talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 11:55 PM

Default Go shopping today?

I avoided it like the plague. Suspect I am happier for it.
Online is looking better every year. Anyone catch this snippet (if you have a yahoo mail account you may have . . .)
Wal-Mart worker dies after shoppers knock him down - Yahoo! News
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-29-2008, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Go shopping today?

Even during non-holiday times I avoid it with every ounce of my being. If I have to go at Christmas time I know what I want and I get in and get out as soon as possible.

A couple of weeks ago my parents came to visit and Mom wanted to go to "the mall". Once through the doors I was ready to leave in about 45 seconds.

The Wal-Mart death (mass manslaughter??) is a very sad commentary about our society.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:33 AM

I'm like you guys, I avoid shopping period, but today I avoid going into town for anything. The roads are just as bad as the malls.

The worst part is the stores and roads will be hectic from now until Xmas.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-29-2008, 12:38 AM

It's a very sad time when a bargain is more important than a man's life.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:20 AM

I took my 16 month old daughter shopping for Mommy's Christmas present tonight. Hadn't really planned on it tonight, but other plans fell through, so figured it was as good a time as any. I was actually surprised, it wasn't as stressful as I had expected. I guess we missed the major headaches of the early rush this morning.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:04 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

I went out shopping on Black Friday about 25 years ago. Never again.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

My wife, daughter and I were out shopping today. Surprisingly busy in the mall, though not much traffic on the streets. Perhaps nobody was actually buying anything. I didn't see any trampled bodies (maybe they'd cleaned them up already?), but we did our part to help the economy. Bought a Wusthof knife, a Rabbit wine bottle opener, some Ugg boots for the little girl, and a reflective leash for the dog. Hopefully America appreciates our efforts!

It's 11:30 now, and I'm recovering with some single malt, watching trashy scifi. 'Tis the season!
Old 11-29-2008, 02:09 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
My wife, daughter and I were out shopping today. Surprisingly busy in the mall, though not much traffic on the streets. Perhaps nobody was actually buying anything. I didn't see any trampled bodies (maybe they'd cleaned them up already?), but we did our part to help the economy. Bought a Wusthof knife, a Rabbit wine bottle opener, some Ugg boots for the little girl, and a reflective leash for the dog. Hopefully America appreciates our efforts!

It's 11:30 now, and I'm recovering with some single malt, watching trashy scifi. 'Tis the season!
I don't know...as far as I can tell the only thing made in America is the "trashy scifi", and you got that for free.

Sorry about that Peter. I gave it a little thought and realized that more than half of what you paid does stay here, no matter where the stuff was made, so on behalf of the global economy, thanks for the nudge.

Last edited by MichaelKellough; 11-29-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for noticing, Michael. I purposely made it apparent that a lot of the stuff I bought was not made in the US. But clearly the stores were happy to have my business - I got the knife at 20% off, and the Rabbit at 25% off. The store (a mom-and-pop operation) must be hurting to have such a good sale so far before Christmas. I was glad to see that they were busy. I'm always happy to support a small business over a bigger one (this place vs. Williams Sonoma, for instance). I think it's good for diversity.

On the upside, I have bought two Lie-Nielsen planes and three DMT stones recently. All Made in America!

And expensive...
Old 11-29-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Thanks for noticing, Michael. I purposely made it apparent that a lot of the stuff I bought was not made in the US. But clearly the stores were happy to have my business - I got the knife at 20% off, and the Rabbit at 25% off. The store (a mom-and-pop operation) must be hurting to have such a good sale so far before Christmas. I was glad to see that they were busy. I'm always happy to support a small business over a bigger one (this place vs. Williams Sonoma, for instance). I think it's good for diversity.

On the upside, I have bought two Lie-Nielsen planes and three DMT stones recently. All Made in America!

And expensive...
Didn't know that Lie-Nielson were made in America! One more reason for me to keep lusting after them. I may have to buy some soon, as I may have a table to build for a client.