Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Would you pay for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
It just comes out of the intertubes...

On the cherry room install, was any of the finishing done on site? Did you have plenty of scribe margin built-in or did you have to add fillers?
Jay, Thank you very much.

Michael, none of the finishing is done on the jobsite except for any needed touch ups. We always build in plenty of extra for scribing and in addition make and finish extra fillers, scribe strips etc. I do not remember a time that we cut short in the shop and had an issue on site.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Fred - that set of cherry built-ins is positively stunning! I particularly like the way you guys did the windows, with the arches and carving. It must be a really amazing room to walk into. It's clear even from the small pictures that you two have amazing attention to detail: the perfect alignment of the cabinet doors, the mouldings, the proportions of the cases. Beautiful, beautiful job. You can work on my house any time!

P.S. Bring all your tools. And try to remember to forget some when you leave...
Petaro,

Thank you for your very kind compliments. We very much pride ourselves exactly on the touches you mentioned. However, I must say, this is still just a built-in. Granted fairly high level for a built-in but it is in my mind not up to snuff in so many items that all of you build. Yes, we have to scribe and plumb and level but I think our heirloom quality work is more the equivalent of what most of you do.

There are truly some first class woodworkers on this board and my hat is off to all of you.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-29-2008, 04:55 AM

Beautiful work Fred!

No matter how many times I see it, I still can never understand how shoddy work like in your first couple examples is just accepted so often! Its one of the reasons that I am building custom cabinets. I've installed so many that were complete and utter junk, it made me sick. And the money that people pay for junk is ridiculous too!
I have a feeling, well, maybe its more of a hope, that with the current economic situation, people will start looking for quality and value again. Maybe that bit of good can come out of all this. Or maybe I just keep telling myself that as I am trying to make a living out of doing quality work in a state that is in total economic collapse (Michigan). . .
Old 12-01-2008, 08:34 PM

Nice work Fred! The earlier microwave picture cracked me up. Although I probably wouldn't of done it much better, at least I have Festools to do it .
Old 12-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Don't flatter yourself, Rob. Even with Festools, it would take a great deal of skill to do such a crappy job as Fred showed. With your obvious woodworking talents, my guess is that you'd need to be several cases of beer into an alcoholic stupor to pull something that bad off! Even then, I'm not sure you'd manage it. (Plus, you'd leave less dust...)
Old 12-01-2008, 09:20 PM

Thanks Poto! I would of just bought an irregular shaped microwave, and said "I meant to do that".
Old 12-02-2008, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

I wonder if your microwave door would open and shut?
Old 12-02-2008, 02:05 PM

easier to clean that way!