talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Inactive Member

Default Hey Chris, I got your Bird Right Here!

With an outdoor cooking center like yours, I trust you must have rotisseried the bird this year. Shame on you if you didn't. But just in case you didn't, here is how beautiful they come out. I already pulled out the drip pan (which was filled with water for making steam) and there are almost no drippings from the bird in there--they are all still locked inside the skin of the bird. This thing is so juicy that every time I stick a thermometer in it, it squirts juice at me.

Long gone is the huge cherry log I placed over the burners for smoke. It was big enough that it wouldn't burn outright, but smoldered for about 3 hours before vanishing. I have about 5 minutes before I need to get this thing off the grill, so I thought I would post this to whet your appetite. Last year I did this with too big of a bird and had to use a C12 drill to help the rotisserie motor, but still fried the rotisserie any way. The bird is much smaller this year, but I still have to remove the grates to clear it when rotating......gotta run.

Eat Well.
Attached Thumbnails
hey-chris-i-got-your-bird-bird.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-28-2008, 12:04 AM

Default Re: Hey Chris, I got your Bird Right Here!

I tried to rotisserie a bird one year. I didn't have any string to tie up the wings, and legs, so I used masonary string (didn't work well), then I thought I would just do it on the grill in a pan, we didn't have one. So, I figured that I would place the bird directly on the grill, and put it on the lowest setting, run to Wal-mart, buy a disposable pan, then come back.

I don't know what happened while I was gone, but when I got back, I had black soot all up the side of my house, and I raised the grill cover to find it was mostly dust. The legs I was worried about being tied up was literally dust.

So now I stick to deep frying, or just let my wife cook it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-28-2008, 12:57 AM
Inactive Member

Oh My God, this came out to be one of the best birds I have ever made. It had incredible flavor and moistness. I have never before been able to get a good smoke flavor throughout a piece, but this cherry log worked excellent, and the whole bird had a sweet smoke flavor. (The log was 1-1/2 inches thick by 16 inches long, so it was not the scarce little bits you drop into a smoker.) I had also injected about 2-1/2 sticks of butter and seasoning into the bird before I cooked it, and this was just the right amount of flavor deeeep into the meat. I don't normally like either chicken or turkey, but man-alive, this was good this year.!!!!!

Time for a nap. :LateNiteTiredImage:
Old 11-28-2008, 01:13 AM

My step dad is a BBQ nut. He swears by his mystical concoctions and I noticed that he stands the bird up and shoves an empty beer can up it's tailfeathers. Of course, its not empty, that's the concoction in there, and it boils off and permeates things as it cooks.
He do make a good dead bird.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeber View Post
My step dad is a BBQ nut. He swears by his mystical concoctions and I noticed that he stands the bird up and shoves an empty beer can up it's tailfeathers. Of course, its not empty, that's the concoction in there, and it boils off and permeates things as it cooks.
He do make a good dead bird.
Okay, so my first post here will be nothing to do with Festool. HA! But I just had to say, I just got home about half an hour ago from filling up on Turkey and all the trimmings, and that bird you have pictured there is still making my mouth water!
Old 11-28-2008, 02:47 AM

Send a message via MSN to Garry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky977 View Post
Okay, so my first post here will be nothing to do with Festool. HA! But I just had to say, I just got home about half an hour ago from filling up on Turkey and all the trimmings, and that bird you have pictured there is still making my mouth water!
Don't worry about that. I've been here for a while, and I've only seen 5 posts actually about Festool, and every last one of those got led off course at some point. This board is very "organic".
Old 11-28-2008, 03:32 AM

Garry
Talkfestool is indeed a Festool forum and I would go as far as to say just about any question you have about Festools can be answered here, there are many members who frequent this forum who I would consider experts in their own right. A common interest brings us together here and many strong friendships have been formed and talkfestool seems to have evolved into a social club for people interested in Festools, this was a total surprise to me but not an unpleasant one , that said social club or not there is someone here that knows the answer to your Festool questions and will be more than willing to answer them for you. Above all talkfestool is driven by its members, the way it evolves is mainly down to you the members, myself and the other admins and mods try not to interfere and censor either your posts or the direction of the conversations unless it is absolutely necessary, I guess in reality what I am trying to say is whats talked about here is what the members want to talk about, be it chit chat or hard core festool talk, as long as everyone enjoys themselves and continues to come back talkfestool is a success IMHO...

Colin
Old 11-28-2008, 05:05 AM
Inactive Member

Pay Attention People!!! This thread was Festool related from the get-go! Just because you guys can't stay on-task doesn't mean the rest of us can't. I am ALWAYS thinking Festool, even on Turkey Day, which is why I reached for my trusty C12 last year to help overcome the limitations of my rotisserie motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickChristopherson View Post
Last year I did this with too big of a bird and had to use a C12 drill to help the rotisserie motor, but still fried the rotisserie any way.
Next year I plan on using my PSB300 with an extended razor blade to carve the thing.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:42 AM

Send a message via MSN to Garry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWhite View Post
Garry
Talkfestool is indeed a Festool forum and I would go as far as to say just about any question you have about Festools can be answered here, there are many members who frequent this forum who I would consider experts in their own right. A common interest brings us together here and many strong friendships have been formed and talkfestool seems to have evolved into a social club for people interested in Festools, this was a total surprise to me but not an unpleasant one , that said social club or not there is someone here that knows the answer to your Festool questions and will be more than willing to answer them for you. Above all talkfestool is driven by its members, the way it evolves is mainly down to you the members, myself and the other admins and mods try not to interfere and censor either your posts or the direction of the conversations unless it is absolutely necessary, I guess in reality what I am trying to say is whats talked about here is what the members want to talk about, be it chit chat or hard core festool talk, as long as everyone enjoys themselves and continues to come back talkfestool is a success IMHO...

Colin
Colin,

My comment was made ENTIRELY in jest. I've had some very involved answers to simple questions from this board, and my main reason for joining was due to so many of the members of this forum were so helpful in the other forum, but are no longer there for whatever reasons.

One of the things I enjoy about this forum is how free flowing ideas are, whether directly festool related, or just plain humor.

So please, PLEASE, unpucker.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:37 AM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
So please, PLEASE, unpucker.
Yup, you're right....unpucker!!!

But consider this.....If a tight-ass like me can freely unpucker over here, then by god, anyone can unpucker with ease. I think this is simply what Collin was trying to say.

If you know my reputation, then obviously you also know that I have freely "unpuckered" over here!!!! You sure as heck wouldn't find a frivolous posting like this from me anywhere else!!!!