talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 10:41 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: Pasadena - Gamble House Tour / Get together

The only tickets that can be bought before Saturday are for the 2:00 pm tour. There were only 11 of those left. I think that we're better off just being there at 10:00 am and getting the first come, first serve tickets for the other times.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post
The only tickets that can be bought before Saturday are for the 2:00 pm tour. There were only 11 of those left. I think that we're better off just being there at 10:00 am and getting the first come, first serve tickets for the other times.
I misunderstood. Let's see if I can do better:

Day-of-the-tour tickets aren't available before the day. So if we all show up at 10, perhaps we do the tour at 10, perhaps 11, perhaps we decide to it at 1, or something.

But there's very little chance we'll make the trek of 100 miles and not be able to see the house together that day.

Do I have it?

Ned
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-06-2008, 10:54 PM

Yep, except that the tours don't start until noon.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Perfect Little Angel

Hey we are in. Been pretty busy with stuff around here and sulking over the election and prop's in CA. I'll get over it... Mike give Annette a call on here cell to get everything firmed up. Thanks

Chris...
Old 11-08-2008, 02:14 PM

Several more people voted on the time and place polls. If you voted, but can't make it, can you still contact me? Perhaps I can figure out why more folks can't make it and we can adjust.

Mike
Old 11-09-2008, 04:52 PM

another bump
Old 11-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

So how was the Gamble House? Any pictures? :sdrool:
Old 11-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

So how was the Gamble House? Any pictures?
Peter, the wildfires closed several of the freeways, and that plus the dense smoke and ash made travel pretty tough. ChrisM and his wife could not even get to Pasadena because of all the closed routes. That was a big disappointment to the rest of us.

But, those of us who were able to get there did have a good time. They didn't allow any photo taking in the house, so I never got my camera out. I don't know if anyone else took any photos.

What a great bunch of folks to hang out with!

Next stop, the Sam Maloof House.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I'm glad the house was still standing once you got there!

How are you doing with the fires? Anyone else here affected? We've been spared so far this year, but there's still time...
Old 11-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

Well, I'm glad the house was still standing once you got there!

How are you doing with the fires? ...
The Gamble House has been there for a hundred years, it would be a real shame to lose it now.

We're doing okay at our house, except the air is still pretty bad.

We're up in the hills and we had a fire that burned pretty close a couple of years ago, so there's not too much fuel left.

Last month we were evacuated during the 14,000 acre "Sesnon" fire, which looked like it might come our way despite the low brush level around us.

This weekend, the 28000 acre (so far) Sylmar fire was being pushed our way by 70 mph winds. We were worried enough for a while on Saturday morning that we almost skipped the Gamble House trip. But when the fire ran into the burned area from last month it made a hard turn and went the other way.

We live in a wind corridor, and any wind driven fire that starts either North or East of us is likely to come our way. Over the years, several have blown through here and gone all the way to Malibu (about 20 miles away). At 60 or 70 mph, these fires sound like a giant locomotive racing towards us, very scary.

The Orange County fires this weekend are another major disaster. Many homes lost already, hopefully no more today.

In the Sylmar fire, over 500 mobile homes were lost on Saturday, in just one park. No lives reported lost so far, and that's truly amazing.

Peter, I hope you have an uneventful fire season this year.