talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2008, 02:01 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Find the Facts

See how good an eye witness you'd be by taking this test.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-08-2008, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Find the Facts

Interesting, though in statistics, they'd certainly call that skewed results, since you hear it, test about it, and then READ the exact same thing.

I think people in general pay far more attention to generalizations of a topic than to very specific details. You might get, from a long ramble, that the important element of the story was that it was fall, evening, and cold. And not specifically recall, say, November 2 at 1am.

Anywho. I still dig this kind of stuff. Everything about the way our heads work, or don't, as the case may be.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Founding Member

FWIW, aced the quiz after both aural and written.

I agree with RW's criticism of the test.

I find it amazing that, out of the universe of possible texts, the BBC chose one about an American murderer.

Ned
Old 11-08-2008, 02:39 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedYoung View Post
FWIW, aced the quiz after both aural and written.

I agree with RW's criticism of the test.

I find it amazing that, out of the universe of possible texts, the BBC chose one about an American murderer.

Ned
I'm not at all surprised you're good at retaining details Ned, that's been the hallmark of your Festool specific posts since Yahoo.

I guess BBC was going for a ratings boost. I noticed that CBS was the most popular network in the most recent ratings. It seems like half of their shows are glamorizing murder in one way or another.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Inactive Member

I hate these faulty cause-and-effect assertions. It is like saying that drinking milk causes cancer, because a high percentage of cancer patients drink milk.

Here the assertion is that the Internet makes bad listeners. Long before the Internet came about, it was well known that audio retention is the lowest, followed by visual, and finally reading. In this case, the test also asks for irrelevant information for the topic. What difference does it make what the guy's last name is, as it relates to the Dr.'s guilt or innocence? People tend to retain the information they believe to be significant, not the needless details.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickChristopherson View Post
I hate these faulty cause-and-effect assertions. It is like saying that drinking milk causes cancer, because a high percentage of cancer patients drink milk.
Amen. I have been battling with a customer over cracks appearing in a part we machine. It happens in assembly and the cause is so obvious that even folks wit no engineering or even mechanical backgrounds can see it. The problem is that the real cause absolves me of any fault and will require some change on the part of the design. The engineer just wants someone to charge the part cost against and I am the likely party. It's 4 pieces now but could easily be 400 next time so I am digging in my heels. His contention was that I machined the parts incorrectly, in a manner impossible to do with our process, and because the engineer has zero machining experience he cannot grasp this. His claim is that he is the customer and there was a component failure. I told him the guy who buys the truck is the customer and he will care little with an explanation that it was a machinist's error (it wasn't). I also pointed out that his boss will have little tolerance with a 'blame it on somebody else who has no authority to change anything' attitude when a big group of failures takes place. I have offered solutions but all of them require a change that would admit a design flaw.