand your feelings of guilt and sadness. It will take some time. Hopefully, in time you will see that Kelly was suffering and she is now in a better place. I beat myself up for almost 2 years, but since posting on my blog, I've felt some sort of closure for putting my own dog down. I totally understand how you feel.

I hope Triscuit recovers soon.

G. Daddi
Old 12-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Founding Member

Fred,

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. Our puppies and kitties are close to our hearts. Even when they get older and sick, they are still our puppies and kitties. You know that you did the right thing, but when you do it, it's like tearing out part of your heart.

After reading GengDaddi's post about Rimadyl, I did some research...

It sounds like your vet should have warned you about Rimadyl. I found Dog Arthritis and Rimadyl (Carprofen) Information From Pfizer. Did he give you a "Client Information Sheet"? (The Senior Dogs Project)

That said, since your little girl was in much pain from bad hip dysplasia, it sounds like she didn't have much to look forward to except for pain or bad side effects from pain medication. I understand that you feel like you killed her, but she was already dying from the pain and drugs.

You did the right and humane thing for her by having her put to sleep. As much pain as this causes you, please remember that you eased her pain. She thanks you for that.

Best regards,

Dan.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:31 AM

Sorry to hear that Fred. When I was young (about 8), I seen one of my dogs right after it got hit by a car. I was really upset, and really to this day I have no desire for another pet. I believe you did the right thing though as others have stated, and if you need anything, let me know.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Founding Member

Guys,

I cannot thank you enough for the incredible support as well as info. GengDaddi and Dan thank you so much for the info on the Rimadyl as well. Dan, no I did not receive a Client Information sheet.

John and Rob, I am so sorry for opening old wounds in each of you. It was very insensitive of me to post this and I never intended for anyone else to hurt as well.

Okami and Rick, your words of comfort touched me very deeply and I thank you so much.

My other three pups and me are slowly starting to settle into our new reality. The two big boys are beginning to regain their playfulness and Triscuit's wounds and drain sites are healing quite well. The stinking hospital did a very poor job on my finger but it too is starting to kind of close.

Thank you all again and please accept my apologies to those of you whose old wounds were once more opened.

It constantly amazes me how generous you all are with your thoughts, deeds and actions.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 12-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post
Thank you all again and please accept my apologies to those of you whose old wounds were once more opened.
Our wounds are what make us human. But think of it this way - it wouldn't be much of a wound if we didn't lose something that we valued a lot. And that helps us focus on what is valuable.

Your post reminded me of what I have to be thankful for. In other words, you have nothing to apologize for.

Regards,

Dan.