talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2008, 09:34 AM

Default Re: How much snow do you have?!?

Yep, live in Chicago..Pipes froze Sunday.....Thawed them slowly and the GE whole house water filter shattered....Water ran all over for a few hours.

2 days before Thanksgiving...Deep well pump went out. Got a 5K-7K estimates for a 300ft deep pump......3 days, a rig using electric harbor freight winch, about 2k later we had water. Hardest parts were tracking well parts in Chicago and Suburbs and freezing your butt off working with water in the cold. Know the feel of busting you knuckles in cold weather while doing auto mechanic work, that what it felt like.

Long and short of it..damn glad 2008 is almost over!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Well - hopefully that's the worst of it, and the rest of the year (and next year) will be a significant improvement!

Plus, it'll be a great story for the grandkids...
Old 12-30-2008, 07:46 AM

Not much snow here, only about 15" on the ground. It is cool though. The high today was about -12. Coming home from a party about an hour ago the bank sign said -23. Time for longjohns:sdrool:
Tom
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-14-2009, 04:29 PM

Well after getting rid of the last load of snow the next lot arrived here, Monday and its been snowing on and off ever since, around here we have about 8 to 10 inches on the ground and day time temps are around 8 dipping to below 0 on the nights. I am trying my best to combat the global cooling trend with my wood stove working hard to keep us toasty.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:41 PM
Administrator

It's been 85 deg. and blue skies here all week, and I'm getting tired of it.

I mean, just how much time can a guy spend sitting around the pool sipping on frothy Margaritas. Same ol', same ol' every day. It's getting really boring.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

I'm with you, John. I was walking on the beach yesterday, and it was almost unpleasant having to step around all the naked sunbathers... Oh, how I wish for the freezing cold of my homeland!

NOT!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 06:45 PM

I'm going kayaking today

Had a great time out!

Last edited by ecofurniture; 01-15-2009 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Back from kayaking!
Old 01-15-2009, 04:02 PM

OK guys I'm jealous, last night it got down to -18 according to my thermometer and today it has not warmed up much, right now its sitting at -9
add some wind chill to that. BRRRRRRRR